This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Math and Science => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Jacobbus

Posted: 27 Jun 2007 02:17:01 pm    Post subject:

I 've got the formula:

t/V=((α*ω*η)/(2*A^2*ΔP))*V+((η*β)/(A*ΔP))

In which are:
t = Time [s]
V = Volume Filtraat [m^3]
α = Specific resistance of filtered solids [m/kg]
ω = density solids [kg/m^3]
η = Viscositie suspension [Pa*s]
A = Filterarea [m^2]
ΔP = presure [Pa]
β = resistance filter [1/m]

And I'm wondering if its right
the piece before the equal sign devides time in seconds over volume in m^3
so the formula must be in s/m^3
but I can't realy find out if it is, and I thougt you are better in math then I am so why not ask.
I thougt it was different because the piece before the + sign gives me:
((m/kg*kg/m^3*Pa*s)/(2*(A^2)^2*Pa))*m^3
simplify: (Pa's away kg's away A^2^2 =A^4 and m*m^-3=m^-2)
((m^-2*s)/(2*m^4))*m^3
simplify further:
s/(2*m^3)
do i do something wrong there?????????????

the piece after the + sign gives its number right in s/m^3 so if the fist part was also in s/m^3 it the 2 of em added would also be in s/m^3 right

but i cant get the fitst to be in s/m^3 so do i do something wrong or should the formula not have the times 2 in the first part?

by the way it looks a lot simpler if you write it down on paper Wink
WikiGuru
ADOS (Attention deficit... Oh! Shiny!)

Elite

Posted: 27 Jun 2007 02:36:01 pm    Post subject:

Just glancing over it, but maybe it's because you need a constant, preferably one that have units to change the units you have into a correct unit (This is my chemistry for the day :biggrin: )?

I don't know if you know about the reaction rate constant, but you might and it adjusts the equation accordingly to get the units to work out.

r=k[A]m[B]n

r is the rate (mol*L-1*sec-1)
k is the constant
[A] is the concentration of substance A (mol*L-1)
[B], same as above except it's substance B
m and n are the orders of the rate in proportion to both [A] and [B], m for [A] and n for [B] (unit less)

If m+n=0: units of k are mol*L-1*sec-1
If m+n=1: units of k are sec-1
If m+n=2: units of k are L*mol-1*sec-1
... so on and so forth.

I know all this jabbering wasn't relevant to the question (which I have very little knowledge of) but hopefully this may jar your memory into remembering some constant with such a property?
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Jun 2007 03:05:37 pm    Post subject:

You're right about it being s/m³. I left the "2" before the plus sign out completely since it's unit-less and would probably distract me at some point. Breaking Pascals down to "kg/m²" I got...

[font="Courier"]
(m * kg * kg * s * m³ / kg * m³ * m²) / (m^4 * (kg / ) )

I hate dividing fractions by fractions. I'd rather have just 1 long numerator and 1 long denominator. So I merged the black and red terms into one numerator. Then merged the green and blue terms into one denominator.

m * kg * kg * s * m³ * / kg * m³ * m² * m^4 * kg

All "kg"s canceled. Then adding up the m's...

s * m^6 / m^9

And that led to seconds/meter³. Er...I guess it works out best on paper.

Last edited by Guest on 27 Jun 2007 03:07:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jacobbus

Posted: 27 Jun 2007 03:35:06 pm    Post subject:

Ok thanks DigiTan, I've got it now, it was my fault to keep the 2 in.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Jun 2007 04:20:50 pm    Post subject:

For what it's worth, it took me a couple tries to keep from getting seconds/meter right of the "+" sign.

This kind of reminds me, there's this program for making math formula jpegs but I forgot the name. It's like "Math Print" or "Math Scribe" or something.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Jun 2007 06:03:22 pm    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
For what it's worth, it took me a couple tries to keep from getting seconds/meter right of the "+" sign.

This kind of reminds me, there's this program for making math formula jpegs but I forgot the name.  It's like "Math Print" or "Math Scribe" or something.
[post="109406"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Most advanced Word-type programs can do it (I think; I know OpenOffice can); if you have Maple or Mathematica (then you're a spoiled rich nerd) they can do it. You can use LaTeX to do it, which there's a bunch of free editors for (so I'm told); you can use an online LaTeX equation editor (thanks to thornahawk for the link) to do it as welll (it has handy buttons if you're not familiar with LaTeX syntax). All in all, it seems to be quite easy to make a cool-looking formula.

Edit: something like this (pretty, neh?) (I can't vouch for the science though, I got it from the formula in the first post and may well have copied something wrong) [attachment=1791:attachment]

Last edited by Guest on 27 Jun 2007 06:18:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 28 Jun 2007 01:41:42 am    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:

This kind of reminds me, there's this program for making math formula jpegs but I forgot the name.  It's like "Math Print" or "Math Scribe" or something.
[post="109406"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You're probably thinking of MathType. I like it a lot.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement