This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
aronjames

Posted: 13 Oct 2003 05:33:17 pm    Post subject:

I am making a App GUI for the 83+ that is similar to Win 95. Some of the features I plan on including are:

1. Password Protection
2. A Program Manager with folders etc
3. A Desktop with icons for favorite programs
4. graphical mouse with 8 way scrolling
5. will run Basic, nostub asm and a version of asm that I plan on creating that has a syntax similiar to Basic
6. A Painter
7. Changeable icons
8. keeps track of personal settings
9. Memory recovery
10. Name. Yet to decide

There are more that I just cant remember right now. I have already created some of the core of the application and screen shots and other info is available upon request to anyone interested in join the team. You can reach me at email: aronjames@thegrid.net MSN IM: redoctober0002@hotmail.com
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 13 Oct 2003 06:35:22 pm    Post subject:

How much like windows 95 will this be? Looks only? Or will it include the BSOD and all that other nonsense?
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 13 Oct 2003 11:57:05 pm    Post subject:

why do i feel as if ive seen this b4? oh bcuz im working on a project called DragonOS that has almost the exact same features word for word.
only known difference: DragonOS probably has a better programmer Laughing Razz
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 14 Oct 2003 08:26:30 am    Post subject:

JACstudios_ceo wrote:
How much like windows 95 will this be? Looks only? Or will it include the <b>BSOD</b> and all that other nonsense?

in DragonOS, there will be no BSOD (blue screen of death - windows; Black screen of death - Calculator), but there will be a BSOH ( Black screen of help) Razz
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 14 Oct 2003 09:38:35 am    Post subject:

That's good. If only microsoft cared that much...
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 14 Oct 2003 11:52:32 am    Post subject:

yes. ;)

how it will probably work: DragonOS will return error message with error number. then you can look at the readme.txt in the zip from ticalc.org (to save space) for a description of the problem and what you can do to fix it (in common folk english, not high-tech english) Smile Laughing
aronjames

Posted: 14 Oct 2003 03:16:03 pm    Post subject:

No my project is not a copy cat of yours. I had been toying with this idea for a while and have been coding it on my own but I have realized that this is too big a project to be easily completed by one programmer. Another difference is that I am coding in pure ASM so that there arnt any problems that are common to basic and hybrid coded programs.

Also here are a few more features being implemented:

1. Multiple windows (up to 4 at the moment)
2. Custon Dialog boxes
3. Sound effects
4. Custom File sharing
5. Built in games

It is going to be like Win 95 in looks only. And if I do decide to include an BSOD it would only be as an easter egg. And Darth when you make DRAGONOS completely in asm using nobody elses code but your own then we can talk about who is better. Until then consider us as equals.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Oct 2003 04:06:55 pm    Post subject:

Darth Android wrote:
how it will probably work: DragonOS will return error message with error number. then you can look at the readme for a description of the problem and what you can do to fix it

Just like windows, is it not?
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 14 Oct 2003 06:16:10 pm    Post subject:

if you can tell me where i can find out in the manual what "fatal 0E error" means in the manual and where it says what i can do about in, ill really appreaciate it ;)

minor differences
62 52 53 53
Formerly known as 62 52 53 53

Posted: 20 Oct 2003 02:35:27 pm    Post subject:

Um, well, the manual should tell you how to contact microsoft, and they hired the people who programmed the error handler(or maybe we shouldn't call it an error handler, but an error-repetition-inducer), so you might be able to get it from the manual in an indirect sort of way...

Darth, if it's not too hard, you could program an add on that would describe the errors on-calc.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 20 Oct 2003 04:40:47 pm    Post subject:

internal database update="aronjames = good friend"
maybe we could put our heads together, no? Laughing
i may be dreaming, but i planned to eventially code DragonOS into asm, then have it overwrite the TIOS and fully replace it. i will continue to dream on....
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 20 Oct 2003 11:43:23 pm    Post subject:

Darth Android wrote:
why do i feel as if ive seen this b4? oh bcuz im working on a project called DragonOS that has almost the exact same features word for word.
only known difference: DragonOS probably has a better programmer Laughing Razz

As you may know, I origionally had the idea of NimbusOS, which was essentially nothing more than a GUI to run on Z-DOS.

I serriously doubt DragonOS can actually be better than NimbusOS B4 because DragonOS is being writen in Basic with Asm Libraries; therefore, it will be functional but slow. Although Dragon OS may not be better, It may look better than NimbusOS Beta 4.

As far as it goes, I really am not concerned because I am sure NimbusOS App 1 will be far better than any basic shell.

You said: DragonOS probably has a better programmer Laughing :P

I seriously doubt you are better than David L, who happens to be a guru up there with Michal Vincent and Dan Englender. However, you may be more motivate and have a faster turn out than we did. Lastly, we have all kinds of information stacked away such as keyhooks, getkey hooks, parser hooks, home hooks, interrupt info, start up info...

Lastly, it is very unusuall to send Private Messages asking me (NimbusOS person) to write assembly libraries for DragonOS after saying you are a better programmer.

I will be happy to help.

-Jbirk
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 20 Oct 2003 11:46:09 pm    Post subject:

Darth Android wrote:
yes. ;)

how it will probably work: DragonOS will return error message with error number. then you can look at the readme.txt in the zip from ticalc.org (to save space) for a description of the problem and what you can do to fix it (in common folk english, not high-tech english) Smile Laughing

I think we will look ours up from teh data section in the code and display the appropriate error message.

BTW, good luck makeing an error handler work in a regular assembly program. You will find that it works great until you exit the program after which TI-OS will fead the user all sorts of wonderful error messages.

You can call this a feature, or you can make an application.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 20 Oct 2003 11:51:58 pm    Post subject:

aronjames wrote:
No my project is not a copy cat of yours. I had been toying with this idea for a while and have been coding it on my own but I have realized that this is too big a project to be easily completed by one programmer. Another difference is that I am coding in pure ASM so that there arnt any problems that are common to basic and hybrid coded programs.

Also here are a few more features being implemented:

1. Multiple windows (up to 4 at the moment)
2. Custon Dialog boxes
3. Sound effects
4. Custom File sharing
5. Built in games

It is going to be like Win 95 in looks only. And if I do decide to include an BSOD it would only be as an easter egg. And Darth when you make DRAGONOS completely in asm using nobody elses code but your own then we can talk about who is better. Until then consider us as equals.

Multiple Windows:

Cool idea really, especially if you have a mouse. With a resolution of 96 X 64, having 4 windows open at the same time should be fun especially without using fullscreen.

Not to meantion getting multiple programs to run at once is more than a chore if you are going to truely have 4 programs running in separate windows.

Next I must say that resizing will be cool, you will love having your program calculate that and every once in a while have a program write outside it's window

You will need to use sprites to keep the correct window on top and to make it so you can bring one to the top quickly. You will find that basic is too slow.

Custom Dialog Boxes:

Cool concept Nimbus App 1 has these too.

Sound:

More power to you; external hardware not included.

File Sharing:

In Basic?

I can see this in asm if you read up on Silent Linking. This can be a good idea to have your calculator share files with one other calculator.

Built in games:

Usually a waste of space.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 20 Oct 2003 11:55:45 pm    Post subject:

Darth Android wrote:
i may be dreaming, but i planned to eventially code DragonOS into asm, then have it overwrite the TIOS and fully replace it. i will continue to dream on....

Your SQL syntax is invalid. Wacko

[sql]UPDATE internaltable SET good_friend='Aron James';[/sql]

That will update every instance of good_friend for all records in internaltable; furthermore, any real SQL language will recognize it. Smile

Last edited by Guest on 20 Oct 2003 11:56:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 21 Oct 2003 06:25:41 pm    Post subject:

JBirk, you seem to be getting a little weird lately. What's wrong?

-> DarthAndroid was refering to aronjames's OS, not yours.
-> aronjames's OS is an APP, not a BASIC program.
-> aronjames said nothing of resizeable windows, just multiple ones.

Try this: READ THE POSTS.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 22 Oct 2003 11:47:11 am    Post subject:

Jbirk wrote:
Darth Android wrote:

Your SQL syntax is invalid. Wacko

[sql]UPDATE internaltable SET good_friend='Aron James';[/sql]

That will update every instance of good_friend for all records in internaltable; furthermore, any real SQL language will recognize it. Smile

um... I am not prgrammed in MySQL... I have a language of my own...
62 52 53 53
Formerly known as 62 52 53 53

Posted: 22 Oct 2003 02:48:49 pm    Post subject:

Is it written in base 7?
Anyway, You should make a version to work with the 'inline(' function available in some omnicalc versions.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement