This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 18 Jun 2007 12:33:30 am    Post subject:

Is there a way to edit the registry so that if you click on a file of a certain file type say .exe it will run a specific file like a .bat file before running the .exe file? I want to password protect programs with a bat file so they cannot be run without entering a password. I know I can edit the registry to not allow the program to be run at all for a specific user but that is not what I want to do.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Jun 2007 07:28:15 am    Post subject:

Windows Explorer
Tools->Folder Options
File Types
New
File extension: exe
Advanced
Associated File Type: Application
Ok

Then change what it is opened with.
benryves

Posted: 18 Jun 2007 07:35:49 am    Post subject:

.bat files are for DOS. They run in the 16-bit subsystem. Wink
The Windows equivalent are .cmd files.

Alternatively, just do it the proper way (ie, set permissions on the exe so only you can run it). Right-click the file, Properties, Security tab (if on XP, disable simple file sharing first - you can find this option in the folder options control panel applet). Then set up access rights so that your only account can run the application. If you wish to run the application from another account, right-click it and select Run As, where you can punch in a username and password.

Edit: You allude to that in your original post, but that has nothing to do with the registry (and everything to do with the file system).

Last edited by Guest on 18 Jun 2007 10:37:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 18 Jun 2007 03:15:11 pm    Post subject:

benryves wrote:
.bat files are for DOS. They run in the 16-bit subsystem. Wink
The Windows equivalent are .cmd files.

Alternatively, just do it the proper way (ie, set permissions on the exe so only you can run it). Right-click the file, Properties, Security tab (if on XP, disable simple file sharing first - you can find this option in the folder options control panel applet). Then set up access rights so that your only account can run the application. If you wish to run the application from another account, right-click it and select Run As, where you can punch in a username and password.

Edit: You allude to that in your original post, but that has nothing to do with the registry (and everything to do with the file system).
[post="108547"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I know the difference between .bat and .cmd files. Both can be run from within Windows to do basicly the same thing. That's why I didn't really care which extension I used.

The reason I mentioned registry is because most things such as this that can be done the way you show can also be manually edited in the registry to do the same thing, because while you change settings in windows the registry is also modified to accomodate for the changes.

Thanks for your help though.

Last edited by Guest on 18 Jun 2007 03:17:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 18 Jun 2007 10:24:49 pm    Post subject:

Okay,

I would recommend you use Group Policy to apply AppSec application policies to various users or groups. There really is no method to not allow a user to run a program from a bat file or anything like that. All a person has to do is read the contents of the batch file, start run the program, find and double click it, or execute it probably a dozen other ways. The best method is really AppSec. It prevents the shell explorer.exe from executing the program for a non-authorized user as well as cmd and other loaders.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement