This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
ForthReich

Posted: 12 Jun 2007 08:33:20 pm    Post subject:

How do you guys make your websites?
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Jun 2007 08:35:17 pm    Post subject:

Notepad (HTML 4.01/CSS), MS Paint, IrfanView, The GIMP.

Last edited by Guest on 12 Jun 2007 08:41:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
ForthReich

Posted: 12 Jun 2007 08:39:58 pm    Post subject:

I should have been more specific. We (rcfreak0 mainly) can make the site, but how should it be hosted?
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Jun 2007 08:46:47 pm    Post subject:

I believe majority of the side-calc forums use FreeHostia.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Jun 2007 08:50:10 pm    Post subject:

5gigs.com is nice

it all depends on what you want from your host. there a couple good sites out there that let you specify criteria for the features you want and run a search.
ForthReich

Posted: 12 Jun 2007 08:50:44 pm    Post subject:

They claim a "free" hosting service. To my knowledge, you don't get much for free, EXCEPT UTI :biggrin: . I want to know it this "free" service is really free.
Xphoenix

Elite

Posted: 12 Jun 2007 08:55:23 pm    Post subject:

Probably. I can immediately recall at least three forums hosted by freehostia, and for all I know, all they do is manage the forums and graphics Smile
ForthReich

Posted: 12 Jun 2007 09:22:37 pm    Post subject:

I don't have FrontPage (Win 98 :biggrin: ), but waaaaaay back I learned Java. Can a site reasonably be made in Java?
c_plus_plus
My Face Hertz

Posted: 12 Jun 2007 09:26:10 pm    Post subject:

not completely unless you want you use java server pages (which i know little about.) I would recommend just using notepad if you have nothing else. Im sure you will need to know html almost whatever method you chose. One program I haven't tried is nvu. Its a free, open source program that is like dreamweaver or frontpage.
Vinthian
formerly known as shortround4271

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Jun 2007 09:35:57 pm    Post subject:

Notepad2 for XHTML, HTML 4.01, CSS, and JavaScript.
Photoshop, Paint (bitmap) for images.
FileZilla for FTP.
I have a paid host, but you can use FreeHostia, best free host, ever.
Sometimes, if I get lazy, I integrate CuteNews for content management with a lot of modifications that I know by heart now.

ForthReich wrote:
They claim a "free" hosting service. To my knowledge, you don't get much for free, EXCEPT UTI :biggrin: . I want to know it this "free" service is really free.
[post="107874"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes, this host is free and very reliable. I renewed my free plan up until 2052 or so. Smile
A few downsides to it, the maximum file size is 512kb, which, I think, is a good size since it eliminates file hosting, and is adequate for images and websites. Most PHP and HTML files don't go over 10kbs anyways, and images are 100kb+. If you want to test out your php scripts, you should try this out.

Last edited by Guest on 12 Jun 2007 09:51:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
ForthReich

Posted: 12 Jun 2007 09:54:55 pm    Post subject:

I am getting an impression that this free site won't let me have people upload files for a sort of wiki. Hopefully TI-Robocode won't have many fans Neutral
pugboy

Posted: 12 Jun 2007 10:11:56 pm    Post subject:

ForthReich wrote:
I am getting an impression that this free site won't let me have people upload files for a sort of wiki. Hopefully TI-Robocode won't have many fans Neutral
[post="107893"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think it might host a Wiki... Freehostia hosts my forum! You can download things on my site and add attachments, so I don't see why a wiki should be much harder to host...
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 12 Jun 2007 11:37:10 pm    Post subject:

ForthReich wrote:
It sounds like all you really need is a wiki, so why not just use one of the free wiki services?
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Jun 2007 07:05:20 am    Post subject:

Actually... I planed on going with 1and1.com and registering a domain name. Since it's not going to be just for TI robocode, Only half of it will be a wiki- the rest a site dedicated to calculators. If anyone has any other suggestions before i register a doamin name and start a hosting package (with 1 and 1) let me know please.

--rcfreak0
Groene07

Posted: 13 Jun 2007 10:13:34 am    Post subject:

I wish I could be apart of a websire team. Sigh.... Cool
ForthReich

Posted: 13 Jun 2007 07:30:27 pm    Post subject:

I'm kinda upset rcfreak wants to go with a paying site right away, because I'm sure he'll want me to pay part of it. I really hope some influential opinions can be posted, at least from anyone other than rcfreak. Smile
Vinthian
formerly known as shortround4271

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Jun 2007 08:06:13 pm    Post subject:

i'd suggest just going with a subdomain and freehostia if your just starting out. no real point in paying for something you might not need down the road. you can also use a domain name with freehostia if you really want to, just buy the domain which doesn't cost much compared to hosting ($9 on godaddy).
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Jun 2007 09:34:55 pm    Post subject:

Fourth, Ill pay for it all...*sigh*. But the domain wont be up till next week beacuse i have yet to get paid from my job, and i lost my frontpage install key.... ;(
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Jun 2007 08:38:00 am    Post subject:

rcfreak0 wrote:
Actually... I planed on going with 1and1.com and registering a domain name. Since it's not going to be just for TI robocode, Only half of it will be a wiki- the rest a site dedicated to calculators. If anyone has any other suggestions before i register a doamin name and start a hosting package (with 1 and 1) let me know please.

--rcfreak0
[post="107909"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well since you're just starting out you'll need a main domain for all your work. Secondly, you won't need more than 1 domain since, well you're just starting out. You will however want seperate projects, working areas, or whatever, so make sure that the one domain you get provides you with everything you could possibly need. Email service, unlimited subdomains, and so on.

Also, 1and1.com in google gives their site for the first result and then all sorts of sites complaining about them.

Since you lack experience with these things you should want accesible full control over your account. In other words you want their customer service to be reachable, responsive, and compliant. This should be priority #1, everything else are technical details depending on what extend of hosting service you require.
benryves

Posted: 14 Jun 2007 09:32:10 am    Post subject:

FrontPage produces pretty horrible HTML.

Expression supposedly does a much better job. These days I hand-code everything, using the excellent Programmer's Notepad (get the latest beta).
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement