This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 07 Jun 2007 11:52:18 am    Post subject:

Prepare to be underwhelmed by my 2000th post.

Well, every so often I've been dropping hints to a "secret project." This is the only calculator program I've been working on for a long time, and I haven't really been working on it much either. It was pretty close to finish several months ago, but I've run into several problems:
(1)Copyright infringement. I had to completely change it after this one. (Original game was Theseus and the Minotaur. The creator wants me to charge for it and pay him.)
(2)RAM Clears. Standard excuse
(3)Losing link cable / TiLP installation problems
(4)Forgetting all about it / not being able to find calculator
(5)Laziness

Since I don't want to drop this again, I'm posting what I have here. The code hasn't been touched in a few months, but I think it all mostly works.

I don't have a title, but right now ACHNGDE is the main program. You are in a maze and have to get the X out. It moves with the arrow keys, but x moves inverted. You have to get X to the door while x opens it with the switch (theta). If you want a different animation for clearing a level, change the first line in prgmACLEAR. I couldn't decide on a single effect to use.

Mostly the game was built around showing off a 6x6 maze storage and display technique. Levels take up only 45 bytes each, and can store up to 28 wall segments as well as starting positions for each non-wall element.

There aren't very many levels built-in, but I also made a level editor. Controls might not be obvious, but you should be able to figure them out. I'm not sure exactly what state it's in, but I think you can save to LTEST. To store level sets to other lists, just copy it to another list. Use the load feature in the main program to play it. (You can type either LTEST or just TEST). Alternatively, you can just leave the list in Ans and call the main program. (It's possible in this way to make external level programs)

Please play with it, hack it, make levels, give me a name/story, whatever. I hope that by releasing what I have now I can eventually finish this.

Last edited by Guest on 07 Jun 2007 11:52:43 am; edited 1 time in total
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 07 Jun 2007 01:01:51 pm    Post subject:

/me gets an awsome idea for [confidential]

This is an awsome puzzle. I like it a lot. Takes some getting used to though...

Anyway, it's brilliant!
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 07 Jun 2007 02:00:51 pm    Post subject:

I love maze games! Especially ones that are based on ancient Greek mythology Razz
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 07 Jun 2007 03:54:04 pm    Post subject:

frenchcalc1 wrote:
I love maze games! Especially ones that are based on ancient Greek mythology Razz  [post="106971"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
This has no connection to ancient Greek mythology whatsover.
No chance of seeing one that is for the calculator because of the TOU of its creator.
http://www.logicmazes.com/terms.html wrote:
Please write to me if you have plans for using any of my games. I will generally grant non-exclusive rights to use a game if it will be distributed in a form that must be paid for (for example, as a download that is purchased or on a CD that is purchased). I will not grant rights to use a game in a program that is given away free (for example, as a free download or passed around by e-mail). Furthermore, I must be acknowledged as the original inventor of the game and I must be paid a percentage of any purchase price or royalties.

I get a lot of letters from people who want the rights to a game and they assure me they won’t use it for any commercial purposes. They’ll only pass it on to their friends. That’s exactly what I don’t want. If a game gets passed around for free, then it falls into the public domain. People assume it’s some ancient game and no one really invented it. I feel strongly that creators should get credit for their creations and they should be paid for them.

Thanks for the compliments, guys. Before it gets to my head though, did everything work? I have a feeling that won't be the case.
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 07 Jun 2007 03:59:59 pm    Post subject:

I didn't notice any bugs when I played the two built in levels.
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 07 Jun 2007 04:05:16 pm    Post subject:

alexrudd wrote:
frenchcalc1 wrote:
I love maze games! Especially ones that are based on ancient Greek mythology Razz 
This has no connection to ancient Greek mythology whatsover.

Well, the original title was "Theseus and the Minotaur", right? Not that the game itself is based on greek mythology, but its name. Laughing

Yeah, I remember reading a topic about your frustration with this guy over his games. But he can't really sue you, can he?

Last edited by Guest on 07 Jun 2007 04:05:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
nitacku

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Jun 2007 04:13:54 pm    Post subject:

Just tried the game out.
It's Amazing! :)

Get it? A -maze - ing Razz
c_plus_plus
My Face Hertz

Posted: 07 Jun 2007 04:37:35 pm    Post subject:

alexrudd wrote:
(1)Copyright infringement.  I had to completely change it after this one. (Original game was Theseus and the Minotaur.  The creator wants me to charge for it and pay him.)
[post="106962"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Are you talking about this?

If so, nothing short of a Patent cant keep you from using his Idea. A copyright only keeps you from either copying his actual program or code.
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 07 Jun 2007 05:16:11 pm    Post subject:

c_plus_plus wrote:
Are you talking about this?

If so, nothing short of a Patent cant keep you from using his Idea. A copyright only keeps you from either copying his actual program or code.
Your statement isn't entirely true. While the idea by itself may not be copyrightable, the unique combination of the idea with presentation, design, gameplay, etc. can be copyrightable. With that said, I personally don't think alexrudd has anything to worry about, considering there are similar games already available on the Internet.

Last edited by Guest on 07 Jun 2007 05:17:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 07 Jun 2007 05:23:40 pm    Post subject:

The Berne copyright convention states that only ideas in a tangible form can be protected under it. So, the same idea in different forms do not infringe on one another's copyright, because they are different.

So, I don't think the owner should be able to make you pay. It's not like you're going to take his code and use it directly Smile.

But the game. It is very clever. I haven't been able to beat the first level, but it is a challenge in and of itself. :biggrin:

Last edited by Guest on 07 Jun 2007 05:24:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 07 Jun 2007 05:37:02 pm    Post subject:

Bah, I just wanted to avoid any possible problems, no matter how slight they may be. I know there's a 99% chance nothing would ever happen, but part of it was I didn't agree with that guys attitude and so don't want to make his game. Find another sucker; I've got my own original game now. :P

I'm surprised people are finding the levels challenging. (Guess that's a good thing Very Happy) I just threw them together really. Once you discover a few tricks they're not all that hard. I'm not sure if there is a way to make them more difficult after you discover those tricks.

Anyone tried the level editor? You *should* be able to upload the lists and have others play your levels.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement