This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Jun 2007 03:27:45 pm    Post subject:

Okay, I just moved off campus. Unfortunately, while unpacking my first boxes, I learned the apartment complex does not support the cable internet I've been using for the past 6 months. TV yes, HD yes, internet no.

So I'm looking for the next best thing...DSL. Basically, I'm only considering companies with...

* No contracts
* Stable, reliable connections
* No contracts
* No annoying software or pop-ups (ie: Earthlink)
* Responsive tech support/repairs
* No contracts

So does anyone here recommend anyone in particular? My biggest annoyance are companies that can't or don't respond to line issues. So I'd prefer to get the service from a telco. Also, I hate bundled software that has ads or spyware.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Jun 2007 07:38:40 pm    Post subject:

also research them to make sure they don't squelch certain types of traffic or impose an unpublicized bandwidth restriction
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Jun 2007 07:15:38 am    Post subject:

There's always a bandwidth restriction. Just check if it's anywhere near your expected use.

Also, could you get tv + phone + internet on one subscription? We can get that over here and it's muchos cheaperos.

Last edited by Guest on 05 Jun 2007 07:16:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 05 Jun 2007 02:24:24 pm    Post subject:

I think what Arcane said is probably the best deal doing that $99 dollar a month thing where you get phone, tv, and internet. Most companies (Verizon & Comcast) that offer all three usually give that deal. DSL isn't bad. Like Arcane said there are bandwidth restrictions, but where I live in Florida, Verizon has just now got here to compete against Comcast so most of the residents are using Comcast which can use up your bandwidth, giving Verizon an advantage. Between the two companies I would suggest trying to get the Verizon fios (TV, Internet, and Phone) for $99 if it is available in your area. They're putting in fios cables everywhere in Florida now. There in the neighborhood next to me, but I still can't get it yet. Anyway if fios isn't available try and find friends who use different internet companies and ask if you can benchmark each connection to see who offers the best speed for the same money.

Edit: I noticed in your post you don't want contracts. Im still in high school and live with my parents so I have no idea about company policy toward signing up for internet and if there are penalties for dropping their service or not. I don't think there is with Verizon (which I use). I know my parents would switch from phone company to phone company to save money with no penalty so I don't think when it comes to internet and tv you need to worry about contracts like you do when you get a contract for a cell phone. Don't believe they work the same.

Last edited by Guest on 05 Jun 2007 02:29:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Jun 2007 02:37:08 pm    Post subject:

I've never heard of phone tv or internet without a contract but I know you can switch it still. People here get new ISPs all the time.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Jun 2007 03:00:27 pm    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
Also, could you get tv + phone + internet on one subscription? We can get that over here and it's muchos cheaperos.
[post="106711"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yep. I checked with AT&T-Yahoo and they do a phone+DSL package. I signed up with the 6.0Mbps DSL service plus basic (I mean really basic) phone service for $34.99/month. I still have a couple days to change my mind and such. TV I'll have to wait on until my financial aid goes through (Gah! It's 3 weeks overdue).

Quote:
I noticed in your post you don't want contracts. Im still in high school and live with my parents so I have no idea about company policy toward signing up for internet and if there are penalties for dropping their service or not. I don't think there is with Verizon (which I use). I know my parents would switch from phone company to phone company to save money with no penalty so I don't think when it comes to internet and tv you need to worry about contracts like you do when you get a contract for a cell phone. Don't believe they work the same.

Yeah. I heard some companies changed as much as $200 for early termination on contracts. I figure since this is my first DSL, I'd better test the waters first. There's also a rebate on the DSL modem, so that equipment will be basically free unless they try to scam me on the rebate. The major downside I saw with AT&T is they auto-bill your credit card whereas I prefer to do things through the mail so I can keep records. Verizon looked good too. I'll go with them if AT&T doesn't work out.
Vinthian
formerly known as shortround4271

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Jun 2007 03:17:48 pm    Post subject:

I'm using AT&T Yahoo myself, but with a contract, good thing they give you a choice. I have the Pro package which is 3.0 mbps, which I can live with. It was really cheap with the 1 year contract last year, only 17.99, but now it's gone up to 24.99 with a shorter contract. Great reliability though, It's only gone dead on me for a few minutes every two or three months. My modem was like $20 after rebates, 4 slots for LAN. Smile

Last edited by Guest on 05 Jun 2007 03:18:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Jun 2007 03:29:26 pm    Post subject:

Ah, that's encouraging! Depending on my actual speeds I may get 3.0Mbps afterward. I figured I'd better wait it out in case the speeds at this location are lower than advertised.
Taricorp

Posted: 05 Jun 2007 05:12:29 pm    Post subject:

I have SBC DSL, although it's a lowly 1.5 mbps connection ($10 a month, though). Problem is, I never get over 480 kbps, which probably has something to do with the connection to them being on 9000 feet of coax cable, which is more than 2000 feet over the length they like to go over. However, they were pretty nice when we inquired about it. The sent a guy over, he told us that (the 9000 feet of coax thing), and they could put us on fiber if we wanted them to. Worst thing is, though, that we're getting this through a middleman, so they won't do it for free, so I'm stuck with a slow connection.
Vinthian

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Jun 2007 05:21:18 pm    Post subject:

your using the phone line filters, right? my speed went up to about 2.5mbps after.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 06 Jun 2007 02:08:53 am    Post subject:

I'm quite happy with my ISP and service.

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 06 Jun 2007 11:56:12 am    Post subject:

I have a quick question. Do you think Verizon Fios at 5mbps would prove faster more often than Comcast cable at 6mbps? When I mean faster I mean for download and upload speeds.
Vinthian

Advanced Member

Posted: 06 Jun 2007 01:21:37 pm    Post subject:

Upstream is faster most definitely. FiOS is a lot better than cable, even with the 1mbps difference there. Too bad we can't get it where I live Sad.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Jun 2007 01:35:53 pm    Post subject:

How do you know that?
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 Jun 2007 03:04:09 pm    Post subject:

Whoo-hoo! I gots my internet back. The 6.0Mbps service seems just as fast as the cable connection. Of course, it might take a few rounds of Tribes Vengeance to convince me. Now $64,000 Question: is it reliable? :ninja:

Last edited by Guest on 08 Jun 2007 03:05:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vinthian

Advanced Member

Posted: 08 Jun 2007 05:46:41 pm    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
How do you know that?
[post="106834"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

the upstream is just as important as the downstream, and most cable companies fail to realize it, and don't do anything about it, like comcast. you can get 6mbps downstream and less than 512kbps upstream and your connection will struggle when your uploading anything. i know because my cousin Pennsylvania has FiOS.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 Jun 2007 05:59:21 pm    Post subject:

LOL. I don't think a major corporation full of telecom engineers will "fail to realize" something that obvious. Wink It's most likely a limitation of the network. In phone or any other medium, you're always limited to signaling within certain a spectrum. Otherwise, you're hit with crosstalk. If DSL is full-duplex (I really don't know if it is) I'd wager downloads take up the higher spectrum since home users spend more time downloads. Then the upstream stuff happens in the next-highest spectrum and so on.

Either way, I'm liking DSL so far. Sooo much better than dial up! :biggrin: Cool

Last edited by Guest on 08 Jun 2007 06:01:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vinthian

Advanced Member

Posted: 08 Jun 2007 08:53:13 pm    Post subject:

your right on that. i don't think cables were made to take much upstream on them, since you only watch TV and get images, not send them, which DSL uses phonelines that go both ways.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 09 Jun 2007 01:26:27 am    Post subject:

This article seemed somewhat decent at explaining how cable internet works:
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/cable-modem.htm

At the end it links to other types of internet services as well, if you're inclined to read up on those too.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Jun 2007 02:34:46 am    Post subject:

O man. I wish my family could get this out in the rural area. But it's just too remote for DSL.

I came across something weird in the modem literature. It says you get the greatest speed if you leave the modem online for 10 days straight. What's that all about?
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement