This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
David
The XORcist!

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Nov 2003 03:51:39 pm    Post subject:

Kozak wrote:
I hope that your friend enjoyed his life, so he can look back on a happy life.

According to Kozak's post, our lives is nothing more than plain chemistry. From that, one can conclude that when you die, you die definitely and doesn't exist anymore.
Isn't that a contradiction to the quoted statement - how can you look back on your life if you don't exist anymore? Neutral

Last edited by Guest on 19 Nov 2003 03:55:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Nov 2003 05:41:11 pm    Post subject:

Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. -- Frank Herbert

I think that sums up everything I could say on this topic, but in a clearer way.
CoBB

Posted: 20 Nov 2003 02:35:26 am    Post subject:

We don't really know what life really is, it's a vaguely defined concept. You can say that a piece of rock, a star, an ideology or a computer program are also different forms of life. The only sure thing is that life is bounded by birth and death. I don't think the length of that period is really important as opposed to its quality, but seeing young people die always leaves a bad feeling in me.
Matt

Posted: 20 Nov 2003 05:06:59 pm    Post subject:

in case God exists.

what the hell! you idiot there are more facts that Jesus walked the earth than George Washington did! and IM NOT JUST SAYING THAT!
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Nov 2003 06:24:52 pm    Post subject:

The point I am trying to make [s]WITHOUT SHOUTING AT ANYONE[/s] without shouting at anyone is that not everyone believes that God exists, and that if you really believe in God, you must believe in him because you really do - not because you are afraid of going to hell.

I hope you know that not the whole world believes in God, many of those who do believe in Him differently.

Last edited by Guest on 20 Nov 2003 06:27:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 20 Nov 2003 09:24:40 pm    Post subject:

Well, a different view on that is people are doing the right/good thing so they don't get caught doing the wrong/bad thing. Believing in God so they don't go to hell...
CoBB

Posted: 21 Nov 2003 04:24:14 pm    Post subject:

The fact that Jesus is a real person doesn't imply that God exists... Anyway, it's probably not a good idea to call everyone with a different view on the world an "idiot".
Matt

Posted: 24 Nov 2003 04:16:32 pm    Post subject:

My bad man. Sorry bout that! Well . . .yeah If Jesus walked the earth and we know that from facts and then the Bible (the erroless book) tells us that Jesus is God in the other form then yes God does exist!
Jeremiah Walgren

Know-It-All

Posted: 25 Nov 2003 12:11:51 pm    Post subject:

Look at it this way, if you will. A truth exists. People can choose to accept that truth and what it entails, or they can choose not to. The consequences that follow, however, they cannot choose.

Pretty simple I think.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Nov 2003 10:13:14 am    Post subject:

When you are a generally good person, but don't believe in a so called 'god', do you go to hell?
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Nov 2003 11:51:03 am    Post subject:

Of course. If you went to heaven just because you are a generally good person, hell would be empty. Actually, I'm not so sure I want to go to heaven if it is like it is described in the bible.

Wait a minute... Since Christianity didn't exist until 33 AD, does that mean everyone who lived before then goes to hell?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Nov 2003 12:45:15 pm    Post subject:

Meh, I wouldn't want to go to heaven if there's some guy up there who decides that I'm not allowed to go there just because I don't believe in repressing people through philosophical views.
Jeremiah Walgren

Know-It-All

Posted: 26 Nov 2003 08:48:42 pm    Post subject:

These are my views on the subject...

If you're generally a good person, which most people are, but don't believe in God, then no, you don't go to Hell. But you don't go to Heaven either. There's a "middle ground" in a manner of speaking. (Remember, these are my views.)

And no, those before the time of Christ do not go to hell just because they were born at the wrong time. That's almost like a "Limited Atonement" concept. ("Puritans" ring a bell?) My understanding is that it's infinite.
CoBB

Posted: 27 Nov 2003 02:00:42 am    Post subject:

If there was a middle ground, then everyone would be there. Both heaven and hell would be empty...
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Nov 2003 08:34:35 am    Post subject:

Didn't the coming of christ introduce a time where people could go to heaven, because he took over their sins?
Jeremiah Walgren

Know-It-All

Posted: 27 Nov 2003 12:13:07 pm    Post subject:

No Cobb, not everyone would go to the middle ground. Only those who led good lives but decided that God wasn't for them.

People have always been able to go to Heaven. Christ atoned for our sins so that if we repent and follow Him then we won't need to suffer like He did. (Those who don't follow Him and sin will suffer even as He did.)
CoBB

Posted: 27 Nov 2003 01:03:54 pm    Post subject:

But there is no living man who reaches those standards.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Nov 2003 02:24:08 pm    Post subject:

Not even the pope?
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Nov 2003 02:41:28 pm    Post subject:

I think a better question would be, does the pope even believe in God?
CoBB

Posted: 27 Nov 2003 04:50:40 pm    Post subject:

Why would the Pope be an exception?
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement