This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
jfabi82

Posted: 12 May 2007 12:16:25 am    Post subject:

New around here, but here's one I'm sure no one has done (TI-83+/84+, btw).
Perhaps someone (more like a group of people) (I'm not really good with assembly) could come up with an ASM program that could run Ion, and maybe even Mirage ASM programs in BASIC navigation and programs (not in a shell!) . Perhaps one can make an app with hooks to execute programs (like the ones in Omnicalc).
This I will say: it won't be very easy. Getting Ion prgms to work will be hard enough, but MOS much harder (closed-source).
But that's not to say it can't be done. Examples of shells running Ion programs: Mirage OS, Plasma, and oh, yes, that DoorsCS (6.0), which also runs Mirage programs (good job, there).
Farfetched? Of course. But if one does undertake this project, it would open up a new gateway in the world of BASIC programming.
If anyone has anything to say (whether it be "I'll do this," or, "Looks pretty hard," or even, "What's wrong with accessing your programs in the shell? (please don't write that!)" ), just say it! Rolling Eyes
garrett01001

Posted: 12 May 2007 01:11:05 am    Post subject:

I personally don't see there being a need for this..

If you don't like how the shell works (speaking about MOS mainly) then just make your own interface
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 12 May 2007 01:12:09 am    Post subject:

Like an added command in the catalog? If you make it a program that you have to run every time, that IS a shell. I am not sure how the shells make it so that you can only access the game from the shell. Something to do with the include file? That is the only thing that would have to be bypassed really. Then there is just a keyhook, program detection.

And welcome to Uti

Last edited by Guest on 12 May 2007 01:12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 May 2007 04:13:41 am    Post subject:

While I agree it's not entirely useful, you CAN do this.

You can write an application capable of running MirageOS/Ion/whatever programs and have it install a parser hook. That way, your parser hook will be run whenever such a game/program is run from the homescreen or a BASIC program and can set up the libraries and things that it'll need.

The MirageOS source, believe it or not, will be released one day (soon) and when it is, you could probably make a very small modification to it which installs a parser hook and uses MirageOS' runprog entry point to run things.

Or if you REALLY want to, you could modify MirageOS to do this by tacking on a little code at the end and resigning it.

This is all just speculation, of course, but I don't see why not. It'd also be a good thing to tell Kerm, because I'm sure he's looking for ways that people would use DoorsCS over the other shells.

Edit: to baorder54...some Ion/MirageOS programs use the libraries that those shells provide, so the header at the start of the program contains 0C9h ("ret") as the first instruction, so that when you try to run it from the OS, it just returns...the reason being because the libraries aren't set up yet.

Last edited by Guest on 12 May 2007 05:38:11 am; edited 1 time in total
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 12 May 2007 05:10:57 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the props, and interesting idea. As said, I don't really see the point of this, but it would indeed be relatively simple to add it to Doors CS 6.
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 14 May 2007 04:35:43 pm    Post subject:

kermmartian wrote:
Thanks for the props, and interesting idea.  As said, I don't really see the point of this, but it would indeed be relatively simple to add it to Doors CS 6.
[post="103762"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Add ANOTHER feature to Doors CS?!? This will be the most useful interface since Mirage OS! Razz
Xphoenix

Elite

Posted: 14 May 2007 05:14:20 pm    Post subject:

Are you sure it's not already?
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 14 May 2007 05:50:56 pm    Post subject:

Xphoenix wrote:
[post="103964"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It already is, but it's going to be an unbeatable shell if Kerm keeps on addign new features Wink
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 14 May 2007 05:55:32 pm    Post subject:

frenchcalc1 wrote:
Xphoenix wrote:
[post="103964"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It already is, but it's going to be an unbeatable shell if Kerm keeps on addign new features Wink
[post="103975"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

More features = more memory, and Doors Cs is already a whopper!
Xphoenix

Elite

Posted: 14 May 2007 07:11:09 pm    Post subject:

True... But people sacrificed 72K for MtSQ, why not for DCS, one of the greatest shells ever?
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 14 May 2007 07:24:32 pm    Post subject:

Xphoenix wrote:
True... But people sacrificed 72K for MtSQ, why not for DCS, one of the greatest shells ever?
[post="103987"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Sorry to be noob... MtSQ? What is that?
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 May 2007 07:35:50 pm    Post subject:

Marc the Superkid Quest.

Last edited by Guest on 14 May 2007 07:36:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
WikiGuru
ADOS (Attention deficit... Oh! Shiny!)

Elite

Posted: 14 May 2007 09:57:45 pm    Post subject:

Well, chances are DCS still has some free space in the 2 pages it takes up, so hopefully Kerm will keep adding until he's filled up the 2 pages, and then stop before the 3rd page.
Xphoenix

Elite

Posted: 15 May 2007 09:41:05 am    Post subject:

I've got it! People should delete MtSQ for DCS... j/k

I haven't been paying attention to the size too much as I've been using an emulator.
So it takes up two pages? That's bigger than most if not all decent shells right now. MOS
A third page would probably discourage people from downloading it...

Last edited by Guest on 15 May 2007 09:41:55 am; edited 1 time in total
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 15 May 2007 05:16:28 pm    Post subject:

Kerm will avoid 3 Pages at all cost, but a few more features could be added without it going over.
WikiGuru
ADOS (Attention deficit... Oh! Shiny!)

Elite

Posted: 15 May 2007 05:59:14 pm    Post subject:

Hmmm... depends what kind of calculator you have. I have an 83+SE, so I don't really care about 1-2 page apps. 3 pages, maybe.
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 15 May 2007 09:23:27 pm    Post subject:

IMO, Kerm should release two versions of DCS6 if it starts to go into 3 app pages: A version for the 83+/84+ and another version for the 83+SE/84+SE. The first version will be the smallest one and won't have as many features and eyecandies as the later one, to save space. The later one, however, should be packed with a ton of eyecandies and possibly even have DocumentDE and/or MobileTunes3 built into it.
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 15 May 2007 09:27:54 pm    Post subject:

I have a SE also so he could have 4 pages and not matter to me but a for a non SE any more that 2 would be too big. and their would be no point in making Doc DE and mt3 built in because it the person isn't going to use them the it's a waist of space even on a SE
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 15 May 2007 09:35:22 pm    Post subject:

TheStorm wrote:
I have a SE also so he could have 4 pages and not matter to me but a for a non SE any more that 2 would be too big. and their would be no point in making  Doc DE and mt3 built in because it the person isn't going to use them the it's a waist of space even on a SE
[post="104146"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

But if they were built in, they would require less space and be more easily executed because instead of having to click on the program icon, they could be implemented into the GUI. Also, it's not good to waste space on an app page, so if Kerm uses up another app page and there are 2k or more unused bytes on the app page, it's best to throw in two more features rather than just let that empty space take up you memory for nothing. Building in DocumentDE and MobileTunes3 would also save you ~25 bytes of RAM, 2 program spaces in your memory menu, and 2 program spaces in any shell you have. Wink
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 15 May 2007 09:44:46 pm    Post subject:

But he they are stand alone programs even if built in, he would have to have them show up in the shell because you would have to have a way to start new Docs and to open music from within mt3.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement