This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
werewolf1492

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 08 May 2007 06:59:37 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, with as much research as Ive put towards trying to find help programming in the very beginning im surprised I didn't find this site then, I must admit it would have been helpful. Anyways, to stay on topic, I wasnt kidding about remaking trouble, the thought crossed my mind to attempt CLUE, but I havent the slightest on how so you're on you're own for that one. As for the name crack, its been around for a while(in one form or another) ive gotten the joke more than once :/ but I dont know. I feel slightly ashamed having only written one (semi-decent) game but it made it to archives so it cant have been all too bad, sent in the update today, ticalc.org im so happy.
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 08 May 2007 07:37:52 pm    Post subject:

Are you sure we are talking about the same joke? I was joking since there is a forum moderator named Weregoose on here. It is a tad odd typing werewolf, when I have been typing and seeing weregoose. Smile
werewolf1492

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 08 May 2007 09:59:16 pm    Post subject:

surprisingly, ya but its not the only joke floating around and rest assured it wont be the last. hmmm, there are people still downloading my far outdated blackjack, thats not good, but my computers being, well, less than intelligent for lack of a more appropriate word or phrase. Ughh, if theres one thing i dont get when it comes to programming its got to be animation, everything I do is word based, I can't even write out a code for pong and have it work because I just don't get how to make the darn thing move on its own, like how in snake where it just keeps going. Oops, a tad off topic, well, ya if you could e-mail at werewolf1492@aim.com some sort of helpfulness on the subject it would be appreciated ive been trying but i cant get it, well, I dont know the time there but Ive got to recharge the batteries, teachers dont often like the glazed expression from sleep depravation or programming in school, strange as that sounds to more intelligent beings such as ourselves Wink sorry about the abnormaly long posts btw
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 08 May 2007 10:06:12 pm    Post subject:

werewolf1492 wrote:
surprisingly, ya but its not the only joke floating around and rest assured it wont be the last. hmmm, there are people still downloading my far outdated blackjack, thats not good, but my computers being, well, less than intelligent for lack of a more appropriate word or phrase. Ughh, if theres one thing i dont get when it comes to programming its got to be animation, everything I do is word based, I can't even write out a code for pong and have it work because I just don't get how to make the darn thing move on its own, like how in snake where it just keeps going. Oops, a tad off topic, well, ya if you could e-mail at werewolf1492@aim.com some sort of helpfulness on the subject it would be appreciated ive been trying but i cant get it, well, I dont know the time there but Ive got to recharge the batteries, teachers dont often like the glazed expression from sleep depravation or programming in school, strange as that sounds to more intelligent beings such as ourselves Wink sorry about the abnormaly long posts btw
[post="103408"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Abnormallylongposts is my middle name. Smile Well for starters, Good people to talk to and ask questions about basic are HarrierFalcon, Weregoose, Darkerline... Those just stand out right now. Most people learn basic from this tutorial. I teaches movement: here

Be careful with using animation. Animation would be flashing a bunch of pictures that are different. Kinda like when you draw a bunch of slides on a postit pack? But moving an object is simply updating the coordinates. But I wont go into detail. Read the tutorials first. Then when you have questions ask here. Smile

PS: told you Abnormallylongposts is my middle name.
werewolf1492

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 08 May 2007 10:44:56 pm    Post subject:

the difference between the two being...? Ive already done the thing where you move a dot around, its got wrap around and everything(algebra got boring after the first 5mins need I say more?) but it just uses the arrow keys and a While loop(never used a For( loop before), which is all it needs but, whatever, what I dont get is how to get them to move by themselves but i think, after that tutorial on animation ive got some kind of idea, but the using(what looked like) a loop inside of a loop to slow it down, im going to copy out the code, dissect and mutilate it, its worth a try as its how i was forced to learn most everything else but still, your description of animation as "flashing a bunch of pictures that are different" just entirely lost me, i thought it was just continously changing the coordinates(via some sort of timer or the like) and re-displaying them on the same surface. like i said, you lost me there and being careful with animation for what purpose, remember? im a bit of a newb when it comes to certain things, certain things being most everything, loops are one thing im really good with(put a double lock in front of each of my source codes :biggrin: )
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 08 May 2007 10:58:22 pm    Post subject:

Look

Now if you made a program that showed the first pic, erased it, showed the second pic, erased it... it would look like the flower was actually budding. This is the animation. Taking pictures and playing them to make a movie. Making an object move would be the same as making the dot move around except instead of using getkey, you make it move around by just updating the coordinates. Instead of saying:

If left was pressed, move the object

it would be like

move the object and if he is going to go outa bounds then make him go the opposite direction. Or anything you want him to do.

Last edited by Guest on 08 May 2007 10:58:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 May 2007 11:00:34 pm    Post subject:

Simple example:
Code:
:ClrHome
:Output(1,1,"X
:rand(99
:Output(1,1,"
:Output(2,1,"X
Done. Simple animation. Actually, see if you can decipher this:
Code:
:ClrHome
:1->X
:1->Y
:Repeat M=45
:Output(X,Y,"X
:Repeat max(Ans={24,25,26,34,45
:getKey->M
:End
:Output(X,Y,"
:X+(Ans=34)-(Ans=25
:Ans-8(Ans=9)+8not(Ans->X
:Y+(M=26)-(M=24
:Ans-16(Ans=17)+16not(Ans->Y
:End

Last edited by Guest on 08 May 2007 11:02:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
werewolf1492

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 09 May 2007 09:34:14 am    Post subject:

looks like it should make sense(looks, I cant exactly decipher it, especially at present so ill put it in and disect, though im none too familiar with a few of those functions(Ans not( and rand( and max( i have yet to use any of those though ive used randInt( before)which is undoubtedly why I haven't gotten anything to work, Ill give it a try though
Can you post an explaination and in the mean time ill get to work attempting it on my own
lafferjm

Posted: 09 May 2007 01:07:46 pm    Post subject:

Harrierfalcon wrote:
Actually, it would help a lot if we knew your (self-proclaimed) level of programming.

And, welcome to United-TI, werewolf1492!
[post="103345"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I feel like im pretty good at basic. I have about as much knowledge in it as every body on these and other forums. My only problem is i have trouble coming up with ideas and sticking with them when i actually have one. Oh and another thing i don't want to use xlib or omnicalc in any of the games i create, i am also a BE apprentice if that tells you anything.
werewolf1492

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 09 May 2007 04:01:22 pm    Post subject:

Well now, I'm not all too sure what omnicalc or anything else like that is so dont worry about hearing it from me. To go much further with ideas I suppose it would be helpful to know what type of games your interested in creating. I could say pong but if you dont like Atari style its not going to help much, a friend had a suggestion of Dig Dug though(such a great game), I have yet to see that for a calculator but doubtless its out there. Somewhere....
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 May 2007 04:18:22 pm    Post subject:

OK. Here we go...lines are numbered for ease of explanation.

Code:
01:ClrHome
02:1->X
03:1->Y
04:Repeat M=45
05:Output(X,Y,"X
06:Repeat max(Ans={24,25,26,34,45
07:getKey->M
08:End
09:Output(X,Y,"
10:X+(Ans=34)-(Ans=25
11:Ans-8(Ans=9)+8not(Ans->X
12:Y+(M=26)-(M=24
13:Ans-16(Ans=17)+16not(Ans->Y
14:End
Lines 1-5, I think you can figure out.

Line 6 is a very 1337 (advanced programming) way of doing this:

Code:
Repeat Ans=24 or Ans=25 or Ans=26 or Ans=34 or Ans=45
Before I delve into the use of [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]max(, I will explain Ans. Ans probably one of the most used optimizations that people use. It contains, obviously, the answer to the last equation or variable. In Basic programs, generally straightforward numbers, equations, and storing to variables affect Ans. Because it holds the last answer, Ans can hold matrices, lists, numbers, or strings. If you still don't understand, take a peek here. The reason it is the most used optimization is that Ans is faster than regular variables.

Now, max(. This takes the maximum value of a list or 2 values. Now, because we are comparing a single variable to a list, the answer returned would naturally be a list. However, attempting to interpret this as true or false (i.e. with an If, While, Repeat, or logic commands) causes and error. Note, when you compare a single value to a list, a list is returned containing the result. Because we are using the equals sign, it will return a list of ones and zeros. The ones indicate that the single value equals that element in the list, and the zeros indicate it does not. Also note that the only way a numerical value is false is if it is 0. You are probably using stuff like this:
Code:
:If X!=0
(!= means not equal to) But by boolean logic, any nonzero answer is true. So, this could be
Code:
:If X
So now we have a list of ones and zeros. Only if the getKey value equals something in the list will any element be 1, and in that event the max( picks the one up and returns it, thus proving the boolean to be true.

It essentially checks for certain keypresses.

10-13: As I've just explained, any true conditional returns 1, and any nontrue conditionals return 0. So, only if Left (24) was pressed will 1 be subtracted from Y.
The other more confusing lines (11 and 13) are a complicated way of overlapping--try going offscreen.

The other commands, rand and not( will be explained here.
rand normally returns a single value that is >0 and <1. In the case with parentheses, that many random numbers is returned as a list.

As I've explained, booleans are true if it is a nonzero answer and false if it is zero. not( reverses this--any nonzero answer is false, and only zero is true. This makes it particularly apt for comparing stuff to zero, and certain tests show that

Code:
:If not(X
Is much faster than
Code:
:If X=0

Understand?

Last edited by Guest on 09 May 2007 04:19:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
werewolf1492

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 09 May 2007 08:49:04 pm    Post subject:

Ummm :confused: ill get right on that! But when I put that code in my 84+ it said ERR: DOMAIN and im 99.9% sure that I entered the code correct. Im just none too sure on how in the world to figure this out, if only there was a way I could just stick to word prgming, but alas, its just not gunna happen. One way or another I've got to figure out how to make things move, I cant even devise a code for pong and have it work. I feel slightly like the scarecrow, if I only had a brain....Though I do suppose you could relate it to young frankenstein too
Igor "Abby something...Abby Normal"
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 May 2007 09:19:19 pm    Post subject:

You didn't enter the line numbers, did you?
lafferjm

Posted: 09 May 2007 09:57:44 pm    Post subject:

Dude if you can't create a simple pong game than I would go read some tutorials if i were you.
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 09 May 2007 10:41:07 pm    Post subject:

werewolf1492 wrote:
Well now, I'm not all too sure what omnicalc or anything else like that is so dont worry about hearing it from me. To go much further with ideas I suppose it would be helpful to know what type of games your interested in creating.  I could say pong but if you dont like Atari style its not going to help much, a friend had a suggestion of Dig Dug though(such a great game), I have yet to see that for a calculator but doubtless its out there. Somewhere....
[post="103500"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

While looking for a game to make in asm I considered this,(was looking at gb list of games) but couldnt find a good clone to see what it was like. There was this one clone where you were a mole, but i couldnt figure out how to kill the enemies. Sad Then I decided to make a drawing program! Smile
werewolf1492

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 10 May 2007 09:09:43 pm    Post subject:

No, as unintelligent as you undoubtedly believe I am I didn't enter the numbers of the lines, the second time around I tried it, it worked but I'm not sure if you forgot it or what but it runs a little better when you put a ClrHome in before the Output( (keeps the screen from filling with X's or dots or whatever) and it wasn't quite what I was looking for, I have full ability of writing a prgm that will move when I want it to move but, like in snake where it will keep moving even when your not pressing something, the words not coming to me but, ya thats what Im trying for. As for the crack about tutorials, ive tried more than you can count, they dont help because every single one ive looked at had a code(that didnt work even checking it 4-5 times for my own mistakes in copying it out) and no explanation that made any real sense. And i havent a clue what sorts of things would make an object move on its own so I dont know what to search for in tutorials, im a kid, cut me some slack if Im not Einstein quality.
Is there seriously a Dig Dug remake already out there? I didn' think it would jump to anybodies mind while they were searching for ideas...
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 10 May 2007 10:26:28 pm    Post subject:

werewolf1492 wrote:
Is there seriously a Dig Dug remake already out there? I didn' think it would jump to anybodies mind while they were searching for ideas...
[post="103676"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

To my knowledge, there is not. Not a decent asm one atleast. You can basically find any game in crappy basic. I actaully had never heard of it, but I would consider it if I could find a good clone of it to base the game from...
werewolf1492

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 11 May 2007 07:54:17 pm    Post subject:

Hmm, crappy basic? I find basic more than challenging enough for me... And by clone do you mean something thats already out there(for calcs) or do you mean if somebody can find something for you to look at and get the general idea of the game, or a description of some sort?
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 11 May 2007 07:59:04 pm    Post subject:

werewolf1492 wrote:
Hmm, crappy basic? I find basic more than challenging enough for me... And by clone do you mean something thats already out there(for calcs) or do you mean if somebody can find something for you to look at and get the general idea of the game, or a description of some sort?
[post="103728"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

My post was ambigous. I didnt mean for it to sound like basic is crappy, I meant that the game was written in basic, but they did a crappy job. I would need a flash game, to get a feel for what dig doug is like. Thats what I mean by clone.
werewolf1492

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 11 May 2007 08:12:02 pm    Post subject:

:biggrin: I know what you meant, it was just funny. Im not all together sure what ambigous means but ok then. DigDug, if I can find it on the net(like online game rather than calc) would you be willing to give it a try?
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 5 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement