This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 04 May 2007 07:43:48 pm    Post subject:

A string compressed in some way. You could make a format of the first x characters in a string being the name of the song and then the song itself. If the name of one of the songs is smaller than the x, just replace the space between the name and the song with a few space characters. If you know how to use the "inString(" and "sub(" commands properly, this will be the best format in BASIC.

Last edited by Guest on 04 May 2007 07:45:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
ForthReich

Posted: 05 May 2007 08:36:06 pm    Post subject:

Sorry, I'm asm neub, but would a stack work better because...
You can load like, 5 seconds at a time ahead of the current address (that would be what you are accessing at that moment, fellow Basic followers.
Fast Forward, Rewind, Play, Pause, Start Over, etc. would be uber easy to program.
Un-Archiving only part of a song at a time would destroy memory limitations?

BAD: If song ever reached end of memory (is that possible) CRASH!! Phoenix high-score GONE!!
ForthReich

Posted: 08 May 2007 07:21:10 pm    Post subject:

Is this topic dead? I still wanted to know what asm programmers out there thought about using the stack with a ~5 second sound buffering system.
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 08 May 2007 07:35:20 pm    Post subject:

Are you talking about the asm stack? If so I have no idea how you are trying to relate it to the songs....
ForthReich

Posted: 08 May 2007 07:43:12 pm    Post subject:

Yes, I am talking about the asm stack.

The stack would hold the actual information of the song. I am completely open for someone to tell me I'm wrong, but here is why I thought a stack might work.

1.Avoid possible loading screens by loading a small portion at the beginning, then load more of the song to the stack during the time it's being played.

2.Fastforward, rewind, pause, play, restart, etc. would be made simple by only having to move the stack counter. :confused:
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 08 May 2007 08:07:05 pm    Post subject:

And correct me of I am wrong, but I don't see how that works. The stack holds values of registers, ones that you dont want destroyed. The way I look at it is, it is a bomb shelter. People are safe in the bomb shelter from tornadoes and such. Repedaetly adding data to it, would be slow and not bypass the memory issue. Using the stak pointer to fast forward? WTF?!?! I am lost Cool
ForthReich

Posted: 08 May 2007 08:10:25 pm    Post subject:

I am guessing since I am just learning asm, you are better at it than me. The asm stack is out, does anyone have any ideas for data storage and playing?
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 08 May 2007 08:24:08 pm    Post subject:

Are you trying to make a program that does this? or find one? Not many people know about sound on this forum. Jim e. And if you're just learning asm, then making a program like that is out of the question. It requires superior knowledge of sound files, midi I think. Not to discourage you if you want to make it. Sound really isn't the best kind of thing to work with on the calc because of memory issues.
ForthReich

Posted: 08 May 2007 09:12:44 pm    Post subject:

I kinda have a little competition going with rcfreak0. He is trying to make hardware modifications for mp3, I am trying just to code it. I do not have superior knowledge of sound files, but I am willing to spend many hours writing programs, as I have done many times before.

baorder54 wrote:
Jim e.[post="103384"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

If that was important, could you explain it to me.

Last edited by Guest on 08 May 2007 09:15:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 08 May 2007 09:44:54 pm    Post subject:

ForthReich wrote:
I kinda have a little competition going with rcfreak0. He is trying to make hardware modifications for mp3, I am trying just to code it. I do not have superior knowledge of sound files, but I am willing to spend many hours writing programs, as I have done many times before.

baorder54 wrote:
Jim e.[post="103384"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

If that was important, could you explain it to me.
[post="103392"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Jim e is a very well-known z80 assembly programmer in the TI community. You might have heard about one of his most famous apps, which I think almost won the POTY...or did it actually win it? :confused:
Anyway, the app name is RealSound and he is probably going to release RealSound2 this year. He also works with Spencer on their emulator and helps him out with his other programs/apps by offering ideas and doing some serious beta/bug testing.
ForthReich

Posted: 09 May 2007 09:22:24 am    Post subject:

Newbie (me) didn't know who he was. Should I wait for RealSound2 to come out before I decide if I make my own app?
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 09 May 2007 10:22:47 am    Post subject:

It's probably going to come out at the end of the year for some private reasons between Jim e's RealSound2, Spencer's Zelda, and the POTY...

If you can wait ~1/2 year, then you should wait for RealSound2. If you cannot, I suggest you take a shot at it. Even if the project dies because you think you cannot continue it, you might learn some useful things about programming while you are at it.
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 09 May 2007 10:29:46 am    Post subject:

Delnar_Ersike wrote:
It's probably going to come out at the end of the year for some private reasons between Jim e's RealSound2, Spencer's Zelda, and the POTY...

If you can wait ~1/2 year, then you should wait for RealSound2. If you cannot, I suggest you take a shot at it. Even if the project dies because you think you cannot continue it, you might learn some useful things about programming while you are at it.
[post="103463"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, he doesn't have to wait for RealSound 2, he could just analyze the original RealSound App. Or he could use DoorsCS and the cool media player that can be used alongside it to play, store, and listen to music. :lol:

[/advertisement for DoorCS] Cool

Last edited by Guest on 09 May 2007 10:30:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement