This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 30 Apr 2007 11:54:51 pm    Post subject:

I know C++, C, Java, Python, Lisp, Javascript and Pearl. Any ideas on a fun language to learn? I was thinking fortran or even assembly. I don't want another high level language basically the same, any recomendations? thx

Last edited by Guest on 30 Apr 2007 11:55:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
CoBB

Posted: 01 May 2007 02:09:16 am    Post subject:

It would make more sense to learn one of those in depth instead of dabbling.
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 01 May 2007 07:16:50 am    Post subject:

Cool Learn Whitespace.Cool
Yeah, I agree with CoBB. Better to know one language well than a dozen different languages badly.
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 01 May 2007 02:08:45 pm    Post subject:

I don't really dabble in any, when I learn a new language i spend a few months on it and really get to know it well (except pearl, it was easy because of python, and C from C++). the fun part for me is figuring out all the structures and underlying implementation, so it's time consuming

Last edited by Guest on 01 May 2007 02:10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 May 2007 02:53:07 pm    Post subject:

Try some years.

Half of one may be enough to learn the syntax and functions, but those are just the basics.

Learn some software quality theory and try to apply the different areas to your knowledge of a language.

Last edited by Guest on 01 May 2007 02:55:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
compulsive_programmer

Posted: 09 May 2007 04:14:08 pm    Post subject:

There are still quite a few out there. Assembly is a good choice. If you're not looking for anything practical and useful in terms of programming, I would recommend Brainf***. It is an extremly minimalist language that was generally just invented for amusement of programmers, and it sucks up quite a bit of my leisure time.

Last edited by Guest on 09 May 2007 04:15:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 09 May 2007 06:42:08 pm    Post subject:

compulsive_programmer wrote:
There are still quite a few out there. Assembly is a good choice. If you're not looking for anything practical and useful in terms of programming, I would recommend Brainf***. It is an extremly minimalist language that was generally just invented for amusement of programmers, and it sucks up quite a bit of my leisure time.
[post="103502"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Didn't Arthur O'Dwyer make something for BrainF*** on ticalc? I remember seeing it in the archives :|

[EDIT] here's the link:
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/223/22349.html

Last edited by Guest on 09 May 2007 06:44:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 09 May 2007 06:54:40 pm    Post subject:

Zeromus/CDI/Fred Sparks made one also in Pure Basic.
CoBB

Posted: 10 May 2007 05:15:25 am    Post subject:

It's very far from minimal. I'd say Unlambda is as far as you can get.
benryves

Posted: 10 May 2007 05:52:56 am    Post subject:

I'll probably get lynched for saying this, but it might be worth (from a CV point of view) learning a language that targets the .NET framework. C#3 is basically an OOP language with some nice functional features tacked on top of it, and if you already know Java it'd probably take you all of half an hour to get comfortable with it.

Due to professional requirements I can't focus on one language, but I do not have a problem when it comes to mixing. Wink
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 May 2007 08:29:13 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I'll probably get lynched for saying this

Dude, dont get lynched, i might need you for my project yet!
I would try learning Assembly, so you can code some calculator games. :D

--rcfreak0
compulsive_programmer

Posted: 18 May 2007 05:46:08 pm    Post subject:

CoBB wrote:

It's very far from minimal. I'd say Unlambda is as far as you can get.
[post="103591"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That looks like a popped temple blood vessel waiting to happen. I might have to try it out when I have the painkillers handy. Razz

Last edited by Guest on 18 May 2007 05:46:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 20 May 2007 01:16:42 pm    Post subject:

Try Lunix! It's awesome! j/k

How about asm, so you can some uber games with it? Razz
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement