This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 May 2007 05:18:24 pm    Post subject:

I strongly advice that nobody 'supports' me. Disagreeing with UTI Staff risks disciplinary action.

Last edited by Guest on 24 May 2007 05:18:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
ForthReich

Posted: 24 May 2007 05:48:36 pm    Post subject:

I believe I speak on behalf of mostly everyone: "Get Off this forum!"
I have no imput for the developing on linux
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 24 May 2007 07:06:23 pm    Post subject:

I once tried to compile wxWidgets in VC++ 6.0 on windows, and it was a failure. Of course, that was back before I really knew very much about what it really meant to "compile" something. Now that you mention it, I've been meaning to look into doing so again, but with a normal compiler this time, like gcc. A general rule of thumb is that if your code compiles and runs in gcc on windows, it should compile and run in gcc on linux.
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 24 May 2007 10:46:33 pm    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
I strongly advice that nobody 'supports' me. Disagreeing with UTI Staff risks disciplinary action.
While I personally don't like some of the things that you say, I do support your right to say them. Of course, I haven't seen the PMs or IRC logs that Weregoose and the rest of the UTI staff have, but I don't think words by themselves should be cause for a ban (unless you threatened to harm somebody).

Last edited by Guest on 24 May 2007 11:54:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 25 May 2007 12:10:59 am    Post subject:

I am going to chime in here.

As you know, I rarely ever take the effort to read a topic. In fact, I normally only read a topic when someone PMs, IMs, or emails a link. I take such a hands off approach that my opinion may not even matter anymore.

Regardless, I am going to voice it.

I recall reading some topics where Arcane was being a bit argumentative with people. It appeared to me that Arcane had many valid points based on logic; in fact, he seems to have everything well thought out much of the time. The only problem I have is that it also appears that most of the time Arcane is arguing just for the sake of arguing. i.e. Arcane in my opinion has bad communication skills because he does not interact well with the members of this forum. His intelligence, skill, and competence level is quite high in many areas and he made a great moderator as he read just about everything, comprehended everything, and followed the rigorous logic of our rules.

Instead of being my usual pompous self standing up for everybody else and ganging up on Arcane, I will voice my concern for his actions and ability to seemingly derail a topic and put everybody into a flame war.... Then I will stand back and look at the macrocosm of his membership.

He has been here for a very long time, helped many members, programmed a lot, is competent, noteworthy, intelligent, helpful, and supportive. He has donated time as an administrator and even donated money to help fund United-TI. I would like to extend a thank you for all the good things and request that Arcane work on his interpersonal skills a little bit.

I am also pointing out that United-TI is a community and as a community will not tolerate a member out of line acting against everybody else. I would like to state my support for the community and accept spandiv's opinion into our consideration for Arcane's further membership.

At this point, I vote not to impose a ban baring further problems. If this matter gets further out of control I will impose a temporary ban. That being said, I do not pay attention to the #unitedti chatroom much. I have received some interesting logs in which Arcane further demonstrates lack of good communication.

Thanks
CoBB

Posted: 25 May 2007 12:31:46 am    Post subject:

Adm.Wiggin wrote:
Of course, that was back before I really knew very much about what it really meant to "compile" something.  Now that you mention it, I've been meaning to look into doing so again, but with a normal compiler this time, like gcc.  A general rule of thumb is that if your code compiles and runs in gcc on windows, it should compile and run in gcc on linux.

It definitely works with MinGW+MSYS out of the box, you only need to decide on some big settings (like Unicode support). It’s also likely it works with Cygwin.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 25 May 2007 02:32:58 am    Post subject:

<On Topic>
Arcane Wizard wrote:
AlienCC do you use test driven development as the sole development method or combined with other (perhaps at a different level) development or project management methods? It always seems best to take the pros of different methods and apply them as seems fit for a specfic project.[post="105271"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Currently it is used in combination with [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrum_(management)"]scrum[/url], mostly because of having multiple people involved in the development, this is highly effective at keeping necessary communication flowing between all team members. Before it was used alone and was still working quite well compared to traditional programming methods.
</On Topic>

spandiv wrote:
I think if somebody is going to be banned, it should be the decision of the community and not the admins. After all, this website is United-TI, so it would only seem fair to let the community have the decision. [post="105320"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Some of the purposes of Administrators are to have forward vision with where this site is going, to establish standards of conduct, and enforce peace among the populace. As an admin there is very seldom an action that when taken for the good of the community is supported by all members of the community.

ForthReich wrote:
I believe I speak on behalf of mostly everyone: "Get Off this forum!"[post="105322"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Never assume you speak for anyone but yourself, unless others have specifically empowered you to speak on their behalf.

Some other thoughts I would like to mention after reading the above comments in this thread that really never should have made it into this thread:

* Freedom of speech does not mean freedom of consequence from giving that speech.
* Past contributions are not an excuse for behavior that is not conducive to the forward moving of this site in a positive light, nor will they prevent my banning of someone who readily deserves such.
* Lack of respect towards an administrator when asked to do or not do something is disrespectful to me, and everyone else on this site.

Shape up or ship out. If you have nothing positive left to contribute to the site, don’t bother to contribute the negative.

I Expect all future posts in this thread to be on topic.
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 30 May 2007 03:39:11 am    Post subject:

CoBB wrote:
Adm.Wiggin wrote:
Of course, that was back before I really knew very much about what it really meant to "compile" something.  Now that you mention it, I've been meaning to look into doing so again, but with a normal compiler this time, like gcc.  A general rule of thumb is that if your code compiles and runs in gcc on windows, it should compile and run in gcc on linux.

It definitely works with MinGW+MSYS out of the box, you only need to decide on some big settings (like Unicode support). It’s also likely it works with Cygwin.
[post="105432"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, Unicode is a big decision. It affects all of your future code... :)

Looking at it again, it seems like most of the defaults are fairly sensible.
CoBB

Posted: 30 May 2007 03:05:09 pm    Post subject:

And since the topic started off with wx, I guess mentioning wxDev-C++ wouldn’t hurt either. Unfortunately, I don’t know it first hand. Has anyone here tried it?
benryves

Posted: 01 Jun 2007 10:31:06 am    Post subject:

Adm.Wiggin wrote:
I once tried to compile wxWidgets in VC++ 6.0 on windows, and it was a failure. 
[post="105328"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Bear in mind that VC++ 6.0 was pre-standard, so yes - by today's standards it's pretty horrible. Smile Yet people persist in using it...
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement