This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Website subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. United-TI Top Management => Website
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 15 Apr 2007 06:51:25 pm    Post subject:

AlienCC wrote:
Oh, and Arcane you might want to remove that stick from your anal cavity before continuing to post your emotional drivel. Just from reading this thread I was able to gather: you are the one who is least accepting of other opinions and beliefs to the point of insulting those who were being kind and sharing their opinion in this opinion based thread.

Uh......... surely I can't be the only one that thinks this is out of line. Neutral
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 15 Apr 2007 07:16:26 pm    Post subject:

Maybe you haven't been reading Arcane's posts lately, he's very contempt toward everyone else. Sometimes you have to be blunt to get the point across, and I could have worded this a lot worse.

Last edited by Guest on 15 Apr 2007 07:18:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Apr 2007 07:32:33 pm    Post subject:

There's a difference between attacking an opinion and attacking a person. Arcane is doing the former. You are doing the latter.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Apr 2007 08:59:28 pm    Post subject:

Knowing Arcane Wizard, I am mostly convinced that he doesn't care about the subject at hand. My view is that he merely tries to amuse himself by searching for inconsistencies, holes in a person's logic, subjectivity, and anything else that he feels he must point out and contradict. It drives away the simplicity of a person's sharing his viewpoint, in that everything a person says must be analyzed, hacked up, and thrown back at him in debate fashion. I have a brother who does this, and it causes much grief during long car rides, at restaurants, and in the middle of TV shows.

Personally, when it gets to a certain point, I think he does need to be told to restrain himself. To make a firestorm of "you're wrong, you're wrong" replies in order to maintain objectivity is not worthwhile. Spouting philosophy to the point of absurdity makes most people not want to listen. If his sport is only continuing to drive people up a wall, then he needs to know when to quit feeding the flames. Basically, in my book, he had his confrontation coming.

Last edited by Guest on 15 Apr 2007 09:03:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Apr 2007 11:29:35 pm    Post subject:

Misinterpretation. Now I see why this thread exists at all. Knowing the context, I don't think anything was out of line.

Last edited by Guest on 15 Apr 2007 11:49:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
David
The XORcist!

Advanced Member

Posted: 16 Apr 2007 08:56:12 am    Post subject:

How ironic that the topic is called "Day of silence" Smile Anyway, it is pretty obvious that a such topic eventually will capsize. It starts off as a discussion, which becomes an argument and then a dispute which finally evolves into farcical mudslinging.

Yet it seems like there's no other option than to "weather the storm", unless one judges it beneficial to suspend the freedom of speech by locking the topic. Permanently or temporarily.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 16 Apr 2007 05:10:10 pm    Post subject:

David wrote:
How ironic that the topic is called "Day of silence"  Smile
Yeah, I love irony. Very Happy Seriously, that's why I titled the topic.

Weregoose wrote:
Knowing Arcane Wizard, I am mostly convinced that he doesn't care about the subject at hand. My view is that he merely tries to amuse himself by searching for inconsistencies, holes in a person's logic, subjectivity, and anything else that he feels he must point out and contradict. It drives away the simplicity of a person's sharing his viewpoint, in that everything a person says must be analyzed, hacked up, and thrown back at him in debate fashion. I have a brother who does this, and it causes much grief during long car rides, at restaurants, and in the middle of TV shows.

Personally, when it gets to a certain point, I think he does need to be told to restrain himself. To make a firestorm of "you're wrong, you're wrong" replies in order to maintain objectivity is not worthwhile. Spouting philosophy to the point of absurdity makes most people not want to listen. If his sport is only continuing to drive people up a wall, then he needs to know when to quit feeding the flames. Basically, in my book, he had his confrontation coming.  [post="100947"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
I think you're probably more right than wrong on the analysis, but I can't follow it to your conclusion. If most people don't want to listen, they're free not to respond. I don't see how "he had his confrontation coming." Even if he did, the proper place for it would be via a PM. We're lucky he just shrugged it off and didn't take it the wrong way.

Everybody has nuances in their style of posting. For instance, sometimes I get slightly annoyed by the length of NetWiz's posts. It's nothing personal, just different and I don't really have a problem with it anymore. Or people don't understand my sarcasm and get offended. (I tried to pick non-controversial examples here)

Quote:
know AlienCC well enough to say that he'd never choose that phrase purposefully for that "effect."
I was just initially startled by the choice of metaphor, especially given it was AlienCC who used it. I can see where it came from, but using an anal reference in a topic about gays? You have to admit that's stretching it.

Quote:
Maybe I have blinders on, but I am honestly concerned that we have some people in our very own STAFF that do not comprehend simple Figurative Language.

All I can do is confirm that this website is to remain appropriate for everyone who is in Middle School and older. AlienCC is not a threat to this mission, so no actions will be taken. On the other hand, United-TI may have its own Civil War soon if we have to do some STAFF restructuring to weed out incompetence.
Oh, great. Now I can't understand English and have started a civil war. We're taking this way too seriously.

Last edited by Guest on 16 Apr 2007 05:20:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement