This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
NextPerception

Posted: 04 Oct 2003 11:15:27 am    Post subject:

I just had an idea.
have an application that has, for lack of a better word plugins. specifically math, science, and history. Let me explain. Each plugin would allow you to do a certain function but by having the plugins as seperate items that can be deleted and added as needed throughout the year you can save space. This way space would be maximized with everything you need is still in the app. for example if you were doing quadratic equation in math you could just load a quadratic equation solver plugin on to your calculator without also downloading stuff you don't need and taking up space. this would also eliminate having 3 different basic math programs on your calculator each with ten different formulas yet some of the fuctions are on two or even all three programs and wasting space with reapeated material. This would also eliminate having to make a user menu or interface of somekind for all three programs. I would love to see this happen and would volonteer to work on this program if enough support for this was shown. Of course I would probably need some help on a couple details because it would be my first asm program (or app if it comes to that).
SniperOfTheNight

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 Oct 2003 02:26:16 pm    Post subject:

That sounds pretty cool. I'm sure that could be done, but it might be a little hard with all those plugins and stuff.
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 04 Oct 2003 10:45:56 pm    Post subject:

it could be done... pretty easily... would the plugins be asm or basic? basic could work like this :
Code:
:Stop
::PIN
:code
sounds cool...
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 05 Oct 2003 02:03:57 am    Post subject:

NextPerception wrote:
I just had an idea.
have an application that has, for lack of a better word plugins. specifically math, science, and history. Let me explain. Each plugin would allow you to do a certain function but by having the plugins as seperate items that can be deleted and added as needed throughout the year you can save space. This way space would be maximized with everything you need is still in the app. for example if you were doing quadratic equation in math you could just load a quadratic equation solver plugin on to your calculator without also downloading stuff you don't need and taking up space. this would also eliminate having 3 different basic math programs on your calculator each with ten different formulas yet some of the fuctions are on two or even all three programs and wasting space with reapeated material. This would also eliminate having to make a user menu or interface of somekind for all three programs. I would love to see this happen and would volonteer to work on this program if enough support for this was shown.  Of course I would probably need some help on a couple details because it would be my first asm program (or app if it comes to that).

Maybe in the future NimbusOS can have a plugins manager.

Essentially, the user could go into the basic editor

Follow our incturctions and syntax for making a plugin

Special header I.E. ::!p or something like that
# of inputs
name of plugin
what each input is called
a formula
how it is retuned...

Then go into nimbus and select load a plugin.

The plugin program will be parsed and the instructions will be stored in a general appvar of installed plugins, and a token will be set up.

You will be able to install/uninstall/update/disable/denable plugins...

Update would be if you installed a plugin with the same name without uninstalling it first. Basically, it would uninstall then install.

What do you think?

This may exist in about NimbusOS App 3. Note, we are almost ready to release App 1 now. So it might be 5 years away.
NextPerception

Posted: 05 Oct 2003 01:53:38 pm    Post subject:

wow that would be awsome to have nimbusos as the manager would be awsome.
mabye even have a couple commands added to the norm that would allow someone to make a better program like a command that would allow a promt on the graph screen with the small text. ex. GPromt("Variable Description",Variable)
or something like that
62 52 53 53
Formerly known as 62 52 53 53

Posted: 05 Oct 2003 01:57:01 pm    Post subject:

I'd like to suggest adding a discription field, and maybe even a way to make it so that it could work like a normal basic program. Also, it would help to improve the header so that it would have

::!p(plugins)(asm,basic)(sub)

(plugins) would be an optional field for if there were multiple plugin routines within the program. These could be separated by lines with :! and each have all of thier own details. You could choose which ones to install from a list.
(asm,basic) would be another optional field, where an A would specify that the routine was in asm, and a B would specify that it should be run as a basic program instead of having the data set up in the plugin format
The optional field (sub) would let other programs run the plugin.

Would it be possible to detect when the calc is done recieveing, and what it just recieved?
if an interupt could wait for a recieve, and then scan recieved progs/groups automatically, it could find plugins automatically and immediately display a menu with something like:

"pluginname"
(optional discription)
Install?
Y/N
(input)

and if Y,display
Del when done?
Y/N
(input)

This concludes the endlessrant portion of today's post.
Disclaimer: these suggestions probably all have a reason that they won't work.
NextPerception

Posted: 06 Oct 2003 01:24:22 pm    Post subject:

mabye even have all of the plugins be intalation files and they install themselves into an app variable which will have all of the programs in it seperated by a end and begin new command. that way you won't need to keep the actual program on the calc and won't have a lot of programs that would look suspicious if your math teacher checked your calculator. this might be a disadvantige also as the program would have to search for the correct program before running it.
mabye it would temporarily copy the correct program out of the app variable into a program and delete the program when it is done with it. that would work really well because then it would not be deleted if ram got cleared because app variables have to be archived!
62 52 53 53
Formerly known as 62 52 53 53

Posted: 06 Oct 2003 04:07:48 pm    Post subject:

or we could have it so that some plugins self-installed and some didn't...
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement