This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
Cure

Posted: 15 Apr 2007 08:46:51 am    Post subject:

I recently bought this book:

Starting Out With C++, Fifth Edition, by Tony Gaddis.

I've been wanting to learn C++ recently, and also in July I'm going to a programming camp at MIT and we're expected to have previous knowledge in C++ and Java. The problem is, as I read closer (yeah, should've done it in the bookstore) it said it was intended for use with a 1-2 semester C++ course. Oops.

So, now I'm considering returning it. But before I decide, does anyone here with C++ experience know if this would be a good place to start learning C++, or would information be left out, or I get lost, as it was intended to be read by someone currently in a class?

If I do return it, what books/guides would you recommend? I'm considering Sam's Teach Yourself C++ in 24 Hours, as I've heard the Sam's Teach Yourself series of books are good, but it seems rather short.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Apr 2007 09:05:34 am    Post subject:

I find class literature to be far better than Sam's or other generic silly stuff, even when not actually following the classes.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 15 Apr 2007 01:06:40 pm    Post subject:

Well, that book seems to have gotten all good reviews on amazon at least.

[EDIT] - And I'd advise against 'teach yourself x in x' books. Not that they're bad, but you'll want something more encompassing.

Last edited by Guest on 15 Apr 2007 01:11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
benryves

Posted: 16 Apr 2007 06:45:58 am    Post subject:

They usually are pretty bad, though. Wink See also: anything with the "for dummies" suffix.

Thinking in C++ is freely downloadable and generally regarded as being very good. Can't argue with the price.
Omega

Posted: 16 Apr 2007 07:48:19 am    Post subject:

or even better yet -- get a free book via wikibooks.org Although it may not be completely completed, it's where I studied Python and C#, and now I'm learning Ruby from them. It really is a good place to start learning from! (at least in my opinion)

Either way, it sounds cool going to a programming camp @ MIT! Have fun with that!
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 16 Apr 2007 08:21:48 am    Post subject:

Erm...even better? They're both free, and one is complete. Razz Also, one is written by Bruce Eckel, author of the amazing Thinking in Java, from which I am currently learning Java (and actually sorta getting it!).

Though they're both probably good. It's a matter of personal preference.
Cure

Posted: 16 Apr 2007 08:41:56 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the responses.

But, back to my original question: This book was $85; even though it's intended for a student in a C++ class, will it still be coherent and helpful to me, someone who's not currently in a class, and hasn't touched C++ before? If not, I'd like to return it; some of those free resources don't sound too bad.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Apr 2007 08:50:06 am    Post subject:

benryves wrote:

Quote:
thinking in Java

Some of the best programming books I know of.
sgm

Calc Guru

Posted: 17 Apr 2007 01:18:00 pm    Post subject:

Learned reviews on C++ books:

http://www.accu.org/index.php/book_reviews...r's+c%2b%2b
http://www.accu.org/index.php/book_reviews...ct&term=C%2b%2b
http://www.accu.org/index.php/book_reviews...dvanced+c%2b%2b

They don't have one for the book in the OP.

Last edited by Guest on 17 Apr 2007 01:19:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
compulsive_programmer

Posted: 09 May 2007 04:07:04 pm    Post subject:

They say C++ is one of the harder languages to learn, but I would have to strongly disagree with that since it was my first language. It really pays off since it seems to share a similer paradigm with similer languages (like Java). If you have no previous programming experience, I would recommend a short and concise primer that will cover all of the basics, and the Sam's teach yourself series seems to be a good choice (I used it for HTML when I was in middle school). I would recommend it if you're in a hurry.
benryves

Posted: 10 May 2007 05:32:50 am    Post subject:

compulsive_programmer wrote:
They say C++ is one of the harder languages to learn, but I would have to strongly disagree with that since it was my first language. It really pays off since it seems to share a similer paradigm with similer languages (like Java). If you have no previous programming experience, I would recommend a short and concise primer that will cover all of the basics, and the Sam's teach yourself series seems to be a good choice.
[post="103501"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Even seasoned industry professionals claim that they still have more to learn with C++. Smile The problem for beginners is that it is extremely easy to shoot yourself in the foot with it, due to its nature (as an OOP hack on top of a portable assembly language, to be fair). Wink C++ is not a language to be learned in a hurry.
compulsive_programmer

Posted: 18 May 2007 05:37:58 pm    Post subject:

benryves wrote:
compulsive_programmer wrote:
They say C++ is one of the harder languages to learn, but I would have to strongly disagree with that since it was my first language. It really pays off since it seems to share a similer paradigm with similer languages (like Java). If you have no previous programming experience, I would recommend a short and concise primer that will cover all of the basics, and the Sam's teach yourself series seems to be a good choice.
[post="103501"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Even seasoned industry professionals claim that they still have more to learn with C++. Smile The problem for beginners is that it is extremely easy to shoot yourself in the foot with it, due to its nature (as an OOP hack on top of a portable assembly language, to be fair). Wink C++ is not a language to be learned in a hurry.[post="103593"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I would agree on the point bolded. There are plenty of really bad mistakes you can make with it, and while most are not fatal, there are a select few that can make your life very hard. It is good to learn the differences between different data types, structures, and whatnot and make sure they are used correctly for the correct purpose.
CoBB

Posted: 24 May 2007 01:55:02 am    Post subject:

benryves wrote:
C++ is not a language to be learned in a hurry.

That applies to every language. Just look at C#/VB, for instance. Coupled with VS, it is extremely easy to create badly structured software in them. You won’t shoot yourself in the foot as far as pointer safety is all that matters (and that’s very far from the truth), but be honest to yourself, how many people put all business logic on forms, because that’s the way that requires the least immediate effort? My general experience with powerful IDEs is that besides automating tedious tasks they also decrease thinking time, which really shows in the end product... So you have to look out.

In the end, if you design your software properly and also have a sensible process of changing this design, the language you use makes little difference in the number of times you’re ‘bitten’.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 24 May 2007 02:38:15 am    Post subject:

CoBB wrote:
benryves wrote:
C++ is not a language to be learned in a hurry.

That applies to every language. [post="105264"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The best programmers with decades of experience are still learning more all the time. Programming is a never ending journey that you keep getting new problems and challenges to overcome, and learn new tricks and techniques on your way to solving those problems and challenges. If you don't like to constantly learn then a career in programming isn't for you.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement