This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
Iambian

Advanced Member

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 04:19:47 pm    Post subject:

For the TI-83 Plus SE and all TI-84 Plus models.
For some of the larger BASIC projects that needs more RAM than they currently have and does not want to tax Flash by constantly swapping variables between the two areas, I want to design a utility that will swap variables between User RAM into a formatted 64K chunk of the extra RAM that exists on these calculators.

I am aware that the USB drivers use RAM page 2. Since I am using RAM page 4 thru 7, it shouldn't make a difference. I am also aware that other programs and applications would trash this memory without regard to what is actually there, so I'm hoping that the person using this utility in their game won't use other programs or apps that would trash this RAM (Omnicalc). For that reason, a checking feature will be implemented to determine if the RAM has been corrupted. I am also aware that the TI-OS won't be able to use variables in this extra RAM area; that's why there'll be a swapping command.

This utility should only be used in an environment where a single project is using this RAM area, where it can then be cleaned out after the project (possibly a large game) has finished executing. I am aware of all the risks associated with allowing this thing to remain persistent in memory, especially if the user doesn't know of the dangers regarding using this area as "permanent storage". As I said before, I'm also aware of conflicts with other programs and apps.

Having said all the bad stuff, do you think such a "project" would be worth pursuing, however simple it is to do? If so, any suggestions beyond planned "move variables to and from the 64K chunk of RAM, checking the RAM, and formatting/repairing the filesystem" ?
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Mar 2007 09:47:32 am    Post subject:

Hmmmm.. It should be interesting. I'm not up to speed on 83+ saferams and such. Are you sure those are RAM pages and not ROM pages?
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 30 Mar 2007 08:01:16 pm    Post subject:

Where have I seen this idea implemented before...oh yeah, here it is.

I say go for it.

--AlienCC
Iambian

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Apr 2007 05:52:51 pm    Post subject:

During the planning stage, I've run into a problem regarding memory allocation. I've tried to implement memory allocation similar to what the TI-OS uses, but I've noted that (figuring CC counts) under low memory conditions, allocating or deallocating any memory can take upward to 1.5 seconds per action. I would consider this unacceptable, especially to the end user, but would it still be okay to the BASIC developer?

If not, then I could try changing my filesystem scheme to address chunks of memory (256 bytes or so) instead of allocating memory on a per-byte basis (as the TI-OS does). I understand that this would cause, at best, inefficient usage of this memory, but I also know that dealing with 256 chunks of 256 would be far faster, especially if I allowed and accounted for fragmentation.

What are your thoughts for a filesystem? Also keep in mind that this project isn't designed to allow people to do all the stuff the calculator can do directly from this chunk of RAM. It is simply going to be used to store away variables and programs in, as a quick and temporary alternative to archiving.

Last edited by Guest on 12 Apr 2007 07:36:40 am; edited 1 time in total
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 07 Jun 2007 01:48:49 pm    Post subject:

omnimaga wrote:
Know that I can't use PTI to emulate this since PTI doesn't have support for the memory I'm trying to use, so development will naturally be slower than if I had an emulator that would work with this.

Would WabbitEMU work for this?
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement