This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
SilverCalcKnight
|_

Posted: 28 Mar 2007 07:04:07 pm    Post subject:

Ok, I've had this concept for a while. It'll be a 2D beat-'em-up, much in the style of Double Dragon. You will be able to choose from a few characters, each with their own skills and abilities.

Here's the twist: you have a team of two, and can switch with the press of a button. The trick would be to set up a combo with one character, and finish it with the other. It would make the fighting a lot more interesting.

I need help with how to do this, however. I, first, need to know what language to use. From there, I could probably do the rest of it, as long as this doesn't end up as dead as my other projects, and I can make the sprites. I'm actually thinking of Metal Slug-esque sprites, I've always liked the look of them.

Suggestions?
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 28 Mar 2007 07:23:45 pm    Post subject:

If you wanted to do it well, C++. C++ using either the win32 api, openGL, or DirectX. This is the way it should be done, but if you don't know C++ or the apis, will take you a considerable amount of time to learn.

Can be done in java, but not very well, and if you're going to learn java, might as well just learn C++.

You can use some kind of game maker software, I've never used them before, so I can't tell you much about them. You could probably develop fast, but have little control over any of the internals, and are forced into using their supplied tools. Google game maker, I guess.

No other options really. Take a long time to learn C++, or go the game maker way, and hope things work out.

[EDIT] - Game maker probably won't do 2d fighting games that well. C++ is your only option really.

Last edited by Guest on 28 Mar 2007 07:26:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
SilverCalcKnight
|_

Posted: 28 Mar 2007 08:31:42 pm    Post subject:

JoeImp, I know C++ and Java, but I don't think Java would be suited for a game this combo-intensive, and my C++ skills are minimal at best. So it looks like it'll be a while before I can do this.

Thanks for the input.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 04:38:26 am    Post subject:

What? Java could do this more than fine. Use the language you're most experienced with, if any.

You do know Java is used on small devices for arcade games and applications, right? Benchmarking apps easily run into thousands of lines per second, hundreds of fps per second scrolling sprites on my mobile phone.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 08:26:58 am    Post subject:

May I suggest Game Maker 6? Although possibilities are limited without purchasing it, it is still quite potent and relatively easy to use.
benryves

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 08:53:59 am    Post subject:

In this day and age, the specific language you use is becoming less relevant. Gone are the days when Java applications ran slower than a pig through treacle; C++ is not your only choice. If you feel most comfortable with Java, go for it.

Performance is more limited by how you write the code; poorly written code will obviously perform poorly.

I'm of the opinion that as long as run-time performance is "acceptable", I'll pick whichever gives me the best development performance - that is, which is the quickest way to write something. I'm a great advocate of managed languages. ;)

Unfortunately, the games industry (who are notorious for being rather reluctant to change) persist in using C++. Bear in mind that DOOM3 was only id's first C++ engine...
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 10:50:57 am    Post subject:

Did you really just suggest that the gaming industry shouldn't use C++? What else could they possibly use. For anything intensive, you only have two choices. Java or C++. End of story. And java can't compete with C++ yet.

Last edited by Guest on 29 Mar 2007 10:56:09 am; edited 1 time in total
benryves

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 11:19:18 am    Post subject:

JoeImp wrote:
Did you really just suggest that the gaming industry shouldn't use C++?
They should use whatever they want to and whatever is appropriate. In a number of instances, C/C++ compilers are the only ones available (both being systems programming languages) so they have little choice; however, this low-level nature makes it slower to develop applications in.

Quote:
What else could they possibly use. For anything intensive, you only have two choices. Java or C++.
Or (as an example) any .NET-friendly language; C# or VB.NET being the "flagship" languages (though there are compilers for Python, PHP, ML or COBOL - yes, COBOL). You can even develop Xbox 360 games in C# and XNA.

That's just one small example which branches to a huge number of viable languages. There are many, many programming languages out there.

Quote:
End of story. And java can't compete with C++ yet.
Maybe not as a systems programming language, but for application programming then yes, it certainly can.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 12:39:36 pm    Post subject:

.net is total rubbish, and java is slower than C++.

http://www.jelovic.com/articles/why_java_is_slow.htm

Do you really think that everything is coded in C++ for no reason? Do you REALLY think they go "hmm we could make this better in another language ... but ... we'd better not make money! A better product ... who would dare?!"

If there was any gain from going to another language, they would. Saying these greedy businesses wouldn't jump on an opportunity to increase productivity, increase quality, increase speed, or increase income is absolutely rediculous.

Maybe for some basic crap, yea, they'll run comparably. But anything in any way intensive, and you should do what every single other company on this planet does, and use C++.

And why would you ever use C# over C++? Especially for intensive applications.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 04:28:45 pm    Post subject:

http://www.chromethegame.com/

oops.
Neekstar

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 04:38:33 pm    Post subject:

Java can be just as fast as C++. Take N (the ninja game) as an example (though I personally am not a fan of the game, it IS fast and well-made). It also largely depends on what kind of game you are making. Java is better for certain types of games, while C++ is better for larger projects and thus why you see it being used in large, company-made games, as it is easy to manage it in sections.

In any case, I love both Java and C++ (though the latter is very outdated)
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 05:33:55 pm    Post subject:

Neekstar wrote:
Java can be just as fast as C++. Take N (the ninja game) as an example (though I personally am not a fan of the game, it IS fast and well-made). It also largely depends on what kind of game you are making. Java is better for certain types of games, while C++ is better for larger projects and thus why you see it being used in large, company-made games, as it is easy to manage it in sections.

[post="99698"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Provide a source, or proof, or even an inkling or proof for ANYTHING you said in that entire paragraph.

You provide one game I've never heard of to prove java is fast. Ok, I provide almost every game on the market to prove C++ is faster.

"Java is better for certain types of games, while C++ is better for larger projects", do you have ANY idea what you're saying? How is this statement in any way true. Why is C++ better for larger projects?

"though the latter is very outdated", yea, older just has to == worse. Guess you missed the fact that it's still being updated, and the next version is due to be ratified in 2008.

Why do people who clearly have absolutely NO idea what they're saying try and make a point. Do you really believe you're correct? Your post made NO sense.

[EDIT]
ahahahahahahahahaahah
http://entertainmentfans.com/ngame/

Is THIS the n game you're talking about?

Now compare that picture to the following. I think you're missing something in this conversation.

And arcane wizard, I'd check out that game, if any of the links or pictures on that website worked for any browser I have.

Last edited by Guest on 29 Mar 2007 05:59:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 06:04:51 pm    Post subject:

JoeImp wrote:
I provide almost every game on the market to prove C++ is faster.
Remember when everybody said C++ wasn't suitable for games at all?

Quote:
And arcane wizard, I'd check out that game, if any of the links or pictures on that website worked for any browser I have.[post="99702"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

http://www.google.com/search?q=chrome+screenshots

That's from before the days of Shaders and OMGBLOOM though, but the system requirements are fine for the level of detail the Chrome engine provides. I'd compare it in both aspects to UT2k4.

Also
http://www.3dgamers.com/news/more/1096486621/
for a modern Java game with OMGBLOOM.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Xpand+Rally...eme+screenshots

Last edited by Guest on 29 Mar 2007 06:11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 06:14:26 pm    Post subject:

I thought N was flash?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 06:26:42 pm    Post subject:

It is.
Neekstar

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 06:40:52 pm    Post subject:

JoeImp wrote:
Neekstar wrote:

[post="99698"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Provide a source, or proof, or even an inkling or proof for ANYTHING you said in that entire paragraph.

You provide one game I've never heard of to prove java is fast. Ok, I provide almost every game on the market to prove C++ is faster.

"Java is better for certain types of games, while C++ is better for larger projects", do you have ANY idea what you're saying? How is this statement in any way true. Why is C++ better for larger projects?

"though the latter is very outdated", yea, older just has to == worse. Guess you missed the fact that it's still being updated, and the next version is due to be ratified in 2008.

Why do people who clearly have absolutely NO idea what they're saying try and make a point. Do you really believe you're correct? Your post made NO sense.

[EDIT]
ahahahahahahahahaahah
http://entertainmentfans.com/ngame/

Is THIS the n game you're talking about?

Now compare that picture to the following. I think you're missing something in this conversation.

And arcane wizard, I'd check out that game, if any of the links or pictures on that website worked for any browser I have.
[post="99702"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

First of all, you need to calm down dude.

I have been programming in Java ever since I learned it in high school and trust me, it's fast.

Liazon, the current downloadable version was made in Java.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 06:42:09 pm    Post subject:

Once again, "trust me."

Did I or did I not say to prove anything you've claimed. Why should I trust some random dude over the internet. I'll trust myself, everything I know, and everything I've read.

[EDIT]

It's fast, compared to what? Your posts provide no information.

[EDIT2]

And if you don't want to piss people off, don't come spouting utter rubbish as fact. Not to people looking for help and/or accurate information.

Last edited by Guest on 29 Mar 2007 06:49:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 06:58:20 pm    Post subject:

JoeImp wrote:
Once again, "trust me."

Did I or did I not say to prove anything you've claimed. Why should I trust some random dude over the internet. I'll trust myself, everything I know, and everything I've read.

[EDIT]

It's fast, compared to what? Your posts provide no information.

[EDIT2]

And if you don't want to piss people off, don't come spouting utter rubbish as fact. Not to people looking for help and/or accurate information.
[post="99715"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Dude, chill out! all he wanted to say is that Java is suitable for some games, and it is very efficient in those games, while C++ is good for others, an yes, it too is excelent for those types of games. I think both of you need to realize that you're basicly saying the same concept, excep from different viewpoints.
Btw, those screenshots are awesome! I want to just download the game now Razz !
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 07:02:09 pm    Post subject:

I know what he wanted to say, and I know what he did say. Both of which contained no fact.
Neekstar

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 07:02:55 pm    Post subject:

Once again, calm down. You're acting like a big baby, quite frankly :)

A simple search for "java vs c++" found this: http://www.kano.net/javabench/

Looks pretty solid to me. Hmm.

It also is funny how you ignored what I said about the two languages being more suitable for different environments and tasks, as that is the point I was making.

Quote:
[EDIT] - Game maker probably won't do 2d fighting games that well. C++ is your only option really.

Where are YOUR sources? I happen to know that Game Maker 6 can actually make pretty good games.

In fact, that is what I would recommend to the starter of the topic. Game Maker is limited, but it is an excellent way to learn the basics of making games Smile
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement