This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
Babyboy

Advanced Member

Posted: 30 Sep 2003 06:56:17 pm    Post subject:

would anyone be able to help me with Python? i want to get into it but i don't want to if i don't have tech support Razz
Ben Trettel

Posted: 30 Sep 2003 06:59:02 pm    Post subject:

Go to your library and pick up a book on it. I did once, but I never read it. I think PHP is the easiest scripting language. I don't know too much about PHP though, just enough to do what I want to.
interwined

Posted: 30 Sep 2003 07:32:44 pm    Post subject:

Python.org has a lot of documention and is a great resource for learning.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 02 Oct 2003 11:53:25 pm    Post subject:

I have never tried that language, but I have read about it.

It looks similar to TI-BASIC, but is not used in very many places, and is probably not as powerful as PHP and Perl.

Obviouly, Python has a long way to go to mature as a language. Heck, is there even a guestbook or discussion forum written in that language?

PHP is easy and powerful. It is also quite fast, object orianted, and gives friendly error messages. It is easy to setup and configure too. It is becomming more and more popular everyday, and is comming close to maturity.

Perl is an over matured language. It has been around forever! Larry Wall invented it many years ago and never inteded it to be used for the web, but with its superb object orianted class structures, and support for modules, it can do almost anything. It is quite fast and was origionally used for shell scipts that were written in perl. All code is compiled before execution makeing long code execute quickly, but the source is left behind. There are millions of programs written in Perl; in fact, yahoo, google, others, and probably Microsoft use it. Then with Mod Perl and an always open database, it can really cook.

You need to pick one you can experiment with and stick to it for a while.
interwined

Posted: 03 Oct 2003 10:56:17 am    Post subject:

Python has got to be more or as powerful as PHP and Perl due to it being more Object-oriented than PHP. It is not meant for use on the web, I don't believe, although it works well.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 03 Oct 2003 09:57:12 pm    Post subject:

Some people swear by python, others by perl...then someone made an april fools joke out of the 2 languages merging...parrot they called it.

Other people thought long and hard, yet others thought short and soft, the final conclusion...such a language would be made.

http://www.parrotcode.org/faq/#why_parrot

I say, find one language that you can make your target project in, learn it, live it, stick with it, once you think you're good at it, start a much harder project, repeat. After you have 5 impressive projects completed, if you don't like the language then move on to another to repeat the cycle.

--AlienCC
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement