This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's TI-BASIC subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. TI-Basic => TI-BASIC
United-TI Archives -> TI-Basic

» Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 07 Oct 2003 09:48:47 am    Post subject:

Matirces are horrible. They seem to have the capacity for 99x99, but no TI calc has enough RAM to fit that. 99x99=9801 elements. You can't get that much with lists either, but who the hell needs that much? A list can go up to 999 elements. With a matrix, you can't just archive a section of it either. If you break it up into lists however, you can archive individual lists. Eventually TI should remove the matrix from the cBASIC language.</rant>

Last edited by Guest on 07 Oct 2003 09:48:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Ben Trettel

Posted: 07 Oct 2003 02:01:51 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
All I'd like to know is why you choose strings even though they don't have custom names and there are only 10 of them so if another program happends to use the same string as your program does, poof! there went all your valuable data.

You can align lists to x,y coordinates by using the formula I posted above so lists should always replace matrices, simply because matrices have no advatage whatsoever on lits.

One word: Size. They are infinitly smaller than lists and matrixes. And once you get used to using them, they are just as easy to use as matrixes and lists.

Last edited by Guest on 07 Oct 2003 02:02:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 07 Oct 2003 02:22:55 pm    Post subject:

So you're not at all concerned about limiting users to only using your game or having to restart your game everytime str x happends to be overwritten?
Ben Trettel

Posted: 07 Oct 2003 06:47:32 pm    Post subject:

Most people use only Assembly programs. This program will be so large you won't really have much room to put anything else anyway. Wink
Actually, it will only take up around 60-70K, but that is enourmous anyway. I deleted half my calc just to play Dying Eyes, one that is only 23K(I think). Cool This is the kind of game that I think people should "prepare their calc" for. If thats not what you want, do it your way. Thats just my opinion.
Edit: As for deleted strings, most people distribute games like mad s it shouldn't be hard to get it back.

Last edited by Guest on 07 Oct 2003 06:48:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 07 Oct 2003 10:03:35 pm    Post subject:

Ben Trettel wrote:
Quote:
All I'd like to know is why you choose strings even though they don't have custom names and there are only 10 of them so if another program happends to use the same string as your program does, poof! there went all your valuable data.

You can align lists to x,y coordinates by using the formula I posted above so lists should always replace matrices, simply because matrices have no advatage whatsoever on lits.

One word: Size. They are infinitly smaller than lists and matrixes. And once you get used to using them, they are just as easy to use as matrixes and lists.

actually, lists are quite a bit smaller than srings. You can store up to 200 digits to one nine byte list element.(i'll post the code for getting them back when I get around to figuring it out) Try THAT with a string.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 Oct 2003 04:00:21 am    Post subject:

JACstudios_ceo wrote:

actually, lists are quite a bit smaller than srings. You can store up to 200 digits to one nine byte list element.(i'll post the code for getting them back when I get around to figuring it out) Try THAT with a string. [/quote]
That doesn't work, which was the reason I got stuck with this all.

It only remembers the first 9 digits if you put it in a list, vbraiabler, or matrix. =/
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 08 Oct 2003 09:48:54 am    Post subject:

I've already proved it to myself that it does indeed work.
try this:

Code:
123456789012->A
Disp iPart(A/E8
A-iPart(A/E8)E8->A
Disp iPart(A/E4
A-iPart(A/E4)E4->A
Disp A

That should output this:

Code:
            Done

If it doesn't, someone shoot me.

Last edited by Guest on 08 Oct 2003 09:49:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 Oct 2003 11:01:50 am    Post subject:

11223344556677889900->A
fPart(A/E8 will then return .77, fPart(A/E7 will return .7, fPart(A/E6 will return 0 Sad
Ben Trettel

Posted: 08 Oct 2003 01:49:35 pm    Post subject:

I think it said iPart(
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 08 Oct 2003 08:16:52 pm    Post subject:

yes, but it's true either way Sad I'M (see my post in encrypting)!
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 09 Oct 2003 09:53:41 am    Post subject:

RubberDucky wrote:
Evil or Very Mad  I'm a NINJA

WAS there a point to that? Who the hell are you, and why haven't you read the forum rules?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Oct 2003 03:08:28 pm    Post subject:

No idea why that was nescesarry, I had already increased his warning level but forgot to remove his post afterwards.

*removes spam*

'carry on people, nothing to see here.'
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 10 Oct 2003 03:56:58 pm    Post subject:

I don't get to see his warn level, remember? Only mods and the actuall member can see their warn level. So I didn't know.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Oct 2003 03:12:05 am    Post subject:

That wasn't my point, my point was that I forgot to remove his post and thus you got to see it, which could have been avoided had I not forgotten to remove it.

But let's get back on track (topic).
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 14 Oct 2003 08:19:41 am    Post subject:

JesusFreak wrote:
ahhh, but then you could make updates, like a new file that has 20 extra screens, but you can't with strings, once they are all gone, they are gone.

acttually:
in a patch prgm:

Str5+<new data>->Str5

now was that hard?

or, if we want to remove the data for the planet "Oshmosh":
"Oshmosh->Str2
1->F
prgm<theta>DATA

the 1 in F tells it to delete the map instead of returning the data.
Ben Trettel

Posted: 20 Oct 2003 02:35:15 pm    Post subject:

Anything I would want to do with matrixes I can do with strings. I even made the code to change a sprite on a screen to any sprite I want. Thats an argument I know some of you matrix lovers will be all over, but strings can do it too. I use that routine for the random battles, because if the "battle spots" are choosen randomly when loading instead of counting spaces, it's faster when walking.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement