This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
WikiGuru
ADOS (Attention deficit... Oh! Shiny!)

Elite

Posted: 09 Jan 2007 07:31:38 pm    Post subject:

I was thinking about making a dictionary for the TI 83+. It would be a flash app (in order to fulfill the size requirements), and would contain many (not all) of the words in a regular abridged (not un-abridged) dictionary. I was also thinking of including a feature (either as a program on your computer or as a feature of the app itself) that would allow the user to add new words.

Here are my question:

1. Would you use it?
  2. What other features should I include (searching, spell check, thesuarus, etc.)?

Last edited by Guest on 09 Jan 2007 07:31:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Jan 2007 07:51:48 pm    Post subject:

Seeing as how the spell-check app (DAWG) is huge, I'd omit the spell check. Dunno about the thesaurus.

Good idea, though, I'm tired of running for a dictionary every time I don't know a word. Got my calc in my pocket though, so I'd use it!
Cure

Posted: 09 Jan 2007 07:55:21 pm    Post subject:

Sounds good, and while some people may find it useful, it would not be very practical, to me personally. Usually when I need to look up the definition of a word, I am not around my calc, or don't find it useful to use it.

DAWG pretty much dominates the on-calc spell check idea right now, but a thesaurus would be awesome (that I might actually use, since I have my calculator handy more than a thesaurus).

Last edited by Guest on 09 Jan 2007 07:55:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Jan 2007 08:12:19 pm    Post subject:

Well, if you think about it, if it has a dictionary already, it shouldn't be too much (space-wise) to add a spell check.
c_plus_plus
My Face Hertz

Posted: 09 Jan 2007 10:01:36 pm    Post subject:

A dictionary would take up a huge amount of space. Dawg's bulk was a wordlist, and it was huge. To add definitions to the words would require more space that even Dawg took up even if there wasn't as many words. If it were a practical size, I would use it.
Recursive Acronym

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 Jan 2007 10:21:48 pm    Post subject:

Hmm... just a thought, but you could compress it by having the definition contain 2 byte links to other words instead of spelling out the word.

Last edited by Guest on 09 Jan 2007 10:22:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
c_plus_plus
My Face Hertz

Posted: 09 Jan 2007 11:42:47 pm    Post subject:

what if you could then select any word in the deffinition and hop to it's definition?
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 10 Jan 2007 08:01:19 am    Post subject:

*cough* CLICK *cough*

Notefolio works well enough for me.
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 10 Jan 2007 08:53:08 am    Post subject:

That takes up way too much space and is very cumbersome because there are so many sub-libraries. I think a dictionary on one flash app would be great.
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 10 Jan 2007 09:09:50 am    Post subject:

Ah yes, but it's so huge because it has so many words. You could make a smaller one, but only by having fewer words.
todlangweilig

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 Jan 2007 04:13:35 pm    Post subject:

Since the size of the dictionary will be a severe limiting factor, why not use a flash drive and msd8x? Or if this is not feasible due to a lack of a usb calc, then some form of external media. Granted it will limit the number of users, but one might as well make it fully fledged.

In my opinion, having only 10000 word or less dictionary will only lead to disappointment and wasted space. I have a 100k word spellchecker/dictionary and I only found it effective about 8/10 times. I would imagine 10k words would only be effective to me 5/10 times. To me, that doesn't justify the memory required.

Having full definitions for 100-200+k words on a calc would be impressive. I believe this project would be a good candidate for external media, but some of the hardware hasn't caught up yet. There is no viable way to hook up external storage to a non-usb calc. When this does happen, this project would become a worthwhile addition to anyones calc. But if you have access to a usb calc, then I would say go for it.
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 10 Jan 2007 04:59:59 pm    Post subject:

if you do that, then you might as well download wikipedia (printer-friendly version) and put it on there.
WikiGuru

Elite

Posted: 10 Jan 2007 05:29:53 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I would imagine 10k words would only be effective to me 5/10 times. To me, that doesn't justify the memory required.

1 flash page is 16k. It's easy to fit a 1-3 page app on your calculator (if you have a silver and haven't filled it up with tons of archived programs/other apps/emu8x :biggrin: )
todlangweilig

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 Jan 2007 05:48:20 pm    Post subject:

"10k words" meaning 10,000 english words, not 10k computer words or bytes. I was just getting that figure from the dictionary already posted.
WikiGuru

Elite

Posted: 10 Jan 2007 05:57:13 pm    Post subject:

oops... My mind read 10k and immediatly assumed what you were trying to say... or express.
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 10 Jan 2007 07:04:40 pm    Post subject:

(dreaming) maybe a French-English dictionary, or a German-English dictionary feature would be nice (/dreaming)

my question is that would you put in informal words' definitions?

also, many definitions in dictionaries point to other words' definitions and it is a pain trying to find a definition for three different words just to know the definition for the first one. You could add directly linking to a different definition when it is necessary.

an option to add your own definitions would be nice Razz ...
todlangweilig

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 Jan 2007 07:27:58 pm    Post subject:

luby wrote:
if you do that, then you might as well download wikipedia (printer-friendly version) and put it on there.
[post="94791"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Possible space wise with a harddrive. I imagine it would take ~9.5 - 30GB for all 1.5million articles. (6000bytes per article*1575804articles) But rather infeasible for other reasons. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_wikipe...ine_publication Namely, having enough people and getting the articles in the first place. Somehow I don't think Wikipedia will like us tying up bandwidth downloading all 1.5M articles.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement