This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Dec 2006 12:44:59 pm    Post subject:

I’ve come to the realization that Donut Quest II will never get done until I tell myself to get it done. So as of now, the official release date for DQ2 is January 1, 2007. (People reading my blog may have already seen this bit of news)

If I have time, that will also be the day I release a text-sprite editing program that I’ve already written, it’s just buried inside the Donut Quest level editor.

I do have some quick questions about people's preferences (not much code-wise, though, so neither answer will affect the release date one minute):

1. I could add lots of plot-relevant text to the game, or put it in a text file somewhere for people to read on their computer. I like the former, but it probably adds around 1K of text, total. Which way should it be?

2. Should I bother with ticalc.org'ing it, or not?

[s]3. This is a text sprite game, and one combination of pixels can only be achieved with the token [font="COURIER"]χ
2. This token is very long, though, and allowing it would mean pushing blocks gets more flickery (probably only an issue on the TI-83/83+). Should I allow the pixel combination in the tile editor, or not?[/s]

The poll choices should allow every combination of answers.

What do you think?

Last edited by Guest on 28 Dec 2006 05:16:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Dec 2006 01:38:43 pm    Post subject:

I say yes on in game text and ticalc.org, however post the difference in the 2 sprites with/without chi squared before I place my vote.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Dec 2006 02:45:01 pm    Post subject:

None of my sprites use [font="courier"]χ2, but it's possible to create sprites in the level editor that would. And I could allow people to use that character, but I would then have to add more flickering to the program so that the character doesn't garbage things up.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Dec 2006 03:17:24 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't use χ2. I assume because you are asking this, that you are allowed to create your own tiles using the level editor?
I say no to ticalc.org'ing it, but it's not my choice Smile.
The in-game text would be OK if it only takes up about 1k. Do you really need text for motivation to eat donuts?Razz
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Dec 2006 04:43:33 pm    Post subject:

Is there a problem with using [font="times new roman"]χ by itself?

I have this file called CHI.8xp sitting in front of me, and I am not sure what to do with it.

Last edited by Guest on 28 Dec 2006 04:43:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Dec 2006 04:59:31 pm    Post subject:

Weregoose wrote:
Is there a problem with using [font="times new roman"]χ by itself?

I have this file called CHI.8xp sitting in front of me, and I am not sure what to do with it.
[post="93665"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, that'll clear some stuff up. Come to think of it, I myself have a prog that allows Basic programmers access to CHI. *bonks himself on the head*
Does that clear stuff up, Darkerline?
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Dec 2006 05:04:41 pm    Post subject:

There most certainly isn't. I'll, um, get right on that.

Come to think of that, I hadn't tested any of the greek letters for text sprites. I'll be a minute.

Last edited by Guest on 28 Dec 2006 05:15:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 29 Dec 2006 02:14:29 pm    Post subject:

I'd say upload to ticalc but make sure you have a moving screenshot. Otherwise people will say, oh a basic game cannot be good. Little do they know of the power of text sprites and pure basic.

About the text, I voted for little text b/c I like smaller games, but for many people with the 84's it won't matter at all. Then again I have an 84+SE as well, but I still prefer text in the manual. Other than that, yeah for release date. I really enjoyed the original donut quest and this one appears to be even better.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Dec 2006 02:20:58 pm    Post subject:

For the record, the difference is between a game that's 5K and 6K respectively (to the best of my estimating ability).

And I'll make sure to get a moving screenshot if I figure out how. Maybe I'll upload it here first, then ask someone who downloaded it to make me one?
Cure

Posted: 29 Dec 2006 03:15:19 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
For the record, the difference is between a game that's 5K and 6K respectively (to the best of my estimating ability).

And I'll make sure to get a moving screenshot if I figure out how. Maybe I'll upload it here first, then ask someone who downloaded it to make me one?
[post="93746"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I could make you one, or you could just use TI 83 Plus Flash Debugger (Check TI's website, under SDKs) and CalcCapture (get it from ticalc). They work great together.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Dec 2006 03:56:16 pm    Post subject:

Ok, I seem to have figured it out, even though the images are coming out much too fast for my liking. Any way I can slow Flash Debugger down so that CalcCapture doesn't end up skipping stuff?
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 29 Dec 2006 08:31:28 pm    Post subject:

For Greek letters and such, there are apps out there which put your menus and some BASIC commands into a different language. This may be annoying, but if you go into the catalog while you are in a language other than English, there will be a choice at the top which translates into English as "Characters". If you select it, a menu appears which allows you to select many Greek letters, like delta, sigma, and omega, along with the ability to put accents on different alphabetical letters, such as turn O into Ö and E into É.

The apps are downloadable from Texas Instruments' page.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Dec 2006 08:44:17 pm    Post subject:

I used CalcSys to do the same thing (you can use it to get all of the possible symbols, including the ever-mysterious PrintScreen).
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 29 Dec 2006 09:33:24 pm    Post subject:

I once tried to do an asm program with all hex numbers (00 to FF) and then compile it with asmcomp( and then unprotect with calcsys and then edit, but I just don't know what are the 2 byte token header byte. So it gives random garble that changes whenever I change the cursor position.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Dec 2006 09:34:26 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
Ok, I seem to have figured it out, even though the images are coming out much too fast for my liking. Any way I can slow Flash Debugger down so that CalcCapture doesn't end up skipping stuff?
[post="93758"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

How did you get Flash Debugger working? It won't work for me....

Would you mind if you walked me thru the process of loading a RAM file and running it? That's all I really need to know. Here's what I'm currently doing:
1. Open Flash Debugger
2. Click New > TI 83 Plus Silver Edition
3. Hit Play
4. Hit Stop
5. Hit Ctrl + R
6. Select sudoku.8xp (my sudoku game)
7. Hit Open
8. Hit Play

luby says it should appear in my RAM but it doesn't.

As an alternative emu, I could use some help with TilEm (Click!).
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Dec 2006 09:45:21 pm    Post subject:

I did the exact same thing and it worked, so it's a problem with the software. Try reinstalling Flash Debugger?

Also, you don't need steps 3-4. Although it does no harm to include them, so that can't be the problem.
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 29 Dec 2006 09:47:56 pm    Post subject:

Unless you really want Flash Debugger, you might be better to use PindurTI (commonly known as PTI), as Flash Debugger has crappy speed bumps.

Here is what I do:

1. Open Flash Debugger
2. Click New > TI 83 Plus / Silver Edition
3. Load > RAM file
4. Select sudoku.8xp
5. Double-click sudoku.8xp
6. Hit play

And it works.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Dec 2006 09:55:34 pm    Post subject:

GAHHHH!!!! It still doesn't work. No prog. But if Flash Debugger has 'crappy speed bumps' then can someone help me with TilEm? (Click here to give me a hand)

EDIT: Never mind. I reinstalled it and its working. Thanks guys!

Last edited by Guest on 29 Dec 2006 10:07:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Dec 2006 10:14:49 am    Post subject:

also, flash debugger doesn't allow undocumented instructions.....
Cure

Posted: 30 Dec 2006 07:53:34 pm    Post subject:

I know you can change CalcCapture's speed by messing with the FPS settings and such, but I don't know of a way to change Flash Debugger's speed. It performs fine for me.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement