This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Math and Science => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 14 Dec 2006 05:16:07 pm    Post subject:

I just read this thing on another post here Nullity. This guy has got to be crazy.
When he's talking about a 'Super-Turing Machine' and defines his axioms, isn't he contradicting himself? A Turing machine is a computer that can tell when any program will halt, which Turing himself has explained is impossible (there's probably something on wikipedia if you don't know what I'm talking about). Godels Incompleteness theorem and the Hilbert/Turing/Post FAS prove that one is impossible. The basis for this guy's work is based on the possibility of a Turing Machine. The most disturbing part about his work is that he defines a set of axioms to use on a Turing Machine. Turing's halting problem along with Hilbert's 10th implies that for there to be a machine like that, that there must be only one, complete, set of axioms. The backbone of this guy's argument is contradicting the definitions of what he uses to prove his point, while he assumes they are true. Am I missing something or should my head be exploding right now?

Last edited by Guest on 14 Dec 2006 05:22:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Dec 2006 05:47:43 pm    Post subject:

Nullity is kinda weird. I like the idea of it though, I always think that infinity stands for an infinity amount of numbers, each with a different value, but all infinity. Like the limit of 2X is a different infinity than the limit of X or the limit of Sin(X) for X to infinity or the limit of 1/X for X to zero (the second and the last seem to be the same though..) but they're all infinities or nullities.

But for most mathematical problems, treating infinity as an actual number seems kinda weird.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Dec 2006 07:05:08 pm    Post subject:

1. James Anderson had been trying for years to get this concept to gain recognition, yet it only became relevant in that it was an overly-hyped story by the BBC that was, unfortunately, swallowed up by the ignorant public.
  2. The inclusion of transreal objects in a statement involving real numbers is not dissimilar to adding a duck to a scallop and calling it a tuna sandwich. There are no lives being saved here; it's just a classroom with a teacher who is beside himself with the notion that he solved a one thousand-year-old "dilemma" and who now should be fired for corrupting young minds with erroneous details that can only impede their progress in so many areas of mathematics.
  3. James Anderson's Wikipedia entry for [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullity_(transreal)"]Transreal number[/url] is already [s]marked for deletion[/s] gone. Perspex machine is also marked for deletion.
  4. The term Nullity is already taken.
  5. IEEE 754
  6. Chuck Norris

Last edited by Guest on 14 Dec 2006 09:07:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 15 Dec 2006 12:12:35 am    Post subject:

Refer to Goose's point 6, RESOLUTION PROVEN

But, in case you still don't believe:
1. Sadly, I only found out about this from DarkerLine's post, so like kill him for encouraging stupidness and crimes against humanity (nothing personal).
2. What's his name uses the methods he's trying to disprove to prove he's right, and then his (false) axioms to prove that the rest of his theory is right.
3. For a theory that very few people understand to be taken off of Wikipedia it has to suck
4. What part of his research wasn't plagerized? (and isn't /phi/ already used as one of the most well-known transcendental numbers).
5. So even if nullity is true ( which it's not) then it's pointless

Am I right in everything so far?
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 15 Dec 2006 01:39:10 am    Post subject:

The amount of monetary damage this would cause to existing software and hardware to implement a value for 0 which could be divided by is astronomical.

I for one vote against this, and instead suggest we continue educating the value of programming divide by zero checks in the code.

--AlienCC
thornahawk
μολών λαβέ

Posted: 15 Dec 2006 05:11:37 am    Post subject:

Mathematical crankery, I say. Mathematical crankery. The fact that it made this much of a splash puzzles me to no end...

thornahawk

Last edited by Guest on 15 Dec 2006 05:20:41 am; edited 1 time in total
benryves

Posted: 15 Dec 2006 06:49:46 am    Post subject:

AlienCC wrote:
The amount of monetary damage this would cause to existing software and hardware to implement a value for 0 which could be divided by is astronomical.
[post="92758"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Not really. We already have them, and they're called +Infinity (positive number/0), -Infinity (negative number/0) and NaN (0/0).
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Dec 2006 08:08:57 am    Post subject:

simplethinker wrote:
Sadly, I only found out about this from DarkerLine's post, so like kill him for encouraging stupidness and crimes against humanity (nothing personal).
Read his post again; he was against it, not for it.

Interestingly enough, the Perspex machine article has now been removed.

Last edited by Guest on 15 Dec 2006 08:11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 15 Dec 2006 11:22:30 am    Post subject:

benryves wrote:
AlienCC wrote:
[post="92758"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Not really. We already have them, and they're called +Infinity (positive number/0), -Infinity (negative number/0) and NaN (0/0).
[post="92774"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Huh? Since when does software/hardware implement infinity?
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 15 Dec 2006 03:32:35 pm    Post subject:

Weregoose wrote:
simplethinker wrote:
Sadly, I only found out about this from DarkerLine's post, so like kill him for encouraging stupidness and crimes against humanity (nothing personal).
Read his post again; he was against it, not for it.

Lol, I was joking (plus, I'm responsible for more people seeing it)

Another thing I noticed while reading through his paper is that we consider infinity a number but don't think 0 is. Most computers/calculators don't even have a value for infinity, but they do for 0. You can't divide or multiply by infinity, and you can multiply by 0. So, since zero is used once and infinity never, then.... 1/0=1..... so zero is used 1x more than infinity!

Last edited by Guest on 15 Dec 2006 04:35:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 15 Dec 2006 04:16:22 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

I for one vote against this, and instead suggest we continue educating the value of programming divide by zero checks in the code.

So the reason we shouldn't make any advances in mathematics because it would cost money?

Not that I don't think this isn't a bit odd, but that's not a logical reason for not agreeing with a concept.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Dec 2006 04:47:09 pm    Post subject:

[quote name='"simplethinker"']When he's talking about a 'Super-Turing Machine' and defines his axioms, isn't he contradicting himself? A Turing machine is a computer that can tell when any program will halt...[/quote]Not quite; in fact, in "solving the halting problem", Turing proved that a Turing machine cannot be designed that will tell if any program will halt.

The utility of a Turing machine is that, apart from having infinite memory (which doesn't do you any more good than a really large amount of finite memory), it is roughly equal in terms of computing power to currently available computers, but is much easier to deal with mathematically. So, for example, a proof that a Turing machine can't factor a number in polynomial time would also imply that computers can't factor numbers in polynomial time.

Note that if, say, quantum computers become widely used, we'll have to modify our definition of Turing machine to one that mirrors the goings-on of a quantum computer. These would (most likely) be more powerful (in fact, google says we don't know if quantum Turing machines can solve the halting problem).

But to the best of my knowledge "Perspex machines" are still ridiculous.
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 15 Dec 2006 08:29:54 pm    Post subject:

OK, here's a quote from Gregory Chaitin's Meta Math:
"If there were such an algorithm to prove the halting problem , we could use it to find all the elegant programs. You'd do this by checking in turn every program to see if it halts, and then running the ones that halt to see what they produce, and then keeping only the first program you find that produces a given output. If you look at ll the programs in size order, this will give you precisely all the elegant programs (barring ties.....)... In fact, we've actually just shown that if our halting problem algorithm in N bits in size, then there's got to be a program that never halts, and that's at most just a few bits larger than N bits in size, but we can't decide that this program never halts using out N-bit halting problem algorithm. (This assumes that the halting problem algorithm prefers never to give an answer rather than to give the wrong answer....)"

Complexity is best measured in the size it takes to program something, not the speed, which is dependent on computing power. So a Turing machine is never achievable because nothing we will ever make can have infinite complexity, so only theoretically are they useful.

Four of the most influential number/set theorists (Emil Post, Hilbert, Godel, Turing) each have different, un-flawed, proofs that the halting problem is impossible (I'm not sure what google says about the other 3, but I'm too lazy to type them, the books I have are long. This is the most straight forward one.) Logically and theoretically the Halting problem (along with Hilbert's 10th) are impossible, proven in multiple ways.

Last edited by Guest on 15 Dec 2006 08:32:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tiberious726

Advanced Member

Posted: 20 Dec 2006 07:14:41 pm    Post subject:

If you want evidence against it just look into Georg [sic] Cantor's work.

He showed that there are different degrees of infinity. This being the case the whole concept of "nullity" (which was stupid in the first place, as inderteminate forms are so much more powerful) falls apart
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Dec 2006 07:30:30 pm    Post subject:

simplethinker wrote:
Complexity is best measured in the size it takes to program something, not the speed, which is dependent on computing power.  So a Turing machine is never achievable because nothing we will ever make can have infinite complexity, so only theoretically are they useful.[post="92823"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Just to clarify something:

a Turing machine has nothing, in itself, to do with the halting problem. A Turing machine is simply an abstraction of a computer that has essentially the same computing power as most computers we use today, but is easier to deal with. It receives an input configuration of arbitrary length, and either continues running indefinitely or either "accepts" or "rejects" the input, which could be seen as a 1-bit output.

The halting problem can be formulated as follows: let S be the set of Turing machines that eventually halt (stop running and return an answer) on input W. Is it possible to design a Turing machine A that, given input <TM,W> would determine if Turing machine TM halts on input W?

It's fairly easy to prove that this can't be done: here is a beautiful proof in poem format. This does not mean that Turing machines are impossible (even though they obviously are, because they use infinite memory, but we don't care because they're an abstraction anyway), it means that no Turing machine can exist that solves the halting problem.

Also: Complexity can be measured in size, speed, OR memory use quite easily, see Big O notation (a similar process can be used for memory usage). In fact, I haven't heard of any complexity classes defined in terms of the size of a program.

Last edited by Guest on 20 Dec 2006 07:31:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
benryves

Posted: 21 Dec 2006 08:35:07 am    Post subject:

JoeImp wrote:
Huh? Since when does software/hardware implement infinity?
[post="92782"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
For a long time. Easy demonstration: copy
Code:
java script:alert(1/0);
into your address bar and press Enter. Repeat for -1/0 and 0/0.

Whilst not entirely mathematically correct, it's a decent approximation.

EDIT: Remove the space between java and script.

Last edited by Guest on 21 Dec 2006 08:36:06 am; edited 1 time in total
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Dec 2006 11:50:11 am    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
It's fairly easy to prove that this can't be done: here is a beautiful proof in poem format. This does not mean that Turing machines are impossible (even though they obviously are, because they use infinite memory, but we don't care because they're an abstraction anyway), it means that no Turing machine can exist that solves the halting problem.

awesome poem!!! I showed that to my Dad who is currently teaching Godel's incompleteness theorem and Rice's theorem to one of his comp sci classes and said he was gonna show it to his class.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement