This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 19 Dec 2006 06:00:24 pm    Post subject:

i am not a huge basic programmer and never used x lib. i got it on my calc cuz some games need it but harry falcon can help u on it probly. a 16x16 sprite will be pretty hard but ill see what i can do.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Dec 2006 06:03:24 pm    Post subject:

Wrp_baorder54 wrote:
i am not a huge basic programmer and never used x lib. i got it on my calc cuz some games need it but harry falcon can help u on it probly.  a 16x16 sprite will be pretty hard but ill see what i can do.
[post="93045"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Uhh....harry falcon? Might as well be hairy falcon (NOT!).
Magus, just look at the readme that came with xLIB. If you don't fully understand anything, follow this procedure:
1. Look at it again.
2. And again.
3. And again.
4. Test what you think it means.
5. Read it again.
6. Repeat Steps 1-5 as necessary.
7. If you still don't understand, you can ask now.
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 19 Dec 2006 06:14:54 pm    Post subject:

harrier: only joke
magus: heres sprite i put together, it cud be just a 16x8 but it fits as 16x16 . Its not that great i whipped it up in like 30 seconds and i will make it better. I cant do very good sprites cuz im so bummed about the other sprites being useless.

BTW do u want a list of landmarks and rivers? or do u got it already?

Last edited by Guest on 19 Dec 2006 06:18:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Dec 2006 08:02:32 pm    Post subject:

Wrp_baorder54 wrote:
harrier: only joke
magus: heres sprite i put together, it cud be just a 16x8 but it fits as 16x16 .  Its not that great i whipped it up in like 30 seconds and i will make it better.  I cant do very good sprites cuz im so bummed about the other sprites being useless.

BTW do u want a list of landmarks and rivers? or do u got it already?
[post="93053"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

If you want honesty, highlight between the following brackets:
[The Wagon cover looks like a butt sticking out of a red ryder cart. honest. The ox looks good though.]
Magus: I haven't played Oregon Trail in like, 5 years, so do you have features you want the hunting game to have? Like limited ammo, score, kills, misses, hit %, rocks, trees, etc.?
trigkid213

Posted: 19 Dec 2006 11:30:43 pm    Post subject:

magus57 wrote:
As for the sprites, I found out xlib only supports 8x8 and 16x16 sprites, so you'll have to cut your 36x16 sprites in half.
[post="93042"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You can split it up into multiple sprites, but it'd be kind of a pain. It would also help if they were 32x16.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Dec 2006 07:19:15 am    Post subject:

Actually, it only supports 8*8 and 16*16 sprites for TILEMAPS. So if you aren't doing a tilemap, it can be any height and any width that's a multiple of 8.

Btw, an example of a tilemap is Diortem in our archives. Most hybrid-basic Zelda-type games are tilemaps, as well.
magus57

Posted: 20 Dec 2006 06:42:58 pm    Post subject:

Since I found about about the sprite thing, could you convert your 36x16 sprites into 32x16 sprites (or some other size that's a multiple of Cool? Because they won't fit if they are bigger (I'm using the Horizontal screen display setting). Then I can know how to make them look.

As for the hunting game, here's what I'd like:
-Limited ammo (based on L5(9) variable)
-Limited time (1 minute)
-1 tree in upper-lefthand corner (small, with space to go around)
-1 rock in lower-righthand corner (small, with space to go around)
-Animals appear randomly based on percentages (ex. 5% of buffalo appearing, while 50% chance of squirrel appearing)
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Dec 2006 08:08:33 pm    Post subject:

Actually, of 36 is the height, then that is fine. xLIB can do any height, as long as you're not tilemapping. Only the width has to be a multiple of 8.

Magus: Are you sure you don't want many trees/rocks? This would make it more interesting. It would also be beneficial (as in faster) to have only 1 animal onscreen at once, and for there only to be one type of animal i.e. Deer, buffalo, etc.
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 20 Dec 2006 08:36:14 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the critisism falcon. It was a little harsh but for sum reason i picture those kind of wagons with 2 little poochys when really they arent. Unfortunately 36 is the width falcon. As u can see from page 2. I will try to scale it down to 32 but itll be hard since im in utah and i dont have the sprite. Gotta copy it down form my post. I downloaded calcgs here so i can work on it. And i will post the 32x16 sprite and make the 16x16 sprite not look like butt.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Dec 2006 08:48:54 pm    Post subject:

I'm sorry for sounding harsh. It's just a butt was the first I thing I saw when i looked at it. Sorry if I sounded offensive.
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 21 Dec 2006 06:40:19 am    Post subject:

Or for the 36 width sprite, why don't you let it at 36 and use Ion putsprite large, which allows any amount of large. Ok, the bytes will allow you to go either with a 32*?? or 40*?? sprite. But nothing stops you from letting the last 4 pixels be blank.

The one thing that could cause problem is that you would probably have to clip your sprite so it moves on the edges of the screen because it is very large.
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 21 Dec 2006 09:16:11 am    Post subject:

it's about ,what, 1/4 the screen size.
magus57

Posted: 21 Dec 2006 08:11:01 pm    Post subject:

I'm not too concerned about the size, because, after all, less sprites = faster loading + less memory.

And the reason I didn't know how to use sprites with xlib was becasue I thought you could actually draw them with xlib, but it turns out I have to have the picture already made, because it only displays it at a set place. I'm going to use Pyro's Sprite Editor to make them, only because I haven't found a better on-calc editor.
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 21 Dec 2006 08:24:13 pm    Post subject:

What does a sprite editor do so special that recalling/storing to pics doesn't work?

If it's already a pic why not just draw it as is?
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Dec 2006 08:30:07 pm    Post subject:

It makes seeing the pixels easier, copies sprites to different locations, inverts sprites.....etc. Although, editing sprites on the computer and converting them to Pics works too Smile.

Magus: How much do you want me to finish the hunting game? Seriously. I'm kinda hooked on the sudoku game I'm making. Do you have a release date so I can finish the hunting game before then?

Last edited by Guest on 21 Dec 2006 08:45:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
magus57

Posted: 21 Dec 2006 08:58:12 pm    Post subject:

Well, it will probably be at least a week or two before I'll finish the game (because honestly, there's not much to it, it just needs time), so I don't need it right away. If anything, I can make it a random, text-based occurence (ex. today you shot a x pound buffalo or a y pound squirel, etc.)

BTW, I've resolved to using Draw'n'Map because it is less programs and easier to use (and mor functions).

Last edited by Guest on 21 Dec 2006 08:59:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Dec 2006 09:43:10 pm    Post subject:

Is that rather than xLib or with xLib?
magus57

Posted: 21 Dec 2006 09:47:59 pm    Post subject:

With xlib, because xlib can only display the sprites, not actually draw them.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Dec 2006 11:24:54 pm    Post subject:

Hmm...you should tell us where Draw'n'Map is. That's the only thing I've hated about Pyro's Sprite Editor--other than the lag, that is.
magus57

Posted: 22 Dec 2006 05:28:37 pm    Post subject:

Actually, I've found out Draw'n'Map isn't too useful, because you can only save the whole screen as a pic, not specific parts. I'll try to find one for the PC.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 4 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement