This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
magus57

Posted: 11 Dec 2006 09:31:05 pm    Post subject:

I'm making the Oregon Trail for the TI-83+/84+ (while I'm not working on my TI-BULLY project) in TI-BASIC. Here is what I have so far:

Completed:
Startup screen

Program 1 -
Occupation prompt (Banker, Doctor, Lawyer, Craftsman, Farmer, or Pioneer)
Store (all items for purchase, bullets max is now 500, and inventory screen instead of checkout)
Month of departure prompt (March, April, May, or June)
Pace setting prompt (Slow, Normal, or Fast)
Food setting prompt (Basic, Normal, or Filling)

Currently working on:

Program 1:
Name/party member input (something I forgot to do eariler)

Program 2:
Sprites (wagon and ox animations)
Main in-game screen (miles to next location, food, weather, health, and day)
In-game menu (inventory, settings (food and pace), buy (at forts), rest, and hunt)

Current specs:
-List5 is main file for game progress
-G is only temp variable (for now)
-Uses xlib
-Made up of 6 programs
-(Probably) won't need more than 10k of RAM space EVER (due to use of xlib)

If I program this game well enough, then my future goal will be to convert it to assembly, add better graphics, and even add grayscale.

Post any comments/suggestions/questions please.

Last edited by Guest on 21 Dec 2006 10:03:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 11 Dec 2006 10:09:10 pm    Post subject:

This is a classic game in many sects, it should be fairly popular once finished.

--AlienCC
magus57

Posted: 11 Dec 2006 10:19:43 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the support.

BTW, I will be doing this game almost entirely in my free time at school, and do my other project (TI-BULLY) almost entirely at home.
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 12 Dec 2006 09:35:07 pm    Post subject:

dude if u need help, holler cuz i was a big fan of oregon trail and i played it all my life. Unitl i got halo pc. But ya, i wanna see this game turn out good so if u need help just ask.
magus57

Posted: 13 Dec 2006 04:54:36 pm    Post subject:

I've got two questions:

1. What could you do in the first town in the game? You first named your family, then chose career, then bought stuff, then chose which month to leave, and then still had a chance to roam around town and do stuff. But what could you do in that town other than trade and talk?

2. Would you be interested in helping me with the graphics (if you could)? I'd only need two screens (the screens you see with the wagon when the other half of the screen is numbers and dates): one general picture (of a wagon, maybe some landscape in the background or some trees), and one of the wagon and a general fort. The only catch is that it would have to be done without using the "shade(" function (because it's too slow), and would only be functions like "line(" or "circle(" or other fast drawing functions.
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 13 Dec 2006 06:27:04 pm    Post subject:

Well I actually was folling around with numbers for ur wagon during math today. Im not sure if ur using xlib or something but ir uf using pure basic then i think this is cool.

[3

plug that to calc and see what it looks like. I think its the best u can get. It looks like crap on computer. If u want oxen in front of wagon then...

(pie sign here)
[3

I dont know. is background scrolling?
magus57

Posted: 13 Dec 2006 09:09:49 pm    Post subject:

I'm using xlib, but probably only for the running of archived programs. And thanks for the idea, but, I was looking towads graphics on the graph screen. As for the background, it doesn't have to scroll, but it could.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Dec 2006 09:15:20 pm    Post subject:

I agree. You're best bet is to use text for graphics.

btw, xlib can make stuff scroll (look for CAVE in the downloads section) but you have to generate it WHILE the screen is scrolling, else you just get a white screen scrolling in.

I suggest making it without scrolling first, though. Make everything else work first.

The info screen is easy. Just make it a bunch of Text( commands with all the stats. Then you could Clrdraw and make a menu where you could but stuff or look at your stats again.
magus57

Posted: 13 Dec 2006 10:40:08 pm    Post subject:

I know the text stuff, that's the easiest.

As for the actual game, I'm using the horizontal screen thing (top half graph, bottom half home screen), then I'll display the picture on the graph, and the miles to next destination, food, and date on the bottom, and nothing will happen unless you press enter to continue or 2nd for the menu.

The biggest thing I need help with is the hunting part. I know how to do the river-game at the end (I'll just alter my racing game from my other game I'm making), but the hunting is pretty hard. The hunting is pretty much like the Assembly game "Alien Breed". You have 8-direction aiming, there are rocks and trees where animals can hide behind, the animals appear randomly, and they can't hurt you. For the trees/rocks, I'd be fine with one tree and one or two rocks. BTW, this is not scrolling (only one screen), and is supposed to end after ~30-60 seconds, successful or not.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Dec 2006 10:45:45 pm    Post subject:

That's a challenge. I haven't seen anything like this but I think someone at UTI has attempted before. Poke around to find out.

Do you only one 1 shot out at a time or do you want more?
magus57

Posted: 13 Dec 2006 10:56:18 pm    Post subject:

You buy bullets, and you can use as many as you want in the time amount you have. I'll try contacting the person who made "Alien Breed" and see if he can help me.
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 14 Dec 2006 08:59:21 pm    Post subject:

ok i have a 36w by 16tall sprite but i dont know how xlib works (never used it) so im not sure what ur limited to if np then it looks something like this.

No biggy if it doesnt work or fit. I whipped it up qwuickly.

The two put together make an animation. Looks pretty nice i must admit

EDIT: oh crap! didnt realize u werent using xlib for sprites. May i ask why? I mean, ur gonna use it anyway, why not use it to fullest pottential?

Last edited by Guest on 14 Dec 2006 09:01:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
magus57

Posted: 14 Dec 2006 09:07:04 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I was originally going to use xlib to allow the user to have the programs archived and still be usable, but now that you've made these sprites (which are very good), I guess I can use them too. I'll do one of those "while" commands to make the animation work. But this is after I'm done with most of the game.
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 14 Dec 2006 09:11:51 pm    Post subject:

thanks, btw are u learning asm now? Cuz asm oregon trail would be nice, with greyscale. Think about how in the game there are cloudy days, stormy days... Think of all the possibilitys.. (excited)

EDIT: Ive been thinking about hunting game, and thought maybe instead of the alien breed thing, (which i beleive is a birds eye view) make a scene like desert scene and have the bird fly across the top and stuff, but u have 9 cuadrants, and numb pad refers to it. So if the bird is in the top row column 2 then u press 8. No the best controls but its a thought. Wish u could just add duckhunt to ur game.

Last edited by Guest on 14 Dec 2006 09:20:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Dec 2006 10:05:33 pm    Post subject:

Wrp_baorder54 wrote:
EDIT: Ive been thinking about hunting game, and thought maybe instead of the alien breed thing, (which i beleive is a birds eye view) make a scene like desert scene and have the bird fly across the top and stuff, but u have 9 cuadrants, and numb pad refers to it.  So if the bird is in the top row column 2 then u press 8.  No the best controls but its a thought.  Wish u could just add duckhunt to ur game.
[post="92736"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Now that would be easy. I made a game like that before (in the good ol' days) but it ran extremely slow due to my lack of programming experience. I think I could remake it if you guys really needed me to.
magus57

Posted: 14 Dec 2006 10:23:29 pm    Post subject:

That would be helpful, I would appreciate it.

As for assembly, first I have to learn C++ so I can better understand Assembly (and because Java and other languages will also be easier).
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 14 Dec 2006 11:51:45 pm    Post subject:

for me it was reading asm tutorials then reading it again till it sunk in.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Dec 2006 12:02:36 am    Post subject:

OK, i'll make it. Are we going for more graphical or more speed?

btw, I might not be able to do it for a while. I'm making a Deminuer clone that's perfect (the engine is, I working on menus, custom sizes, custom mine looks, etc)
magus57

Posted: 15 Dec 2006 04:55:04 pm    Post subject:

Probably speed, only because graphics will probably take up more space.

On another note, I'm working on the randomization now, which will probably take the longest (due to the many possibilities), and I also figured out that this game will be divided into (at least) 6 programs:
1. Main menu
2. Game start (occupation, store, leave date, etc.)
3. Main game screen
4. Locations (forts, landmarks, etc.)
5. Random events
6. Games (hunting and river-rafting)

So now that I'm doing the random events, could anybody suggest what to make the percentages?
1. Indians appear
a. Negotiation results (friendly or attacking)
b. Trade results (good or rip-off)
2. Find berries
3. Disease
a. How long disease stays
b. How many people it affects
c. Chance of death
4. Part breaking
a. Chance of fixing

And please tell me what else I should add.
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 15 Dec 2006 06:26:03 pm    Post subject:

I remember one about muddy water or something or wagon in puddle, not sure though. Percentages even?
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 4 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement