This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
myfavcolorchanges

Posted: 11 Dec 2006 05:27:48 pm    Post subject:

Hey I'm not sure what to call this game yet, but I was considering making a game where you can choose from a variety of insturments, and have notes scroll up the screen and you would have to do the proper fingering, (sort of like guitar hereo thats not guitar) and I was wondering a few things

1. Would this be possible in basic, or should I learn ASM and wait until I am comfortable with that?

2. What insturments would you like to see?

3. Does this sound like something you would like to see?

4. If this is to be done in ASM I would put it off for a while, would someone like to do it in ASM besides me, otherwise it will wait until for sure the new year for me to start it or be done in basic.
Cure

Posted: 11 Dec 2006 05:45:06 pm    Post subject:

That kind of game is certainly possible in Basic. Haven't you seen CDI's Reflex Revolution and xlibman's xLib xLib Revolution? Granted, those both use xlib, and they are both very advanced programmers. It's up to you as to whether or not you're ready for a game of this caliber.

I would like to see a mini Guitar Hero spin off, and I am actually working on one (oops, did I just say that?!?).

Guitar, bass, drums, wind/string instruments would be cool.

Maybe someone could incorporate RealSound and USB drive support? That would be killer!

Last edited by Guest on 11 Dec 2006 05:47:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
myfavcolorchanges

Posted: 11 Dec 2006 05:49:11 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I think that I may not want to be using xlib, because I don't get how to do that at all. Also I won't be able to start it until my winter break starts, like the 23rd or something.

Edit: I may not want to do guitar, as I was planning to do actual fingerings, otherwise it wouldn't be realistic at all, since it would not have sound ( or it would be VERY difficult.)

Last edited by Guest on 11 Dec 2006 06:03:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 11 Dec 2006 06:28:58 pm    Post subject:

Ha ha, you don't get out till the 23, I'm done the 19th.

Awaiting all the college students to say they just finished their finals last week.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Dec 2006 06:54:21 pm    Post subject:

Back on topic. I think we started this in the Musical Instrument thread, so...

Trumpet
Piano (Somehow)

I might be able to help u w/ xlib. I've only used it a little to make a full fledged game, but I've toyed with all the other functions.

Somebody tell Patrick Prendergast to add a sound function to xlib, and somebody tell...well...somebody to send me a set of 2.5mm headphones Razz

Last edited by Guest on 11 Dec 2006 06:54:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 11 Dec 2006 07:07:21 pm    Post subject:

you can probably find an adapter to plug in regular ones into the link port.
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 11 Dec 2006 08:00:42 pm    Post subject:

If u want my opinion, a ddr game whether its like ddr, is ddr, or similar, is the same as ddr. Arrows scrolling up the screen and u must press them in a area to a certain beat. I mean make it if u want but, i think there are alot out already. And it would be better to come up with something totally original. Whether u play a bass or a violi or a triangle, its gonna be the same thing over and over again. Hope u dont take this offensive, im just telling u that as a gamer, i only have one ddr like game on my calc, and i dont plan on deletingto replace it with a similar game. PLus basic without xlib would be sliuggish unless u talk to elfprince13, i still cant get over his scroll routine.
myfavcolorchanges

Posted: 11 Dec 2006 08:22:50 pm    Post subject:

Oh about the fingerings is ther a way to have getkey get 2 different keys? I just thought about that. I'm not offended at all, I would try to change it as much as possible though, which is why I plan to use notes and fingerings, instead of arrows and arrow keys.

Edit: By the the 2 keys I mean like when you play an "E" on a trumpet for example, you hold down valves 1 and 2, how would you get it to know if keys 1 and two are pressed on a calc?

Last edited by Guest on 11 Dec 2006 08:29:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 11 Dec 2006 08:26:53 pm    Post subject:

well guitar hero isn't exactly like DDR. you kinda have to play the note, even if you're holding it down. And getting the vibrato (i duno what it's called on a electric guitar) from guitar hero to work would be cool

multiple key press is easily done w/ ASM, but since DDR can be done in pure basic, then I guess there must be a way somehow.

edit:

wiki article on Guitar Hero

Last edited by Guest on 11 Dec 2006 08:28:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 11 Dec 2006 08:26:54 pm    Post subject:

ok cool. for basic games, im almost positive that multiple keypress is not possible, but dont take my word for it. Actually im like 100% positive its not possible.
myfavcolorchanges

Posted: 11 Dec 2006 08:39:27 pm    Post subject:

Liazon wrote:
well guitar hero isn't exactly like DDR.  you kinda have to play the note, even if you're holding it down.  And getting the vibrato (i duno what it's called on a electric guitar) from guitar hero to work would be cool

multiple key press is easily done w/ ASM, but since DDR can be done in pure basic, then I guess there must be a way somehow.

edit:

wiki article on Guitar Hero
[post="92383"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I actually don't like guitar hero much, since it is not very realistic and I play guitar so it is hard, but yes, it would be more like guitar hero than DDR
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Dec 2006 08:53:25 pm    Post subject:

Yeah I don't think multiple keypresses are possible in pure basic. You'd have to use ASM. And not xLib either--that supports only multiple arrow keypresses.

And nobody said that a Pure basic DDR has simultaneous arrows. unless you have a link?
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 11 Dec 2006 09:05:37 pm    Post subject:

i see now, so that's how xlibman made those basic DDR games, he used xlib's multiple arrow keypress
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Dec 2006 09:46:13 pm    Post subject:

Yeah. But he must have done something--xLib's multiple keypress thing won't read opposite directions. Ask him somehow.
trigkid213

Posted: 11 Dec 2006 09:57:10 pm    Post subject:

Even if you figure out a way to get multiple keypresses, like an asm utility, the display will still be a problem. If you just display a note name, it can be a bit ambiguous. Like C#: low C# is 123, C# in the staff is 23, high C# is 2, and super C# can be played with any fingering (we won't worry about the one above that; I've only met one guy who could hit it and he left school halfway through sophomore year to go to Juilliard.) Displaying a staff is also possible, but there are still alternate fingerings. You could accept only the most common fingering, but in some cases alternate fingerings are better than the usual ones. For instance, high C# should be 2 and high D should be 0, but if I'm playing a run that ends B-C#-D I would finger it 2-12-1 so I don't have to lip slur from the B to the C# and only have to move one valve and not have to change partials between C# and D. Also, it's much easier to trill from G to A using 0-3 instead of 0-12, and in a really fast lick it's sometimes necessary to use an alternate fingering to avoid a lip slur (like tuning C to E could be 23-0). I like the idea, though. Maybe you could accept all reasonable alternate fingerings, but leave out ones that are really out of tune, like 123 for second space F#.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Dec 2006 09:59:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Dec 2006 10:10:42 pm    Post subject:

Nice essay. I wish I could write english like that :envy:

We could keep it to one scale, like the low Bflat or something.
trigkid213

Posted: 11 Dec 2006 11:04:21 pm    Post subject:

...but trumpet is pointless when confined to that range...
myfavcolorchanges

Posted: 12 Dec 2006 04:59:50 pm    Post subject:

trigkid213 wrote:
...but trumpet is pointless when confined to that range...
[post="92457"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I know about the fingerings, I would and also maybe I could use the "or" command a lot? I'd say that this is a signal to learns asm.

off topic (sorry) MY CALC GOT STOLEN TODAY! My math teacher found it, but a lot of the programs had been deleted, and someone colored on it, and scribbled out my name! but I had it scratched in (thank goodness) and you could read it.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Dec 2006 05:46:08 pm    Post subject:

[off topic again] anything valuable (games in progress) on it?

[back on track]I guess you would have to.
myfavcolorchanges

Posted: 14 Dec 2006 05:19:24 pm    Post subject:

Harrierfalcon wrote:
[off topic again] anything valuable (games in progress) on it?

[back on track]I guess you would have to.
[post="92527"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

yes, but it was backed up on my computer.

Yeah, I'm thinking that I'll do the 28 days one sometime.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement