This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Website subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. United-TI Top Management => Website
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 09 Dec 2006 03:10:55 am    Post subject:

I am looking to acquire a domain for expanding United-TI into more educational branches that don't all necessarily fit under the TI part of the name.

Vote Yes if you approve of the name, and No if you don't.

--AlienCC
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 09 Dec 2006 04:36:27 pm    Post subject:

I think it would help in the decision if you offered examples of the areas you planned to expand into. UnitedSeek sounds like searching or something.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 10 Dec 2006 05:47:01 pm    Post subject:

I think it is a good idea because eventually I would like to have our name change from UnitedTI to something else. I don't think it is fair to Texas Instruments to use TI without permission, which way back in High School didn't seem important to get.

Luckily for US, TI seems to be a nice company and they have not caused a stink about it.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Dec 2006 07:56:46 pm    Post subject:

You seem to be thinking it's a simple thing for us to change focus to all calculators, not just TI - it's not. We have a fairly good userbase for TI-related stuff, we wouldn't just magically get people who knew what they were doing with, say, Casio. I'd hate to see us go from a great TI site to a crappy generic calculator site.

Besides, if you're worried about trademarks, getting permission would seem more logical than changing the name, and might be fairly easy. There's easily dozens of sites AND products with TI in their name that aren't affiliated with TI.

The name United-TI has been around for a while, people have left bookmarks and everything. We'd lose all that.

But to answer the question, I'd go with something like www.unitedcalc.org rather than "unitedseek".
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 10 Dec 2006 08:18:32 pm    Post subject:

The more educational branches would include, more indepth science, math, programming, etc. These things don't always fit under the "TI" name.

--AlienCC
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Dec 2006 08:42:58 pm    Post subject:

Math and programming I think we could handle. This isn't to say we should, though. People come here primarily for calculator-related issues, and there are already great resources out there for science, math, and programming.
That question is one we might want to resolve before the rather cosmetic issue of domain name. I'd suggest also maybe asking the rest of United-TI about it before making too many plans - we have a responsibility here not to be forgotten. If the Sci-Fi channel started showing reality shows, that might upset its regular viewers a bit?
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 11 Dec 2006 12:01:02 am    Post subject:

That is why this would be a second domain, not a migration, that would link back to United-TI for certain.

--AlienCC
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 06 Jan 2007 06:21:34 pm    Post subject:

Okay, it appears that we approve it for the most part. Should United-TI purchase the domain?
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement