This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Dec 2006 07:43:04 pm    Post subject:

For everyone who likes Pegs from Detached Solutions but beat all the levels (like me), here is YOUR detached solution.

I have made a Pure BASIC pegs before, but it killed itself in a RAM Clear. (pity...) Not after a couple weeks more experience (I've been programming for about 6 months),
I've decided to redo it. It, before dying, ran with a very tiny bit of lag (easy to get used to) but worked perfectly. Also, I had implemented a nice little feature that I dubbed Quad-Char sprites, a name for a 5*5 sprite where the last column is composed of 1 character. This prevents the end of the sprite overwriting any other pixels. The only time you have to savepic loadpic stuff is when you push a pseudo-triangle into another pseudo-triangle and the wall appears. I tried to replicate the sprites as they were in the Flash Pegs, but some were impossible. So here's a screenie of the first level I made:

Looks neat huh? The Box with a dot is the same as a triangle in Pegs, and the circle with a dot is the same as the Plus sign. If it isn't obvious enough the cool-looking X is you. All sprites that have to move are Quad-Char sprites, except for you. The X is Bi-Char sprite.

So as the description said, I need level creators. The engine isn't done yet, but when I finish it I will post it and tell you how to create levels. Seriously, the hardest part is making up a challenging level. The levels will have to be implemented directly into the game, so that's why I need you guys now. When I post the engine I will tell you guys how to create levels. I just need to make sure that I will get enough GOOD level creators to make this possible! I mean not brute-force puzzles, but ones that make you think like the 4th level of Donut Quest (I still haven't beaten it). Anyone who creates even a single level will get credit in the readme of the final release. Also, MAKE SURE YOUR LEVEL IS BEATABLE!! I will not spend 5 hours making sure levels are beatable. Give your level a rating between 1 and 100, 100 being the hardest.

So simply post if you want to create a level!

Btw, Here's a screenie with the Dot-Box and the Dot-Circle closed rather than open in the screenie above:

Which one looks better, open or closed?

Last edited by Guest on 06 Dec 2006 07:47:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Noob88

Posted: 06 Dec 2006 08:08:11 pm    Post subject:

I like the closed circles better Very Happy
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 06 Dec 2006 08:15:08 pm    Post subject:

That really looks nice!! My opinion is that the closed ones look better.

Why is the last column having nothing? After opening it up in paint and resizing and stuff, it appears that you still have 1 column where you could put boxes at the right. (and I counted that substracting that last column of pixel at the right). Anyway, keep up your good work. That definitely looks nice.

Does it run smooth and fast?
How much size is a level taking?
How large is your game engine?
What is the format for the level?
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Dec 2006 09:17:52 pm    Post subject:

OK, in order:
1. These are text sprites--trying to display text from higher than 90 causes a domain error.
2. Smoothly--a little, fast--the loading is slow (the decompressing str->[A] but the game will be a trifle faster than Donut Quest.
3. Each level takes up about 160 bytes approximately.
4. I don't know yet--still working on it.
5. If you haven't figured it out from my answer to Q #2, a level looks like this :

Code:
:If L=5
:"[Level Str1]

The decompression takes care of everything else. It counts how many pegs there are, where your guy is, and everything. The only requirement is for there to by a border of 1's around it. You probably don't understand yet, but you'll get it when I release the engine and explain it.

OK, closed circles it is!

[EDIT]
OK, got the engine done! I attached it.

Level Creating Instructions
Recall PrgmThetaPEGZ into a new prog (PgrmA?). DO NOT ERASE THE BORDER OF 1'S! THIS WILL CAUSE AN INVALID DIM IF THE PLAYER TRIES TO MOVE THRU THE HOLE!!!
From this point, simply fill the string with numbers that correspond to the pieces of Pegz:
0. Nothing
1. Wall
2. Circle
3. Block
4. Dot Circle (A plus sign in PuzzPack Pegs)
5. Dot Box (a triangle in PuzzPack Pegs)
6. Hole
7. Guy
Placing more than one guy will simply make those spots appear as an X, but they won't be anything. The 7 in the string closest to the end will be the X they control.

Recall PrgmA into PrgmPEGZ, right after you see the huge "If L=1: "aosdkaplsd" thing. Then, where you see "L=", enter the level number there. Double check your level, then delete all the far right spaces and the top line of spaces. When you are done it should look something like this:

Code:
If L=1
"1111111111111111700000000000511121031111111111000000163000011231204163040011
But word-wrapped.

When near the top of the prog, there you see "lPEG(1)->L", enter the number of your level to store into L. Then run PrgmPEGZ and make sure you can beat the level. I have included 2 levels of my own for you to play. If you have any questions, find any bugs, or have some optimizations then tell me.

Last edited by Guest on 07 Dec 2006 03:44:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 07 Dec 2006 04:00:48 pm    Post subject:

Ok, I think the last post should be kept separate from everything else because it contains instructions and this doesn't. Sorry for double posting, but I also want everyone to know that the beta is release--editing my last post doesn't make it show up as 'New Replies' in the forum.

The beta contains a save feature, and it saves which level you are on. It also includes a level-tamper prevention feature. [Clear] Quits. Let me know if you want the message to read "You died" instead of "You lost" when you walk into a hole.

I think Level 2 is easier than level 1, if you think so too, then tell me, and I'll rearrange them.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement