This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 12 Dec 2006 06:46:12 pm    Post subject:

Dude bananaman, we really need more poelple to join. we need to get organized, i mean look at sonic. We dont wanna end up like that. But we gotta get the spark into a flame, u read me?
Cure

Posted: 12 Dec 2006 09:10:00 pm    Post subject:

I'd help, but I'm only beginning to learn ASM. Looks good though.
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 12 Dec 2006 09:29:10 pm    Post subject:

Hey were all learning more asm here. thisis my and banamans first scroll project so. But ya anything helps. Heck if u could pump out some sprites thatd be cool. Or research levels. Idk but anything helps.
Cure

Posted: 12 Dec 2006 09:34:02 pm    Post subject:

I could probably help out with sprites and level design.

I guess this would be a good learning experience for me.
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 12 Dec 2006 09:51:03 pm    Post subject:

As I said on the other page, I will help you to optimize/debugg if you post parts of code and tell me what are the supposed inputs/outputs. Just ask!
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 12 Dec 2006 09:52:32 pm    Post subject:

Cool if u have calc gs cool if not heres the link below. This is a good tool for making sprites animations, and maps.

Calc GS

Btw I was thinking of taking a google pic of metal slug logo(search: metal slug logo) and using this tool to make it a pic. Im not sure how this prgm works but heres the link to it.

Linkadink for istudio

The metal slug logo should stay black and white i think but fool around with it.
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 12 Dec 2006 10:10:05 pm    Post subject:

Ok, it's not very complicated:

To have good GS effects, then use interrupts in-game and fixed code in menus while using multiple layers. Note: as the LCD driver changes with calc versions, the greyscale that might look perfect on 1 calc might look really bad on another (I experimented).

For IStudio2, it is very simple of use. Save your color image in a .bmp format. Open it in IStudio2. Select the greyscale level you want and the output format (you want .db Z80 format with no compression, for now). Then click ok and open up the output file in notepad. Here you have your picture converted in code, ready to re-compile in your program.

You can just play with colours in paint, or with This program of mine, which lets you draw 4 level Greyscale directly on your calc and then hex-output it on your calc, then transfer th .8xp file on your computer and then copy/paste the code in your source code.
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 12 Dec 2006 10:27:11 pm    Post subject:

But for a image that is supposed to take up the hole screen is that too much?
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 13 Dec 2006 06:34:27 am    Post subject:

No. The picture's format should be 96*64 (screen size) so it gives a fiole-size on-calc of 768 bytes. Then, if you want 4-level greyscale, you'll need a second layer, that you will need to exchange with the first one very fast continuously. And if you want 8 levels, then you must have 3 layers, and therefore 2304 bytes in total (768*3).

If it is your title screen, then definitely not, it's a title screen, which is basically only a 96*64 image. For your menu, you can just draw your menu options inside your image and then make a selection highlighting or something like that.

Note: I know my program (drawgrey2) is ugly. I did not develop it to be nice, but to be functional and memory-wise.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Dec 2006 07:45:00 am    Post subject:

Wrp_baorder54 wrote:
copyright issues, 'sup?
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 13 Dec 2006 06:21:07 pm    Post subject:

Did u look at the bottom?
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Dec 2006 09:00:20 pm    Post subject:

We can give "Carl" all the credit we want for ripping the game sprites, but it's still Copyright © 1996 Nazca Corporation.
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 13 Dec 2006 09:03:46 pm    Post subject:

ok... thanks for that... Dry
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 13 Dec 2006 09:31:48 pm    Post subject:

Are you planning on doing this in grayscale? If we are going for speed and fast scrolling it might just make it too slow, or really ugly looking on the calc. Look at the robot war screenies, black and white can still have awesome graphics. Also if you go to maxcoderz it appears that someone is creating a top down shooter.
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 14 Dec 2006 05:53:49 pm    Post subject:

Because metal slug has so many sprites/ intense background/ objects on screen, i thought about one grey, but everyone on irc confirmed it would be slow. I think that because this is such an intense game, we cant afford gfrey but maybe later if for saome reason our game is lightining speed.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement