This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 03 Dec 2006 05:27:34 pm    Post subject:

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::::::::::::
METAL SLUG ANYONE?
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::::::::::::

Background:

1) Metal slug is a 2d scrolling shoot em up aka run 'n gun.
2) It is a futuristic game that makes a spoof on terrorism and bla blah blah.
3) There are two original characters to chose from:
* Marco Rossi
* Tarma Roving
4) They are part of a special elite team called the Peregrine Falcon Squad.
5) Weapons: pistol, machine gun, flameshot, rocket launcher, shotgun, bombs.
6) There is one vehicle that the cahracter can ride. The METAL SLUG itself is a small one man tank, it has a machine gun like weapon called the vulcan and small rockets.
7) Enemies include but are not limited to: germans, yetis, aliens, zombies, mummies etc.
Cool It's extremely fun.

NOW FOR GOALS:

1) Accuracy: I want this to be as accurate as possible.
2) smooth scrolling
3) Possibly a level editor?
4) Both characters to chose from
5) Most if not all weapons
6) zombies, germans, aliens at least
7) Fast gameplay

If you are interested REPLY SOON! Thanks

Remember: This is going to be in z80 asm.
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 03 Dec 2006 07:21:26 pm    Post subject:

I'm interested. I don't know if I'll be able to give too much time with my super busy life right now. But we'll see what I can do.
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 03 Dec 2006 07:30:08 pm    Post subject:

Maybe you have not alot of replies because the most of the work is actually the code, not the artwork...

@banaman: I bet your secret project is the TI-freakware contest entry. Hmm, let's see
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 03 Dec 2006 07:55:47 pm    Post subject:

Cool thanks! If we get more people this could be a great project.

Here are some sptires I've made so far...

Stand Sprites:

Im also working on the scrolling routine right now

Fallen Ghost wrote:
Maybe you have not alot of replies because the most of the work is actually the code, not the artwork...

@banaman: I bet your secret project is the TI-freakware contest entry. Hmm, let's see
[post="91887"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I dont get what ur saying. I mean all games have the code part and the artwork part. Y is this any different?

Last edited by Guest on 03 Dec 2006 08:06:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 03 Dec 2006 08:30:28 pm    Post subject:

Ok, making sprites and all the artwork is maybe 75 hours (for a good ASM game, for someone that is not good in artwork)

Making the code is maybe, let's say 200 hours for someone that knows exactly what he/she does in ASM, so for a non-E1|73, maybe 350+.

I may be exaggerating the hours a bit, but the ratio is still the same. I don't want to put your project down by this. I'm just saying it's already rough to find people when they do only artwork... so coders. Anyway, I'll let you have fun with your program, as I already have another big ASM project to do.

Last edited by Guest on 03 Dec 2006 08:30:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 03 Dec 2006 09:46:06 pm    Post subject:

it just sounds like your trying to dissuade me from making the game. Thanks..... Dry
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 03 Dec 2006 10:08:07 pm    Post subject:

myself wrote:
I don't want to put your project down by this.

Ok, maybe my post seemed offensive, but it was not meant to.

myself again wrote:
Anyway, I'll let you have fun with your program, as I already have another big ASM project to do.

In the way of "do what you want". I'm not saying it's not important, I'm saying that I just have a pile other projects, like a big program for school to do in ASM (I prefered this to some research on the malaysian apes) and all testing due to that.

Like I just said (in other words), good idea with your project, I hope you will succeed with it.
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 04 Dec 2006 05:52:20 pm    Post subject:

I'm actually not a very good artist, but I would be willing to help with the code for the project.

@ Fallen: No my secret project is not for the Freakware contest. I never had time to complete my game for that one, although I had a pretty good engine going.
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 04 Dec 2006 07:34:48 pm    Post subject:

Cool that's wat is gioing to take 350+ hours says gohst rider falling. I mean i got a lota sprites that are decent. But we can cghange those. By the way, the metal slug tank in arcade games has the gun that shoots 360 degrees. But since were working with a crap calc, i think we should limit it to this:

If ur pressing left it will shoot left
If ur pressing right it will shoot right
if ur pressing up it will shoot up
(maybe if we want: when tank is on higher level then eneies, tank can shoot down at them. But i dont know)

By the way if we do this, Ive got right and left sprites for tank ill edit this post when i upload image.

EDIT

Here we go left and right shooting for tanks:

What do you think?

BTW for the scroll routine, putting in account that we want a smooth scroll, should we use dwedits? or what do u think bananaman?

Last edited by Guest on 05 Dec 2006 06:17:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 05 Dec 2006 10:43:55 pm    Post subject:

I don't know. I haven't programmed a smooth scrolling game yet, so I don't have too much input into what elf helper I like to use the most.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 06 Dec 2006 12:20:10 am    Post subject:

Looking forward to this game.

--AlienCC
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 10 Dec 2006 11:44:05 pm    Post subject:

Well considering its fast, and almost fastest, I say we cant do anybetter. And this game will be cpu draining. we need the fastsest we can get. There are gonna be a lotta sprites on the screen at the same time so...

EDIT

JACKPOT

Marco Rossi Sprites, Im gonna try to make animations. btw i just learned their is a faster scrolling screnn than dwedits, its crash_man's or somehting. Gotta find it first. We should probably get someone to help us who is more skilled in scrolling. Know anone?

Last edited by Guest on 11 Dec 2006 06:21:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 11 Dec 2006 06:27:31 pm    Post subject:

Spencer would be crazy, but he is doing Zelda and wouldn't have any time.

Aren't some of those sprites a little bit overboard for the calc, for example do we really need to have one for drinking water? I don't know very much about the game so don't scream at me if it is fundamental or anything.
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 11 Dec 2006 07:00:52 pm    Post subject:

Dude its just a google image i found. Im not gonna make alll them! lol There is no need for water drinking and i dont thin we should do reloading( never remember metal slug having reload) Its just a tool. And no there wont be 9 different frames. I just pulled this up and i think this will help.

Sprite We Need:
Charachters:
run
jump
duck
shoot
grenade
respawn: i was thinking that because when u die and respawn in game u come back flashing, like most games.
Melee attack

Metal slug Tank:
shoot right/left/up
jump(yes the slug jumps)

Bad guys
shoot
gernade
run

Thats it!

Thats not too much is it? We can downsize if we have to.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Dec 2006 07:37:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 11 Dec 2006 07:05:59 pm    Post subject:

As fast as Crash's tilemapper is (insane 100fps), it has limits

You can only use 32 tiles, and I'm pretty sure that won't be enough to make nice backgrounds like in most metal slug games.

also, 50 fps is generally a good number. from what I've heard, any more than that is a waste of clock cycles that could be spent doing other calculations. Although 100 fps would be pretty cool still.

afaik, most metal slug games look like they're scrolling through large background pictures as opposed to be tilebased. you could write your own mapper for this purpose in mind.

or you could use dwedit's and use lot's of tiles. it's up to you really.
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 11 Dec 2006 07:08:42 pm    Post subject:

Thats a thought. I was thinking that because a whole scenic background is alot for the calc. I was thnking about having a slow scxrolling background. And if there was a map editor say, u would choose a theme. a snowy background, desert, city, blahblah. But u bring up a good point Liazon.
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 11 Dec 2006 07:20:02 pm    Post subject:

I've read that Jim_E made some in the Sonic progress thread. Looks like it's the optimized version of Dwedit's tilemapper (that's what he says, I never used a tilemapper, so I don't know what it is like)

linky

Sonic thread post

Last edited by Guest on 11 Dec 2006 07:21:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 11 Dec 2006 08:41:12 pm    Post subject:

o.o how are you making Starcraft w/o a mapper? or do you mean that you make your own mappers?
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 11 Dec 2006 08:43:30 pm    Post subject:

starcraft? are u talking to ghost or me? OFF TOPIC ALERT!! OFF TOPIC ALERT!! jk
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 11 Dec 2006 10:35:29 pm    Post subject:

Then let's not ruin Wrp's topic and use PMs.

I agree with the fact in Metal slug, it would pretty much more be a big image, because the background isn't very repetitive (depends on which version/flash you played). If it is very repetitive, you should use a tilemapper for memory savings.

I think that handling a reasonable amount of units is better than to have to search a very large matrix (of over 128*128) each frame for sprites... That's why I don't like tilemapping
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement