This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Website subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. United-TI Top Management => Website
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Nov 2006 04:19:46 am    Post subject:

Wrp_baorder54 posted in Undocumented Tricks in Basic for the purpose of advertising his website.

I increased his warning level once for "Advertising in an inappropriate forum of discussion."

I deleted his post, which can be found here.

The PM I sent to him reads:
Weregoose wrote:
Your warning level has been increased for violating rules 5 and 9 in the Terms and Conditions. It would have been far more respectful to create a new thread in the appropriate area of discussion. Instead, what your post amounts to is spam, and so we will treat it as such. You will continue to have a place in these forums as long as you allow yourself to remain here by following the rules. There isn't any excuse not to, and further problems will yield additional (and probably more severe) consequences. You're free to try again when you're able.

–Weregoose

Last edited by Guest on 26 Nov 2006 04:32:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Nov 2006 08:34:20 am    Post subject:

He has visited the forums at least twice since my PM.

He hasn't posted anywhere or sent a response, so I'll close this topic.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Dec 2006 08:14:48 pm    Post subject:

Double posted in METAL SLUG ANYONE? with 3 minutes in between posts. I deleted the second post and edited into the first one instead, I also sent him a PM.

I believe it would be a good idea to keep a single topic for each member; in this instance, the topic would be merged with the Member warned topic. What's everyone else think?

Edit: I guess 'everyone else' thinks exactly the same.

Last edited by Guest on 03 Dec 2006 08:27:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Dec 2006 08:39:37 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
I believe it would be a good idea to keep a single topic for each member; in this instance, the topic would be merged with the Member warned topic. What's everyone else think?

Edit: I guess 'everyone else' thinks exactly the same.
Sorry, I realize I'm not everyone else. I do believe, though, that it's important to keep the names together so that nothing is missed each time a name comes up. I was also just about to reply in this thread with some updated information that I'm certain correlated with the double post discussed in your thread.

I received this PM from Wrp_baorder54 (I assume shortly after DarkerLine sent his PM):
Wrp_baorder54 wrote:
i still dont know why u warned me? please explain

My response:
Weregoose wrote:
You were warned for advertising in an inappropriate forum of discussion.

This disregarded both the Registration Terms & Rules and the forum Terms and Conditions.

–Weregoose

His response:
Wrp_baorder54 wrote:
All i said was that they had just repeated everything in the 1337 basic elite guide that was on ticalc.org  Is there something wrong with that?

My response:
Weregoose wrote:
You and I both know it was more than that.

I quote:
Wrp_baorder54 wrote:
Great Guys! You just recited 1137 Basic Elite's pdf file.  Just look up text files on ticalc.org and you'll find plenty of optimization docs.  If it interests you im working on a windows app to do all that for you.  Basically you would just import your basic program or start typing in a textbox to make a basic program, hit the optimize button, and poof, your prgm has been optimized, well any thats a project im working on, goto www.warpedlabs.com  Sorry its not link, but im in quick reply.  -Will

–Weregoose

Last edited by Guest on 03 Dec 2006 08:49:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Dec 2006 10:00:34 pm    Post subject:

His latest response:
Wrp_baorder54 wrote:
Ok so ya i got a little side tracked... i discussed how i was doing the same thing by making a program that did it for you and for more details go to .....

In my mind that is not advertising, and not going off topic that much. Plus whether it was in your mind spam or not... was it really that bad that you warned me? I mean, if i did that 4 more times I'd get banned. Is that something to be banned about? Read my post again, taking into account that it was my first point and reconsider the fact that you raised my warn level to 20% im not asking you to change it. I just think it was unnecesary and i want you to see that.

I don't plan to undo the warning. He was advertising (Rule 5) in a forum where it was off-topic (Rule 9), and just after being given the rules upon registering. I won't send him a reply this time because there's nothing to add.

Last edited by Guest on 03 Dec 2006 10:01:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 04 Dec 2006 12:42:59 am    Post subject:

I replied to him and backed you up. I always feel it is good to answer any questions a member like this asks because by answering questions you do several things:

* Show that you are going to adhere to the rules no matter what and will not go back
* Clear up any misunderstandings and point to the rules link. I.e. they can no longer say they did not see the rules.
* You are supportive and show understanding and that you care

Basically, this member is going through disbelief. He honestly at this point does not understand that he did anything wrong; furthermore, he feels victimized. This is not a good situation because it can do several things:

* Make him fear us
* Make him hate us
* Make him leave United-TI
* If he doesn't understand, he cannot do better in the future.

For these reasons, I stepped in and decided to act as a third party of sorts:

Good Morning, Afternoon, Evening, or Night depending on where you are,

All of the United-TI Staff keeps track of everything that goes on in a Management Area of the Forum. Essentially, anytime we do something, we post what we did in a Staff Area. Hence, we have an entire topic on your warning.

I am going to answer your question on behalf of another UTI-STAFF member.

You asked according to the management area:

Wrp_baorder54 wrote:
Ok so ya i got a little side tracked... i discussed how i was doing the same thing by making a program that did it for you and for more details go to .....

In my mind that is not advertising, and not going off topic that much. Plus whether it was in your mind spam or not... was it really that bad that you warned me? I mean, if i did that 4 more times I'd get banned. Is that something to be banned about? Read my post again, taking into account that it was my first point and reconsider the fact that you raised my warn level to 20% im not asking you to change it. I just think it was unnecesary and i want you to see that.

In the beginning, you admit to getting a little bit side tracked, which is essentially admitting guilt and an excuse. However, it is a very good excuse and also tells us that you are not likely to make the same mistake again. I am not going to say whether or not it was SPAM as this is between you and Weregoose; however, it is clear that you are NOT trying to sell something. As you noticed, Weregoose has not banned you. All he has done is raise your warning 20%. This should be taken as just a friendly tap on the shoulder to let you know we noticed what you did. This was for breaking or at the very least bending two forum rules. We know for a fact this is at the very least partially off topic, Warnings are private in that only you and the UTI-STAFF can see them. Eventually, the Warning Logs and warnings get removed. A warning level on its own does not affect the status of your account in that you can do just as much with 20% as you can with 0% or 100%. Extra steps would be required to ban you.

Rule 5: You must not advertise, sell stuff, or Spam! If you do, your account will be removed and you will be banned!
You have not been banned

Rule 9: You must try to stay on topic. If you are in an off topic discussion, please try to get back on topic or start another discussion thread about your topic. Please do your best; I would like to thank you for doing a great job most of the time

To answer this part:
"was it really that bad that you warned me? I mean, if i did that 4 more times I'd get banned. Is that something to be banned about?"

No, it wasn't really very bad in the scheme of things. Weregoose is just letting you know and logging it as any UTI-STAFF member would. He is just being professional. Actually, you would probalby be banned in less than 4 more times if you do the exact same thing. Typically if the same action is repeated, you will get your warning increased 40%. Hence, if you repeat this, you may see your warning increased to 60% and be put on a short suspension. If these rulles are continuously broken then it is definitly something worth being banned for doing. However, it is not worth being banned over for a one-time incedent

As it stands, this is only a one time incedent, so don't worry about it.

Typically warnings work like this:

20% and PM for first offence. Reason is to let somoene know what they did is wrong.

40% increase for repeat offence, hence, 60% warning or more. Optional: Short suspension. Definite PM contact

20% for a different offence. I.e. if you broke rule 5 and 9, then break a completely different rule such as make an obnoxiously long signature, you will see your warning go up only an additional 20%. You will most likely not be suspended considering this would be a completely different problem.

If your warning level increases to 100%, you get a very long suspension or are completely banned indefinitly. It honesty would depend on circumstances.

Weregoose writes:

Weregoose wrote:
I don't plan to undo the warning. He was advertising (Rule 5) in a forum where it was off-topic (Rule 9), and just after being given the rules upon registering. I won't send him a reply this time because there's nothing to add.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Jan 2007 01:50:22 am    Post subject:

I just received a PM from Wrp_baorder54. It looks to be an honest apology and an effort to "start off new"; this is a pleasant turnaround from the contempt he once showed me on IRC following the incident. My instincts now tell me to lift the warning, and I will carry through in that regard. As it is, it's been more than a month, and he certainly hasn't been unlikable as a member. I'll be closing this thread again, for I see no reason to go back over this.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Jan 2007 01:53:54 am; edited 1 time in total
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 11 Jan 2007 07:56:43 pm    Post subject:

Alright.

I usually don't even bother to lift warnings. I just wait it out and in time execute an SQL Query to delete the really old ones. Additionally, I Cleanup very old warn logs. I have not done this in a year.

Basically, I never tell them when I remove their warning. I just make the warning disappear.

However, you are totally right in using your own judgment and doing what you saw was right at the time.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Jan 2007 07:57:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Mar 2007 11:01:51 pm    Post subject:

baorder54 has been sending a few malicious PM's to Cure—even to the point of making a hobby out of antagonizing him. (I saw one for myself, and it had an unrestrained amount of profanity in it.) After hearing of these complaints from Cure and then seeing this post, I did respond, as well as raise baorder54's warning to 40% along with this message:
Weregoose wrote:
We've been hearing of Cure's distress over your messages. It stops now, or your account will be suspended. If there are further problems with other members, then we want to hear it from you before the other individual gets an unfriendly note in his inbox.

–Weregoose

I see a pattern with him. When I first warned baorder54, he came back at me in IRC with mockery and public insults. Now, with Cure's recent posts instructing baorder54 on how to act more properly, we have the theater of personal messages. I think he has a problem trusting others who are able to tell him what to do for his own good.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 12 Mar 2007 04:03:17 pm    Post subject:

Speaking of public insults, I think as a forum we went a little too far. Posting someone else's PM so that everyone can join in the condemning is a bit much.

However, I have no problem with your warning for harassment. I think he's bitter from before; did you notice he mimicked the exact things he was told off for?
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 13 Mar 2007 07:11:58 pm    Post subject:

alexrudd wrote:
However, I have no problem with your warning for harassment.  I think he's bitter from before; did you notice he mimicked the exact things he was told off for?[post="98711"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Actually I did notice yet bitterness is still not a valid excuse to be contempt with others here.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement