This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Nov 2006 10:42:38 pm    Post subject:

I am planning on making Defend Your Castle (by xGen studios) in basic!!! I would like to use xLib if it means faster gameplay as well. I want this game to be as fast as it possibly can be--in other words, with almost no lag after a keypress.

I've seen this done once before, but that was in PURE basic and had at least a 2 second lagtime on a keypress.

I am currently looking for people who are interested in helping out on this. I have absolutely nothing done. However, I would also like to cut a few features from the flash game to make it faster and more playable. Like instead of throwing the guys up, squashing them and replacing them with a "*." I don't really want to use 8*8 sprites--this would take up a large portion of the screen needed for the HUD. The features I would want follow:

1. Mages--what fun would the game be without them? Spells include those in the game, with exception of the INSTANT CONVERSION spell.
2. Archers--randomly dying people WHAT FUN!!!
3. All the obvious stuff--HP, MP, score, cash, upgrades, repairs, etc.
4. Using minimal pics--perhaps 2, 1 for the playing field, 1 for the title screen.
5. A saved game feature--not too hard to incorporate.
6. Using the keys [MATH] through [/] (a 3*4 grid) for squashing things.
7. Having different enemy types would be almost mandatory, but I think it would heavily limit speed.
8. Hotkeys for spells(duh!)
9. Instead of having to convert guys, you can hire as many as you want--but you have to pay upkeep for every one!
10. Instead of having people banging on the door with their hands, I would like them to simply run into it and kill themselves. Although this differs from the flash version, it would also make it much easier than having an "A 2" next to your castle to indicate 2 guys banging on your door.

So that's basically it. This is the thread in which most participants will talk with one another on aspects of the game. Simply PM me or easier yet, reply here to be "in". There are no expectations for any volunteers--no full or part time crap. All you have to do is stick your head in once in a while and chat about suggestions. I myself will probably be doing most of the programming, but others can do what they want, post code, and I'll look at it.

I would prefer this not to use any external subroutines. Any volunteers will recieve credit somewhere, according to your username here. If you don't want to by credited in the game by your username, just say so. I will update this thread when I have the engine done.
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 16 Nov 2006 10:50:50 pm    Post subject:

Harrierfalcon wrote:
I've seen this done once before, but that was in PURE basic and had at least a 2 second lagtime on a keypress.
[post="91163"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

PURE Basic doesn't mean well done, if it took 2 secs to interpret keypresses, there's a problem (depending on what the program does, if it's a 3d graphics generator, then I don't care about keypress time)

Also, shouldn't this be in "Projets Ideas" forum?

I'll try to help you if you hand me some code to optimize, but I try to get focused on 3d or ASM now so I shouldnt be creating (past experiences with Basic animations hold me far).
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 16 Nov 2006 10:54:14 pm    Post subject:

Change it to robots or something. Then you could have them connect into larger ones at the door instead of having lots of small enemies.
slayer117

Posted: 17 Nov 2006 09:14:59 am    Post subject:

i'll help we have a forum up that is currently in the making and it will tell you how to make a fairly good sprite(if you ask) and we can also halp with coding a little
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Nov 2006 11:17:19 am    Post subject:

My biggest issue right now is making the guys walk to your castle. I need to use a matrix to make reading keypresses easier. I honestly don't know how to do it, and i've been noodling it for about a week.
WikiGuru
ADOS (Attention deficit... Oh! Shiny!)

Elite

Posted: 30 Nov 2006 08:30:24 pm    Post subject:

A way to make them walk to the castle:
store the castle's location to a variable or two.
store the unit's location in a similar fashion.
Use some flavor of a line formula to calculate:

Code:
#if unit_x_coord < castle_x_coord
 unit_x_coord+1
#if unit_x_coord > castle_x_coord
 unit_x_coord-1
#if unit_y_coord < castle_y_coord
 unit_y_coord+1
#if unit_y_coord > castle_y_coord
 unit_y_coord-1
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 30 Nov 2006 10:55:45 pm    Post subject:

The castle doesn't move.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Dec 2006 07:28:39 am    Post subject:

I was gonna say....

Won't the castle have preset coordinates and not need any variables?

And I'm pretty sure I said I wanted to use a matrix, not individual variables.
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 05 Dec 2006 06:54:29 pm    Post subject:

Ya but just bleep that out. Question. Are you gonna make a cursor to aim at the poeple coming towards the castle or make it so a gun goes up or down. Anyways, that was horrible qwestion. Simpilified: How will you kill ur targets?
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Dec 2006 09:47:31 pm    Post subject:

Dunno. I was thinking of just pressing a certain key to squash in a certain spot.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 06 Dec 2006 04:12:02 pm    Post subject:

That's probably the best way to do it. Maybe have an on-screen grid to see which key to press? (Or have it for Easy mode, but not for Hard)

I still like the idea of enemies combining/morphing into bigger enemies. Smile
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Dec 2006 05:24:46 pm    Post subject:

How about the grid disappears after a certain level (10, perhaps)?. First thing is to accomplish engine. I just want to use a matrix and have the guys essentially side-scroll to the castle.
WikiGuru
ADOS (Attention deficit... Oh! Shiny!)

Elite

Posted: 09 Dec 2006 01:56:25 pm    Post subject:

I wasn't saying that they were exactly variables, but just that you know what I'm describing. Besides, I don't know what coordinates you're going to use for the castle, anyways.
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 10 Dec 2006 04:29:08 pm    Post subject:

i think that after 10 levels of having a grid to help, u wouldnt need it anymore. That is easy in my view but wut if u used the arrow keys to rotate a coannon that shot in 5 certain areas. If im correct, ur thinking of something like if u press 1 it kills people in the farthest spot, 2 and u kill people next clsoest spot. But if u had to rotate a cannon 4 times to get from spot 1 to 5, thatd be challenging
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Dec 2006 05:19:00 pm    Post subject:

I kinda remember saying maybe 10, not 10.

Anyways..how much would you guys like to see this? I mean, I'm really not that motivated any more, for some reason.
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 11 Dec 2006 08:24:25 pm    Post subject:

Well it would be kinda cool to see it made. Im not a fan of this game. Not even a flash defend castle game. But im sure others would enjoy it, especially if its fast fun and well made.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement