This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Modifications => Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics
NextPerception

Posted: 21 Sep 2003 09:24:06 pm    Post subject:

I did a test a while back about that
I tried doing this 3 times

I measured the amount of time it took for four brand new batteries to be used up with 4 hours of use (no linking) a day. did this until bat. low screen apeared
The first try was 15 days
The second was 16 days
The third was 15 days

Next I tried using two batteries that whhere took out the second the battery low screen started apearing. I took these and put 2 in with 2 new batteries. since the old ones where aprox 1/4 used up then his new one should take about a week to run out.
for some reason this configuration only lasted 2 days each time until it started displaying this.

ever since then I always replace all batteries at once
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 22 Sep 2003 12:07:45 am    Post subject:

thx jbirk. and i thought i knew alot about electroincs!
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Sep 2003 06:35:29 am    Post subject:

omni wrote:
They also said not to mix brands or old batteris with new ones. Will anything bad happen if I do do that?

Nah, it'll work fine as long as the batteries themselves work properly.
Flash
Umpa Loompa

Posted: 22 Sep 2003 05:20:40 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Does you calculator work properly? (Flash)

it turned off on me once so far for no apparent reason... but other then that it works just as good as with new batteries
NextPerception

Posted: 23 Sep 2003 08:06:10 pm    Post subject:

so alkaline rechargables are the best for the calculator?
do you need a special type of charger or can you use a NiCd/NiMh charger to charge them?
charge rate?
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 23 Sep 2003 10:36:59 pm    Post subject:

They are called rechargable alkaline. You cannot recharge regular alkaline batteries.

Checkout http://rayovac.com

Although rechargable alkaline batteries do not charge many times, or have much power compared to others, they are the best for your calculaotr because they have all of the same properties of alkaline batteries.

You recharge them with the Ray O Vac Rechargable Alkaline Charger.
You cannot use a NiCD or NiMh charger on them!

Here is the good news: 2 Rechargable Alkaline AA's generally come with the charger, which costs $10 and you can buy a 4 pack of AAA's or AA's for about $6 making them $1.50 per battery. That is nothing considering that NiMh batteries are anywhere from $3 to $6 each!

About mixing battery types:

It is best not to mix used and new, new and old, and types.

In other words, do not mix an Alkaline with a Rechargable Alkaline, a NiCd or anything else.

What ends up happening is one battery goes dead faster than the others, and the good ones try to force electrons through the dead ones. This is potentially bad with rechargables because the current will be pushed through forward.

It is like recharging them to a negative voltage. Once you reverse charge them, they undergo a polarity change and will never charge correctly again because have damaged the internal chemicals.

Basically, if you are going to mix batteries, mix energizer with duracell and rayovac because they are all about the same in voltage, internal resistance, and composition. Besides, if they don't link and are disposable you have little to loose.
anduril66
Anduril is the Flame of the West!

Posted: 01 Oct 2003 12:52:32 pm    Post subject:

Assuming it is possible to hook up a TI to a solar panel, about how large would the solar panel have to be?
NextPerception

Posted: 01 Oct 2003 05:20:24 pm    Post subject:

well here i can help
solar panels are all you work with in beam robotics (i used to do that)
you would have two options with solar panels
you could have them trickle charging some rechargable batteries with a fairly small solar cell except when it is in your backpack with no light (unless you have one of those mesh back packs) it would get no light to charge with.
to completely power a graphing calculator with a solar panel you would need a huge chunk of silicon
if each battery is 1.5 volts and gives off 15ma of power then compensate for the lack of light inside most classrooms
(about 1/6 the light of outdoors on avrage if no windows)
it turns out to be about a solar panel about 6 inches by 6 inches give or take an inch or two in both directions
anduril66
Anduril is the Flame of the West!

Posted: 02 Oct 2003 09:57:30 am    Post subject:

Can you please teach me how to trickle charge batteries?
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 02 Oct 2003 10:02:03 am    Post subject:

The TI manual says don't use NiCD batteries, not all rechargeables.
NextPerception

Posted: 05 Oct 2003 01:39:39 pm    Post subject:

will alkaline rechargables get a memory if you recharge them before they are all the way dead?
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 05 Oct 2003 04:10:10 pm    Post subject:

No, but they will fail after about 10 to 25 charges anyway.
NextPerception

Posted: 12 Oct 2003 01:01:41 pm    Post subject:

JACstudios_ceo wrote:
The TI manual says don't use NiCD batteries, not all rechargeables.

I knew it said somethinglike that I just read it a long time ago and coldn't remember the specifics of the battery type and did not wan't to give totally false information so I just said rechargable batteries in general. (I was too lazy to look it up myself Wink )
Thank you for the clarification.
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 12 Oct 2003 03:10:23 pm    Post subject:

You're welcome.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement