This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's z80 & ez80 Assembly subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Z80 & 68k Assembly => z80 & ez80 Assembly
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 13 Jun 2003 07:23:15 pm    Post subject:

as long as it works correctly, i dont really care Razz
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 14 Jun 2003 03:09:39 am    Post subject:

Darth Android wrote:
as long as it works correctly, i dont really care Razz

Tasm works correctly when the user writes correct code.
John Barrus

Posted: 14 Jun 2003 05:48:27 am    Post subject:

I use tasm for because it's non-case sensitive
Job the GameQuitter

Posted: 14 Jun 2003 07:34:38 am    Post subject:

jonorossi wrote:
If everyone only helps a bit then this could work, but i don't expect much from any body because the professional asm coders wouldn't like this type of tool because they have had to learn it the hard way.

Laughing No, you got the "professional" ASM coders all wrong. The reason they don't like this type of tool isn't because of the tool, but (some of) the people who'll use it. To be precise, n00bs who are too lazy and/or uncaring to learn proper programming, and flood TI-calculator with useless, poorly coded programs.
jonorossi

Posted: 14 Jun 2003 09:00:48 am    Post subject:

Most people use TASM so that is what i am going to use because you have the flexibility of editing the asm code that was generated.

Job the GameQuitter i agree; is there anyway of making sure that the people that make stuff know at least advanced basic? No there isn't, because asking them would be stupid, lol.

What we could do is have a network and test apps in the debugger before they were accepted onto the site.

Thanks everyone; i have a few TASM commands sent to me, i will start putting them into my studio and i will add an update on the website in the next week. So can you please send me some commands.

Thanks, Jono
nindoja

Posted: 14 Jun 2003 07:47:16 pm    Post subject:

Well, you might want to ask the people at maxcoderz, they are always willing to help.
David
The XORcist!

Advanced Member

Posted: 15 Jun 2003 05:17:42 am    Post subject:

jonorossi wrote:
What the TI-OS does when running TI-BASIC programs is convert the basic commands into asm then it can run them.
If this converting is done before the program/app is run i believe that the asm commands can be fed straight into the processor.

Hrm, I've heard that thought many times before. Like Jbirk, I suspect that the converted product will be much large than most users will tolerate. I don't know if you'd gain some speed either. It will also take a great deal of time for us to figure the asm equivalent of every TI-BASIC instruction.

I'm going to write an explanation of my idea. Feel free to ignore it Smile
Shortly, I have a new programming language in mind. Or you maybe you should call it simplified asm code.

As for example, a simple program would look like

Code:
 tinyVar myInt
 constant myString = "Here's some text"

Output(6,4,myString)
 myInt = Get_KeyPress
 Return

The computer program will then work as a pre-assembler that translates this into asm code.
As you see, you have to define the variables. The myInt variable is supposed to writeable, and the pre-assembler takes care of finding a suitable saferam location for it. The 'tinyVar' keyword has the meaning "one byte of data".

Then we have a string that is constant. Now, this is really simple. The pre-assembler adds a label named "myString" and a .db statement containing the string to the source.
The Output instruction is familiar from TI-BASIC, and works the same way. Get_KeyPress is just a renamed bcall(_getKey). In this example we store the returned key code in myInt.
Return is nothing more than a renamed ret.

IMHO, this would be the be the best way.

Another way I considered is to make a new interpreted language. We'd have to write the interpreter in form of an app. The programs would then be smaller as we move the asm equivalents of the commands from the program into the app. However, since it is interpreted, it would run with less speed. But still it would run many times faster than TI-BASIC.
The role of Jonathan Rossi studio would then be the same as the TI-BASIC editor in the graph-link from TI; to convert the tokens to strings and vice versa.
Job the GameQuitter

Posted: 15 Jun 2003 05:53:29 am    Post subject:

Are you suggesting something like a "C for 83+" kind of program?
62 52 53 53
Formerly known as 62 52 53 53

Posted: 15 Jun 2003 05:06:09 pm    Post subject:

sort of, or another interpreted language. If we make our own interpreted language, I think that we should have the ability to do things like Gosub and have a command that would let us lapse into assembly. (certain things, such as menus and checking the value of variables, are easier done in interpreted languages, but it would be nice to have the capability to do interrupts and such(to do this we would probably have asmbegin and asmend, and copy the bin commands in between to execute them)) I would also enjoy things like gotovar (var), (allowing statements such as gotovar str1, or gotovar a) which would take you to different places depending on the var.(ex: if str1="AE", it would take you lable AE) Gosubvar would take you to a subroutine depending on the variable.
jonorossi

Posted: 16 Jun 2003 09:51:57 am    Post subject:

Hey

David that sounds like a really cool idea but it is way out of my reach. I don't know that amount of assembly for TI-83+.

I remember a small crappy program i made that was 1.28kb in the *.asm file and compiled to a 0.542kb *.hex file and the *.8xk was 0.765kb.
That means that the asm app is smaller then the asm code.
I know that the converting from tibasic to asm will output a larger file but also remember that apps are stored on the flash rom and not on ram. app take up 32786 (some thing like that, cannot remember; it might be 16000, and 32000 for the TI-OS, someone should be able to verify), so if the app is only 1000bytes then the rest is wasted.

I have another idea that might be useful. An asm editer, there are heaps out there but most of them are not finished and are not really easy to use.

Thanks for leading me in the right direction, Jono
62 52 53 53

Posted: 16 Jun 2003 11:12:04 am    Post subject:

I actually think that we should just add the commands like gosubvar, gotovar, gosub, asmbegin, and asmend to the calculator via an app/prog (interrupt, like symbolic and omnicalc). this would be easier than a new interpreted language, and take up less space.(unless you plan to help michael vincent by making the language for ceptic)
Job the GameQuitter

Posted: 16 Jun 2003 01:12:02 pm    Post subject:

ceptic? Confused
yugniht

Posted: 16 Jun 2003 01:29:23 pm    Post subject:

If I remember right, it was the name of the OS he was making. I may be wrong, and it may be the name of an app but I'm pretty sure it was the OS
62 52 53 53

Posted: 16 Jun 2003 01:48:30 pm    Post subject:

Michael Vincent (at www.detatchedsolutions.com) is making his own, free, programmer oriented OS. This massive undertaking, temporarily interrupted by TI, is the CEPTIC OS. Some of it's main features include: ram does not clear when batts pulled, multitasking (on se only), and treating ram and arc as separate drives. It is also expected to have built in password protection, due to Michael's app, Krolypto, although this has not been confirmed. Programs will have a maximum size of 64K, much larger than on TIOS. Based on Michael's interests (which may be better phrased as obsessions), it may have some CABAMAP(CAlculator BAsed MAthmatics Platform, one of Michael's planned apps) code, allowing it to accurately multiply, divide, add, and subtract large numbers, all while showing every digit of the answer, and use RPN. The OS will be the first one not created commercially. It will also be open source, making it the basis for many different independently programmed os, which people are starting to plan already. This OS, although not mainstream, will certainly have a huge impact on the TI community, especially of programmers. Overall, it looks like a great project (although it may seem impossible), but I am confident that Michael will pull it off.

sure, Yugniht, just write a short post while I labor to write a long one that explains every detail... Very Happy

Last edited by Guest on 16 Jun 2003 01:50:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Job the GameQuitter

Posted: 16 Jun 2003 02:41:30 pm    Post subject:

Well, I appreciate the effort for a decent explanation. But how come I can't find any information on it?
62 52 53 53

Posted: 16 Jun 2003 03:42:14 pm    Post subject:

try the forums, go to general(the first one), and click on [ Poll ] OS replacement project discontinued forever

Or click the link: http://www.detachedsolutions.com/forum/vie...topic.php?t=240

Edit: near the end of the thread he got permission to work on it, and the beginning was before that, when they had stopped him. CalcLinux! YAY!

Last edited by Guest on 16 Jun 2003 03:44:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement