This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's z80 & ez80 Assembly subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Z80 & 68k Assembly => z80 & ez80 Assembly
jonorossi

Posted: 07 Jun 2003 08:55:02 pm    Post subject:

Hello

I am currently making a win32 program that does the following, i was looking for somewhere i could post it as a news item but i have posted it here so the format isn't in a forum post.

Either send me an email or post a reply here in this topic; the topic might be easier.

Thanks, Jono

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jonathon Rossi Studio Developers and Beta Testers Required

Jonathon Rossi Studio is windows program that makes you life easier when
programming TI Apps in assembly; Jonathon Rossi Studio allows you to write
you programs in TI-Basic and then your app is converted into assembly
language which is followed by being compiled by Zilog Macro Assembler.

The full source code of your TI-Basic app after being converted is provided
in the projects' *.asm file. Jonathon Rossi Studio currently only supports
the TI-83 Plus, because I have only got a TI-83 Plus, but most other
calculators will be made compatible as more people become apart of this
project.

Jonathon Rossi Studio is not a closed program I welcome anyone who has some
knowledge of any calculator to become apart of this as your knowledge may
help me and everyone who uses and develops this program. One incentive is
that you name will be displayed as a developer or beta tester of the studio
and all developers and beta testers will receive a free copy of the
Enterprise Edition of Jonathon Rossi Studio when it goes public. (if i charge for
the Gold Release; at the moment it will be free)

I am asking you to help me and the community of calculator users develop a
piece of software that will be used to enable the community to better design
and implement their calculator application idea.

Currently I am working on the TI-83 Plus compiling but no plans for the next
calculator have be set or planned, so any request will be gratefully
welcomed.

If you are interested please send me a email to jonathonrossi@hotmail.com

Also if you know of anyone that maybe able to help could you please inform
them of this as it would be greatly appreciated. Remember this message isn't
just for the developers we also need beta testers to make sure the work we
have done is correct; please send me an email if you would like to test
Jonathon Rossi Studio.

Jonathon Rossi Studio Website: http://jonorossi.f2o.org/products/jrstudio/
Development Web Site: http://jonorossi.f2o.org/products/jrstudio/dev/

Regards,
Jonathon Rossi
http://jonorossi.f2o.org
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 07 Jun 2003 09:02:48 pm    Post subject:

nice idea! very nice site! but, i opened a few different .zip files, and they appeared to be empty Confused i think u need to go open the real files on ur comp to make sure they are ok, and then, if they r, u could try re-uploading them...
jonorossi

Posted: 07 Jun 2003 11:24:41 pm    Post subject:

Hello

I downloaded the studio from my site and it has the files in it. I don't know what went wrong but i can send you it by email if you want.

Thanks for your interest, Jono
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 08 Jun 2003 02:45:25 am    Post subject:

Good Luck, but I do not think you will succeed making a program that changes basic to asm.
jonorossi

Posted: 08 Jun 2003 07:31:01 am    Post subject:

Jbirk could you tell me why you don't think that i will succeed making the program. I would like to know so i don't fall into a trap and so i can plan ahead or stop right now and never look at the idea again.

Thanks for you input, Jono
Justin W.
Shattered Silence

Advanced Member

Posted: 08 Jun 2003 09:57:33 am    Post subject:

Well as JBirk and I both know. That in order to convert basic to asm it takes several routines to accomplish the same feat as one basic command. This in turn makes a much larger output program. Also with app addressing a basic style program loses part of it's functionality. That is why JBirk does not think you will succeed although I'm sure he'll add his own little bit to this.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 08 Jun 2003 02:53:36 pm    Post subject:

What I am saying is that even if you do succeed, the resulting product will not be much better than basic.

For example

A+1->A

Your assembly program would have to execute a bcall to get A and use floating point math to add one too it, so it will not be faster.

If you do get it to work, it is likely to be bigger and slower than the basic program without the protection if something goes wrong.

What you could do would be to make an app that ads many fucntions to basic, or you could write your own basic parser.

Perhaps you could write your own basic language/compiler like "Slide" by Dan E.

Slide is an app that allowy you to edit scripts that compile, but they do not compile as small as asm, and the actual language does not look much like basic or asm. Still, the language is easy compared to asm.
gorchy

Posted: 10 Jun 2003 06:57:30 am    Post subject:

there is existing such a program but i can´t remember the name. it´s available on ticalc.org and it has the same problem that the asm-program takes up more space than the basic-program.
jakditko

Posted: 10 Jun 2003 11:18:37 am    Post subject:

It seems to me that a BASIC->ASM compiler for the PC would not be altogether that dificult. TI-BASIC, as it is, is a scripting language, basically. It does not compile it programs, it gets parsed for execution at every runtime, and it allows for batch processing by providing access to most calculator commands. However, if instead of parsing through the program at run time to convert it to recognizable Z80 instructions, you parsed through and converted it into assembly on your computer, in essence, compiled it... You then would have a program that, though it wouldn't run as quickly as hand coded assembly or tediously tapped hex, would run considerably faster than TI-BASIC. Take for instance QBASIC - does it run faster than C++? No! Because C++ is compiled into a quick list of instructions for the processor.
Now, keep in mind that due to the high-level of TI-BASIC, it will not run super super fast, just as a compiled QBASIC program doesn't run as fast as C++. But after being compiled, it should run considerably faster, making amateur game writing and graphics much easier for the beginning TI programmer to master.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 10 Jun 2003 01:54:40 pm    Post subject:

Well, I have something wierd to tell you.

Perl is compiled at run time. In other words, the program is compiled, executed, and then removed from memory.

I believe PHP is interpreted, but either way, I am almost sure that PHP is as fast or faster than Perl.

If you have heard of Mod Perl or Mod PHP, they make it so that the perl or PHP program is compiled the first time. After that, the compiled binary is left resident in memory making future script executions faster.
jonorossi

Posted: 11 Jun 2003 07:30:52 am    Post subject:

What the TI-OS does when running TI-BASIC programs is convert the basic commands into asm then it can run them.
If this converting is done before the program/app is run i believe that the asm commands can be fed straight into the processor.

Correct me if i am wrong but if you convert the basic commands to asm before execution time the program would be faster. The converter that i am intending to make would output the asm code so you can actually make you own changes to the code before compiling the asm app. Also the basic code you write in my studio also supports inline asm code; this means that you can have pieces of asm code in with the basic commands that the converters reads and will directly add them into your outputted asm file.

Thanks for your time, Jono
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 11 Jun 2003 12:47:00 pm    Post subject:

then it will be even harder! will it show lowercase letters as garbage, or will they be lowercase? (if u dont understand this then the answer is lowercase Wink ) btw, how far along is it? does it convert many commands yet?
62 52 53 53
Formerly known as 62 52 53 53

Posted: 11 Jun 2003 02:15:32 pm    Post subject:

If that works, some people will worship you like god. Of course, some people don't worship god either. But I would like it anyway.
jonorossi

Posted: 12 Jun 2003 06:26:06 am    Post subject:

Hello

Adm.Wiggin
Are you saying commands like 'Stop' have a uppercase and currently only work if it is in the same case as i put? If so then i have two options which you guys can decide what i should do.
Either 1. have it auto capitize the words so that all stops have a uppercase 's' or 2. all cases work, doesn't matter what it is in or even 3. both and you can disable the auto-capitize.

It currently doesn't support many commands, that is why i am looking for people to help me work out what the conversions are.
The current listing http://jonorossi.f2o.org/products/jrstudio...dev/default.asp

Also i have been using the Zilog Macro Assembler for assembling apps; i don't know if you use it or TASM. Please tell me because they are both different.

62_52_53_53
Thanks, it works only with very few commands as listed on the page stated above.

Everyone
Thanks everyone, if you want to help me do the conversions then please tell me; i am not a professional asm programmer and do need help so please can you help even if you cannot do to much.

Thanks, Jono
62 52 53 53
Formerly known as 62 52 53 53

Posted: 12 Jun 2003 08:17:14 am    Post subject:

I meant with all of the commands, but that it works with any at all is a good start. I could try to help, but don't expect me to accomplish much.
jonorossi

Posted: 13 Jun 2003 05:26:19 am    Post subject:

Hello

If everyone only helps a bit then this could work, but i don't expect much from any body because the professional asm coders wouldn't like this type of tool because they have had to learn it the hard way.

If anyone has any commands to contribute then please send them to me.

Also i have been using the Zilog Macro Assembler for assembling apps; i don't know if you use it or TASM. Please tell me because they are both different.

Jono
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 13 Jun 2003 06:20:13 am    Post subject:

its possible 2 assmble them with TASM. it ooutputs them as .hex and then u use winappsign.exe to make them into full apps. the .hex apps can only be tested in the debbugger though. i know this for the ti83+.
jonorossi

Posted: 13 Jun 2003 06:51:07 am    Post subject:

hello

i am aware how to make apps; it is just that i have been making apps and compiling them with ZMASM and not TASM. The two have differences in the asm code so they will not cross compile. That is why i need to know what most people use and want.

Thanks, Jono
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 13 Jun 2003 12:13:43 pm    Post subject:

i use TASM, because it has an easy syntax... it has no Case Sensitive stuff to interfere with anything...
David
The XORcist!

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Jun 2003 03:34:44 pm    Post subject:

It's my impression that there's a majority using TASM as their assembler.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement