This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
Iambian

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 Sep 2006 08:17:33 am    Post subject:

This is an oddly-named ASM utility designed to empower BASIC programs with... well, stuff.

Currently, it reads to and writes from any BASIC program. Reading can be accomplished from RAM or Archive. It creates a new program variable so that you can insert these new lines into it. It performs archive/unarchive of a specified variable on command. It outputs the doublequote and the STO symbol into a string for substring extraction so that you can insert into your BASIC program commands that require the use of the STO symbol (i.e. writing a command to store info to a string).

So far, it's been relatively stable, but I don't want to "release" it just yet. I just feel a little leery about releasing something potentially buggy, so I'd rather want to put it through beta testing prior to release.

The potential of this project is great. Some suggested or possible uses include:

- Writing BASIC programs that contain nothing but string data
- Reading from archive the aforementioned programs.
- Simple archiving/unarchiving of program variables
- Create and edit your own files from a BASIC program
- SMC in BASIC programs (limited. Use at own risk)

Do you think I should add in a few more "features"? If so, what might be useful?
I can think of a few but I'm not sure how useful they'd be.
My thoughts:
- Program deletion. Just thought about it.
- Address saving for quickly reading/writing at the end of large files (though it may slow down reading/writing of small files) if doing so in sequential order. I say this because during testing, replacing lines at the end of a 900 line program was taking too long. I'm sure reading would be no different.
- Retrieve amount of RAM remaining. I was told this was unnecessary.
- Retrieve amount of RAM a certain program variable is using. Ditto above.

Any thoughts of yours?
(Btw, this program currently weighs in at 700-800 bytes. Would this be a problem?)

Last edited by Guest on 28 Sep 2006 08:27:10 am; edited 1 time in total
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Sep 2006 08:52:59 am    Post subject:

that sounds pretty cool, how hard would it be to allow people to write to AppVars as well? Neutral
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 28 Sep 2006 10:27:41 am    Post subject:

sweet. I could use this for Pokemon Purple... This could come in very very handy for status information, change in levels, etc... O_O

Could we get a screenshot of this in action?
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 28 Sep 2006 11:07:34 am    Post subject:

This sounds like an interesting concept. Nice job.
Iambian

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 Sep 2006 01:39:54 pm    Post subject:

The program is available for download at my website. http://iambianet.freewebpage.org

For testing, please make sure that all the features work without memory leaks. Also, I'd like to know how well handling of strings and lines over 255 characters works out. Please be reminded that this program may still have bugs, so be wary.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement