This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Sep 2006 02:11:51 am    Post subject:

Gravlab was a little test program i made in TI-basic, a demo of a falling and bouncing ball. For my senior assignment (or w/e you call that in English), i decided to remake it in ASM/Basic.
In essence, it's now a physically accurate simulation of a ball falling in vacuum. Features i plan to add are multiple objects, friction, realistic collision , shooting the ball (giving it a certain start velocity) and maybe even wind.
I don't plan to use it in a game, it's main purpose is demonstration in physics class, clarifying gravity. Similar programs are already used in physics class, but usually the teacher does the settings and the students only watch. Gravlab II would allow every student to figure it out by themself.

Basic/ASM means that the main menu and user input is written in TI Basic, but the actual graphical simulation (where accuracy and speed are so very much needed) is 100% Assembly without any rom calls in the main loop.

a screenie:

Values here are acceleration of $00,$00,$01 and frameskip of $80.
In human, that means the acceleration is 1/65536th of a pixel, but it only draws one in 128 frames (so it runs at a decent speed). It's kinda jumpy now, but that's because most of the speed is spent on calculating. Higher acceleration is recommended, so you can lower the frameskip for a smoother picture. You lose a bit of accuracy though, but that shouldn't matter because the speed barely goes above 1pixel anyway (the problem with these is that if your speed is too high, objects will fall through each other).

Yeah baby! I'm back, and better than ever. I guess i can't go without my old love UnitedTI Good Idea
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 25 Sep 2006 05:00:03 am    Post subject:

Welcome back.

--AlienCC
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 25 Sep 2006 06:33:07 am    Post subject:

We definately missed you. Welcome back.

I like the idea of gravlab. It sounds like a useful program.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Sep 2006 12:15:05 pm    Post subject:

Hey! Leo's back!

Cool to see new physics documentation getting out.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Sep 2006 04:22:30 pm    Post subject:

Welcome back! My physics teacher would love this so much. She's a very technology person, and also the first teacher I've known to actually write a program on a calculator.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Sep 2006 04:33:52 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
Welcome back! My physics teacher would love this so much. She's a very technology person, and also the first teacher I've known to actually write a program on a calculator.
[post="88968"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

you mean that you've known personally? since thornahawk definitely writes his own programs...
Sage Orator

Advanced Member

Posted: 25 Sep 2006 04:50:32 pm    Post subject:

I saw this over on Maxcoderz, looks very good and useful.

I think that's what he meant. I've had a teacher who used to program a lot, took a class, so he let me program a lot.
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 25 Sep 2006 05:27:16 pm    Post subject:

That would be fun to have physics like that in a game...

BTW, that's a fun thing, both ACC and Leofox came back.
Madskillz

Posted: 25 Sep 2006 05:49:56 pm    Post subject:

sweet leo...you are back and brought me something to look at...Madskillz is very happy!
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Sep 2006 07:35:29 pm    Post subject:

elfprince13 wrote:
DarkerLine wrote:
[post="88968"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

you mean that you've known personally? since thornahawk definitely writes his own programs...
[post="88971"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Thornahawk, to my great regret, does not teach at my school.
todlangweilig

Advanced Member

Posted: 25 Sep 2006 08:07:32 pm    Post subject:

leofox,

If you would like, I have some physics equations that can be used for a shooting ball, wind, and simple air resistance . I was working on a Pocket Tanks/Scorched Earth remake for my CS class but never got around to finishing it. I had my physics teacher help me with the equations, so they should be valid physically.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Sep 2006 08:30:04 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
[post="88971"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Thornahawk, to my great regret, does not teach at my school.
[post="88994"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
thats why I asked if you meant that you'd known personally ;)

this definitely looks like a cool project, nice to some physics-oriented games reaching the TI world

Broken quotes fixed.
–Goose

Last edited by Guest on 25 Sep 2006 09:21:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Sep 2006 05:35:17 am    Post subject:

todlangweilig wrote:
leofox,

If you would like, I have some physics equations that can be used for a shooting ball, wind, and simple air resistance . I was working on a Pocket Tanks/Scorched Earth remake for my CS class but never got around to finishing it. I had my physics teacher help me with the equations, so they should be valid physically.
[post="88996"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
That certainly sounds useful. Can you send me them in a PM?
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Sep 2006 11:44:11 am    Post subject:

leofox wrote:
todlangweilig wrote:
leofox,

[post="88996"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
That certainly sounds useful. Can you send me them in a PM?
[post="89008"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

quote I have something very similar that can handle wind, alterable gravity and different ball trajectories, want it?
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Sep 2006 02:07:05 pm    Post subject:

I can use every help i can get, i haven't really thought about wind.
I'd like to speak to CoBB too, about how he handles collision with static objects. From what i've heard he's done a lot of stuff in Acelgoyobis that is very similar to my project.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Dec 2006 10:13:07 am    Post subject:

It's pretty much finished. It's only 1135 bytes (most of that space is math routines), uses NO romcalls at all (so it should be compatible with whatever shady OS some of you guys might make someday) and is VERY editable. The values like gravitation force and start velocity can be directly edited, and it's neatly sorted in .inc files, determined by function. For example, editing keys.inc to allow jumping and running by putting a speed somewhere should make a very basic platformer. Add a tilemap in draw.inc and a collision detect in stuiter.inc and tadaa!

The downside is that it's currently skipping 40 frames until it draws.. That can be made less by editing the timechange, but it also drops precision that way. So yeah.. that kinda sucks.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Dec 2006 01:17:57 pm    Post subject:

hey, nice work, any chance of an in-game menu to be able to change stuff?
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Dec 2006 01:25:09 pm    Post subject:

I was working on a BASIC utility to change it (because input in ASM is horrible...) but I couldn't finish it (The deadline of the assignment is tomorrow). I might make it anyway.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement