This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
magus57

Posted: 22 Sep 2006 05:21:57 pm    Post subject:

After playing Alien Breed IV, I remembered playing a game called Crimsonland, which is a very similar game. In Crimsonland, you are on a flat map, and all you have to do is kill enemies, and you don't even have to move. The differences between Crimsonland are that in Crimsonland, the only objective is to kill enemies (which can take many shots to be killed), the main character can do full 360-degree turn to shoot, and collects powerups/weapons/ammo by killing enemies, along with experience, which can be turned into new abilities/strengths.

My question is, is it possible for (even a primitive version) to be "ported" to the calculator? I'd like to know if the following would be possible:

-Enemies dissapear automatically after being killed instead of slowly fade away
-No terrain (just plain white screen, not even grayscale)
-All or most weapons/abilities/powerups/etc.
-6 types of enemies (small spiders, large spiders, small skeletons, large skeletons, small zombies, and large zombies), with 3 sub-types based on health as the game progresses in difficulty (with sligtly different sprites to know which is which)
-Character can move 360 degrees based on how long they hold the directional buttons (not just one-button turns), and enemies turn like the character
-Experience system with powerups

Obviously, this would take assembly, and maybe even a TI-89 instead of a TI-83/84 as I was thinking originally. So is this possible? Because the original game is really fun and it would be great to have on a calculator. However, I have about no knowledge about programming.
Sage Orator

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 Sep 2006 05:32:06 pm    Post subject:

There is absolutly no reason it would take assembly. Not having terrian is a huge advantage. Same with not having to move. Do enemies move though? It actually wouldn't be too difficult to make without terrain except for holding buttons down, but that could be simulated well enough. Just shooting, enemies, turning, and enemy location are the thinks to focus on. Assembly would just make things quicker, smoother, and better looking.

Last edited by Guest on 22 Sep 2006 05:33:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vinthian
formerly known as shortround4271

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 Sep 2006 05:46:22 pm    Post subject:

I think the only reason why people use asm is because it makes the game look better and run faster. If you have a solid gameplay, it'll be a good game. Fading effects and grayscale is eye candy, but it won't hurt if you didn't have some.
magus57

Posted: 22 Sep 2006 05:54:44 pm    Post subject:

The enemies and the character both move, and the enemies respawn a certain number of times each level.

If you want more info on the game, just download the demo, because even the demo is fun to play.

And the reason I want it in asm is so that the character/enemy movement is smoother.

Last edited by Guest on 22 Sep 2006 05:55:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
skier

Posted: 22 Sep 2006 05:55:49 pm    Post subject:

Ive played cimsonland! Great game. No disrespect to sage orater, but i think this game would be much better off in assembly. Basic just wont be fast enough... i dont know about 89 basic though.

Its going to be a pretty tough game to make. It'll be hard to make the character spin 360 degrees, maybe just do 16 or 32 directional movement.

It would be really cool if it were ported to the calcs
Sage Orator

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 Sep 2006 06:09:56 pm    Post subject:

I've never played it so you guys have a better idea of it. It would be tougher if the character has to move. Go ahead and use assembly if you want to.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Sep 2006 06:22:57 pm    Post subject:

The only problem in Basic would be if the screen had to scroll. This is nearly impossible in 83+/84+ Basic without libraries. (possible very slowly, or on the home screen, or when there are few objects on screen)
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 23 Sep 2006 09:01:08 am    Post subject:

wait, this isn't a pseudo fps where all you can do is spin around like a turret right?

we're talking 2D with some kind of turret in the center?
magus57

Posted: 23 Sep 2006 09:52:37 am    Post subject:

No, this game is a birds-eye third-person shooter. The character does move like a turret, but can also move in any direction (in order to evade enemies or get weapons for example).

As for the screen, I was thinking of making it 9x the size of the TI screen, making it a real-time scrolling map. When I say 9x, I mean a 3 screens side-by-side for length and width to makes the map, with the enemies respawning randomly at the edges for a set number of times.

I made some 8x8 sprites, and here is what they are:
Small spider 1
[attachment=997:attachment]
Small spider 2
[attachment=998:attachment]
Large spider 1
[attachment=999:attachment]
Large spider 2
[attachment=1000:attachment]
Small skeleton 1
[attachment=1001:attachment]
Small skeleton 2
[attachment=1002:attachment]
Large skeleton 1
[attachment=1003:attachment]
Large skeleton 2
[attachment=1004:attachment]
Small zombie 1
[attachment=1005:attachment]
Small zombie 2
[attachment=1006:attachment]
Large zombie 1
[attachment=1007:attachment]
Large zombie 2
[attachment=1008:attachment]
Main Character
[attachment=1009:attachment]

So is there anybody who would like to help in this? This game could technically be based off Alien Breed IV (or II), with the differences being in the weapons/upgrade/experience, the map, the movement, and the enemies.

Last edited by Guest on 23 Sep 2006 09:53:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Sep 2006 03:02:43 pm    Post subject:

I have a hunch that people will get lazier after the first download, so I converted
all of them to PNG and zoomed in 200% just to make sure that people will see it.

Small spider

Large spider

Small skeleton

Large skeleton

Small zombie

Large zombie

Main Character
Sage Orator

Advanced Member

Posted: 23 Sep 2006 04:03:00 pm    Post subject:

The small ones look wierd, what size are they?
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 23 Sep 2006 04:18:13 pm    Post subject:

the small ones are like 1 pixel smaller than the big ones, so it isn't easy to see the difference fast like in an ASM game, but in Basic, we will have plenty of time to look at them.
magus57

Posted: 25 Sep 2006 04:32:57 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the help with the pics, I couldn't figure out how to do that picture thing. The only way in the real game to tell the difference between enemies (except for physical appearance) was color and size. Since I obviously can't add color, I had to use size (and some black-white differences) to create them. Even then, I can't make the size difference too small or else the small enemies won't be recognizeable.

Guessing that a 360-degree motion would be hard to do, is there any possibility of at least 8-position motion (for both the enemies and the character)? If it's in 4-position, then it'll pretty much be another Alien Breed game. And when I mean 8-position motion, I mean the four regular directions + diagonal directions (when two directions, such as up and left, are held together).

And one last question: is there any chance of being able to use a USB mouse? There's a driver for it, but I have no idea on how (or if) it could be implemented into a game. Then it would be easier to play.
skier

Posted: 25 Sep 2006 09:31:57 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Guessing that a 360-degree motion would be hard to do, is there any possibility of at least 8-position motion (for both the enemies and the character)? If it's in 4-position, then it'll pretty much be another Alien Breed game. And when I mean 8-position motion, I mean the four regular directions + diagonal directions (when two directions, such as up and left, are held together).

Its definetly possible to get 8 way movement. Ill bet its possible to get 16 or higher. Ive never tried but i bet you could get it. Youd have to do it so that each time you click left or right your character is notched a little to the left or right, and when you pressed up he would go in whichever direction he was facing.
threefingeredguy

Advanced Member

Posted: 26 Sep 2006 03:00:32 am    Post subject:

My basic snake game had 16 directions. It's pretty easy to do.
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 26 Sep 2006 02:30:02 pm    Post subject:

I beleive you would just use sin( and cos( for that many directions.
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 26 Sep 2006 02:59:33 pm    Post subject:

Super Speler wrote:
I beleive you would just use sin( and cos( for that many directions.
[post="89023"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's massively slow though. You'd be better off with predefined tables or lists for 8 or 16 directions.
magus57

Posted: 26 Sep 2006 06:52:20 pm    Post subject:

But what about the USB mouse idea? If you had the cable for it (like I do) along with a USB mouse?
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 26 Sep 2006 07:07:49 pm    Post subject:

That could probably not be handled by a Basic Program, and even if so, it would just make the game very, way too much, slow.
magus57

Posted: 26 Sep 2006 07:27:39 pm    Post subject:

What about assembly? Or flash?
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement