This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 15 Sep 2006 04:02:11 pm    Post subject:

Over the next few months I intend to start learning a new computer language but am not sure of exactly which one I would like to do. Firstly, I will be doing all my coding on a Intel based Mac which has obvious implications. Secondly, I will most likely be using the language to make simple, as well as complex eventually, applications, not necicarilly for making games. I would prefer if the language ran on Linix, Windows and Mac. I'm already learning JAVA in a class at school by the way, this is something I plan to work on at the same time.

Advice?

Thanks!
sgm

Calc Guru

Posted: 15 Sep 2006 04:54:17 pm    Post subject:

Python and/or Perl.
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 15 Sep 2006 05:10:37 pm    Post subject:

One of my freinds was talking to me about python, I'm going to look it up on wikipedia.
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Sep 2006 05:27:08 pm    Post subject:

I highly recommend FORTRAN.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Sep 2006 07:22:16 pm    Post subject:

sigma wrote:
Python and/or Perl.
[post="88322"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

x2
threefingeredguy

Advanced Member

Posted: 16 Sep 2006 01:24:13 am    Post subject:

C
CoBB

Posted: 16 Sep 2006 03:12:20 am    Post subject:

What languages do you know already?
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 16 Sep 2006 09:18:22 am    Post subject:

I know a fair ammount of each, C++, CSS, HTML, and enough JAVA for 'Hello World'. ThreeFingeredGuy, I didn't think C could run on a mac.
Tiberious726

Advanced Member

Posted: 16 Sep 2006 11:36:31 am    Post subject:

Super Speler wrote:
I didn't think C could run on a mac.
[post="88359"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

it most certaintly can

one of the reasons behind C's success is that it is portable, "portable asm" is what it is sometimes referred to.

Last edited by Guest on 16 Sep 2006 11:36:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 16 Sep 2006 01:02:24 pm    Post subject:

Do you want to make 3D games in the future, or just 2D type games?

AFAIK, C/C++ combined with opengl/directX seems to be the "best" for making 3D games.

I duno, can someone check on that?

edit: if 2D, I believe there are SDL and allegro bindings for Python and even Java.

Last edited by Guest on 16 Sep 2006 01:02:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 16 Sep 2006 04:45:45 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Secondly, I will most likely be using the language to make simple, as well as complex eventually, applications, not necicarilly for making games.

I'm thinking either C or Python. I already know a fair ammount of C++ and have with this knoledge helped freinds debug C programs so I'm slightly leaning in favor of this. I've read up now on each of these with wikipedia and google, but lets hear your oppinion on these two.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 16 Sep 2006 06:14:14 pm    Post subject:

oops, sorry I didn't see that.

OOP is supposedly the wave of the future, so I'd go with that. But C has portability so you could probably program lots of different things besides comps. I'm just a bit biased because I like TIGCC a lot ^^.

The main issue that I think you're talking about with being able to run on Windows, Macs, and Linux is recompiling. With C and C++, you have to recompile (I don't think you need to make major edits to code, but I get the feeling I'm very wrong) for every OS/architecture you want the program to be available on.

Java is JIT compiled now iirc. Just In Time compilation basically means that you compiler will output bytecodes, which are instructions for an interpreter's virtual machine, but the interpreter will also translate it into native machine code as it's running the first time. Afterwards, you won't feel as much of the speed effects as you would with purely interpretted languages. But that's what I think I know. Another JIT compiled language is C#, but that's a window's proprietory language and I don't think it works on other platforms.

Python I know very little about. I heard that as far as OOP goes, people who don't like Java might prefer Python, and vice versa.

Over all, as far as I can tell, there will never be a ONE language that will allow you to get a programming job anywhere. It seems like you need to know everything know and you need to constantly keep up with new ideas, or brew them yourself.
sgm

Calc Guru

Posted: 16 Sep 2006 07:28:18 pm    Post subject:

Liazon wrote:
OOP is supposedly the wave of the future

It was the wave of the future in the 1960s.

Super Speler wrote:
I've read up now on each of these with wikipedia and google, but lets hear your oppinion on these two.

http://www.catb.org/esr/writings/taoup/html/ch14s04.html

Last edited by Guest on 16 Sep 2006 07:32:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
threefingeredguy

Advanced Member

Posted: 17 Sep 2006 01:30:41 am    Post subject:

Super Speler wrote:
ThreeFingeredGuy, I didn't think C could run on a mac.
[post="88359"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Are you kidding?
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Sep 2006 02:14:17 am    Post subject:

threefingeredguy wrote:
Are you kidding?
No, I don't think he was.

I had a much longer reply, but I think you can determine what it might have said.

Last edited by Guest on 17 Sep 2006 02:15:26 am; edited 1 time in total
CoBB

Posted: 17 Sep 2006 02:48:46 am    Post subject:

Super Speler wrote:
I know a fair ammount of each, C++, CSS, HTML, and enough JAVA for 'Hello World'.  ThreeFingeredGuy, I didn't think C could run on a mac.

How can you know a 'fair amount' of C++ if you can't program in C?
:confused: You should definitely have a firm grip on both of these, they are generally useful langauges. As for others, it depends on the kind of applications you want to create. When it comes to fancy managed langauges, C# is better than Java in my opinion. Python or even Ruby might be interesting too, but I'd definitely avoid Perl. Razz
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 17 Sep 2006 11:45:25 am    Post subject:

A few of my posts may be unclear. Firstly by 'fair ammount', I meant not alot but enough to make decent programs, of the languages listed, I have not programmed in C++ for around a year and I'm not really sure how I would be at it now. The reason I thought C was not codable on Mac's was due to a conversation I was reading a while ago on a different forum. I guess I mixed up the languages they were talking about. Anyway, I am currently looking in the direction of Python or C like I said. I suppose the question would be, which is more useful.
CoBB

Posted: 17 Sep 2006 12:20:37 pm    Post subject:

They have completely different niches. I don't think you can say one is more useful than the other.
Tiberious726

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Sep 2006 04:34:18 pm    Post subject:

Liazon wrote:
Another JIT compiled language is C#, but that's a window's proprietory language and I don't think it works on other platforms.
[post="88394"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

in my opinion you dont want waste your time learning C#; but it does work on *nix macheinces through mono (tho the support isnt perfect yet)
benryves

Posted: 20 Sep 2006 04:44:38 am    Post subject:

Liazon wrote:
Another JIT compiled language is C#, but that's a window's proprietory language and I don't think it works on other platforms.
[post="88394"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Nope. The CLI (Common Language Infrastructure) and the C# language specifications are open standards.

See C# Language - ECMA-334 and CLI - ECMA-335.

The CLR (Common Language Runtime, the virtual machine component of ".NET") is Microsoft's own implementation of the CLI. Novell support the Mono project as a solution for non-Windows operating systems. Just because Microsoft drew up the specs and wrote their own tools and runtimes doesn't mean nobody else can. :)

If you're running on a Mac, though, you wouldn't get Visual Studio, which is at least half of the reason to write in C#. ;)

I'm not sure why you feel the urge to stick to a particular language. If you really can't decide, try and learn all of them. It's all useful!
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement