This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Modifications => Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics
NextPerception

Posted: 12 Sep 2003 08:03:51 pm    Post subject:

many times I have found myself in a situation where I can not see the screen of my TI Calculator. I did not want to open my calculator up because It is epoxied shut from when I added the 3.5mm linkport and painted over. So I thought of another solution. Using a homeade rechargable battery pack, a resistor or two and 3 or 4 leds I could make a fairly small external calculator light. I am going to build it this weekend and see how useful it will be.
IntrnalDsK

Posted: 12 Sep 2003 08:50:01 pm    Post subject:

This would most likely also be detachable? I would like to see a picture or something when it is done.
NextPerception

Posted: 12 Sep 2003 09:37:01 pm    Post subject:

yeah I am going to make it datatchable.
may make it as simple as a clothes pin thing
62 52 53 53
Formerly known as 62 52 53 53

Posted: 13 Sep 2003 10:39:07 am    Post subject:

I personally want a teacher calc with an extra normal screen. It would help with teaching people to do stuff on the calc, since I don't own, have room for, or have use for, an overhead.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 13 Sep 2003 02:07:17 pm    Post subject:

yah, a light would be good.

i plan to put a 3.5mm port in so i might just CAREFULLY backlight it with an on/off switch
Flash
Umpa Loompa

Posted: 13 Sep 2003 09:55:51 pm    Post subject:

i often find myself sqinting at the claculator trying to make out symbols in the dark only to get dizzy and give up. a light would be most helpful

Wacko Wacko Wacko
flash is useless in the dark
Wacko Wacko Wacko
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 15 Sep 2003 01:01:34 pm    Post subject:

np, can you give me some pic of the calc's insides? i'd like to plan this out b4 i open it up!
NextPerception

Posted: 15 Sep 2003 07:32:07 pm    Post subject:

the pictures for the inside of the calculator are on this spanish page and i dont feel like opening the calc right now cause it would ruin my paint job Razz
here is the link to the spanish page
Spanish Page

next are the pictures of the unstylish version 1 on the calc light (no clip thing in this version)
this is just a temporary fix untill i can get the version two done. I don't wan't to have a set date on that yet as I always end up waiting till the last minute to do things on set due dates.
click the links to view
top View
side View
Bottom View
Front View

Just some advise. if you are ever planning on overclocking your calculator atleast leave the old capacitor and have a switch that lets you switch between overclock and normal. this is because overclocking uses your batteries about 1.5 times as fast and it screws up games.
TheJester

Posted: 20 Sep 2003 12:19:20 pm    Post subject:

When doing that, you have to use a lesser number capacitor to equal the correct one, because the one that is still in there, remember that before you try it, and mess up your calc.
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 20 Sep 2003 12:47:20 pm    Post subject:

so, that just straps on the back? hehe looks pretty funny... wouldnt it break in your pocket or anywhere for that matter?
NextPerception

Posted: 20 Sep 2003 01:10:09 pm    Post subject:

yeah it's big now but that will change in the next version.
mabye I will use rechargeable watch batteries or something for the next one.
make it a whole lot smaller and mor durable.
mabye add 1 more led too.
Babyboy

Advanced Member

Posted: 06 Oct 2003 02:25:07 pm    Post subject:

doesn't the link port have some electricity flowint thru it that you could use for a light (gameboy worm light like)
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Oct 2003 04:25:50 pm    Post subject:

haha, could make a flashing light that gives people seizures when they delete your program.
IntrnalDsK

Posted: 07 Oct 2003 05:46:28 pm    Post subject:

You could use AAA and make it much thinner
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 07 Oct 2003 10:07:52 pm    Post subject:

Babyboy wrote:
doesn't the link port have some electricity flowint thru it that you could use for a light (gameboy worm light like)

yes it does. I've done the tongue test with it, and it does have electricity flowing through it, which can be used for a light.(WARNING: don't preform the tongue test! IT F*CKING HURTS!)

Last edited by Guest on 07 Oct 2003 10:08:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
NextPerception

Posted: 08 Oct 2003 03:54:11 pm    Post subject:

I would rather use rechargable button cells because if you used the power from link port.
1. It would drain your calculator's batteries faster(not much but most likely noticably)
2. It would most probably lock up your calculator when not in a game like the less sophisticated calculator speakers do.

I guess I should start the next version of the calclight now.
JesusFreak
JesusFreak

Posted: 08 Oct 2003 05:06:27 pm    Post subject:

i like the idea of the led lights

but don't they have those led strips (like a whole bunch of led lights in a long line, but all in one piece.) and then you could put them on the sides.???
NextPerception

Posted: 22 Oct 2003 04:09:50 pm    Post subject:

WOW I should go and order some led strips right now!
unfortunatly I am totally broke right now and am going to have to wait till I have money again. I didn't ever think of LED strips.

Now on a seperate note What color should I use?
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 Oct 2003 04:42:48 pm    Post subject:

I think red is the most energy efficient, but any color would look cool in my opinion.

Spyderbyte
NextPerception

Posted: 23 Oct 2003 03:50:52 pm    Post subject:

but I don't think would look good on the green screen background. I was thinking more along the lines of white, yellow, or blue
I think some blue ultra bright leds would do the trick
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement