This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 10 Oct 2006 09:00:00 pm    Post subject:

skier wrote:
It would be cool to have it pure ASM... I could help a little although i too am still learning. I couldnt be a main coder.
[post="88042"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Actually, I just decided that it would be cool to make it all ASM, so I started learning ASM again, this time when I looked at code (b/c I don't like learning from tutorials) it really started making sense (I bet my AP Computer Science course is helping with that) and I feel up to the fun challange. If this makes some people who wanted to help unable to b/c they don't know ASM, don't worry too much, you can help with ideas and testing and rejoice that you don't have to do the hard work coding.

This project seems to be moving along at a slow pace, but it is advancing, I plan on not letting this project ever die unless I lose all interest in calculators. It may appear to be moving slowly and I may not really update it for over a month, but don't worry.

Also, I need a name for the project, if anyone has any creative names that would be helpful.
Sage Orator

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Oct 2006 05:37:06 am    Post subject:

Huh, okay. Let us know if you decide to truly go through with the asm version.

Last edited by Guest on 12 Oct 2006 05:37:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Cure

Posted: 12 Oct 2006 05:55:13 am    Post subject:

I think the story line is too generic. Neutral
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 12 Oct 2006 07:12:07 am    Post subject:

I don't want to have too rigid of a storyline b/c I want to make a lot of the game up to the user to decide what to do. So you don't have to do all the quests and you can make friends with either the north or the south, and the game should be able to be replayed b/c its not linear and completely structured.
I agree that it shouldn't be too generic either or else it doesn't have too much of a point and it seems you are just randomly doing stuff. If you have any suggestions for what to make specificer please say them.
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 14 Oct 2006 12:17:16 pm    Post subject:

Ok, I have decided to do it in ASM. I'm sorry if this leaves any of you out who wanted to code. This means it might take a bit longer to complete, but I don't care too much as long as the game is good. Please don't start any Basic vs. Asm flames for my decision.

Also, I was thinking about the story line and it is really lacking stuff so I have three suggestions. One is to change the project to a remake of Dragon Warrior. There is already one done for the 86 so we could "port" that one, I have a lot of info about Dragon Warrior and would only need help finding out what every NPC says. I have all enemy stats except for the final boss, so it shouldn't be too difficult. The only problem being that I'm not sure exactly how great of a game it is.
Another suggestion would be to change the theme of the game to a modern time period where you are a Senior at a local high school (my own) and you have to protect the school from being overrun by the mice. (It could be interesting and certainly be more original than medieval time period stuff).
The final thing we could do, would be to change the story we are using and keep it similar to what we have planned so far. The thing I would change though is make it so that you are really an orphan and your "dad", the lord that adopted you, dispenses you with some money after he is certain that his kid can carry on his name (he took you in b/c he didn't have any kids at the time), then you go out into the world to prove yourself but you don't have any vassals (this gets rid of a lot of difficulties). I didn't like the idea of planning and making the round based battle system for 11 characters for each person anyways. With the new story line there would be a timer that changes between night and day and you have to sleep some time, but could be attacked in the night if you aren't staying somewhere and eventually you build a house and blah blah blah. I don't know how to do a battle system with this though. I don't want to have a turn based system and I don't want a round based with only one character. I would want the enemies on the screen and if they hit you, you would go into a small screen where you fight the enemies in real time with a sword and spear, but I couldn't code this right now, I don't know enough ASM.
So please post which idea you like best and I guess we will choose which path to go down and then we can continue coding.
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 14 Oct 2006 12:54:48 pm    Post subject:

I think the last idea is better because:

#1. Remaking a unknown calc game (for another calc) isn't really the best idea (IMO)
#2. Having it become a modern period would be like having guns and no swords (or maybe only for some berserk fun). It would be nice, all depending on how it works
#3. This would be a storyline like in Morrowind/Oblivion, and they are nice so why not (as long as they ar not carbon-copies of them)

Also, making it in ASM, if it's only 1 vs 1 with AI (probably up to 5 vs 5 maximum to get a decent speed with decent graphics), then it is possible to make it Real-time and no menus or turn-based (like a fight menu and a spell and you know). If you want help with your code, I can try.
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 14 Oct 2006 02:17:37 pm    Post subject:

#1. No go, I looked at the code and realized that I would have a hard time porting from the 86 to the 83, the 86 has so much extra memory and stuff that I would have to rewrite the majority of everything so I may as well come up with my own game idea.
#2. It wouldn't have guns and no swords, it would probably have items like mouse traps, baseball bats, cattle prods, extermination bombs and so forth. It would be totally off the wall and loony.
#3. I've never heard of those games before so I don't think I'll have the problem of copying them. I like this idea the best so far, b/c I just do.
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 14 Oct 2006 02:21:03 pm    Post subject:

The starting project was a medieval-like story, but I just don't understand the mouse trap, baseball bat. Is it like a Worms? Or is main character a mouse?

Last edited by Guest on 14 Oct 2006 02:24:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 14 Oct 2006 02:24:11 pm    Post subject:

It would be a messed up RPG where you are a senior at my high school and the school is being overrun by rats (a true story), but these rats wouldn't be normal they would be ROUSes (princess bride). To save the school you would defeat the rats with baseball bats and cattle prods w/o letting the girls find the rats or else mass hysteria would break loose. Then again, why would I want to write a game that promotes saving school. Shouldn't it be, try to bring rats into the school in order to close the school.
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 15 Oct 2006 07:46:13 am    Post subject:

*Very* different of medieval project starting...

Why not, as long as the story is interesting
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 5 of 5 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement