This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
Noob88

Posted: 29 Nov 2006 06:45:06 pm    Post subject:

I'm pretty sure there's a way to loop animations to work constantly regardless of character position in BASIC, I think I've seen it before in a few games... I could be wrong though. Personally, I like animations, they kind of give life to the game.

Last edited by Guest on 29 Nov 2006 08:31:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
vuurrobin

Advanced Member

Posted: 30 Nov 2006 11:58:39 am    Post subject:

I like animations to, people standing on one place the entire game is weard.
but the flikkering fire is fast if you are standing still, but way to slow when you are walking. and I dont know if it is the memory worth.

I checked your program and it is pretty good (although a lot can be optimised) but your hit detection is to differend to be usefull to me. thanks anyway.

I also got the error undefined myself when I tried to open the menu. I forgot to put some of the programs in the archive. and when I did put it in the archive it worked. so if you get an error, make sure you have every file and in the right memory. also archive (or delete) anything not related to the game.

these need to be in your RAM

• RESOURSE
  • RPGDEMO
  • VRDC

and these need to be in your archive/ROM

• VRDF
  • VRDH
  • VRDM
  • VRDT
  • VRDW
Noob88

Posted: 01 Dec 2006 09:14:39 pm    Post subject:

Yeah that may have been my problem, I had everything in RAM at one point, since nothing else is in my RAM. Anyways, do you plan to continue this or is it a dropped topic? If you plan to continue, I believe your next order of business would be to create some sort of battle sequence for leveling up. Do you plan to have this incorporate graphics, or is it just going to be text displaying how much damage you did, enemy did, exp gained, etc.?
myfavcolorchanges

Posted: 02 Dec 2006 10:39:27 am    Post subject:

I might be a little late, but I realized my mistake, (I think), I thought that it was using flash gordon, but really It was just running in regular basic, so That probobly caused the problem.
Noob88

Posted: 02 Dec 2006 04:46:40 pm    Post subject:

I was curious... How fast do you think you would be able to create a side scrolling map in Basic? What I mean is, have something along these lines:

XooooooooooooooX
XooooooooooooooX
XooooooooooooooX
XooooooooooooooX
XooooooooooooooX
XooooooooooooooX
XooooooooooooooX
XooooooooooooooX

This is just an example map setup for the screen. But if you put a puzzle in it using the arrows such as you did in the first map of the RPG, you could make it 32x24. This would consist of 6 maps, 3 rows and 2 columns. This whole thing would be one room which you could make into some sort of giant puzzle or something.

For it to work however, you would have 2 choices:

1) Once the theta gets to the end of the screen, space 17 X or space 9 (or 0) Y, show the next row of data up, or across, so that you can see the previous ones of that map. For Example: After moving onto space 17, you would see this:

ooooooooooooooXY
ooooooooooooooXY
ooooooooooooooXY
ooooooooooooooXY
ooooooooooooooXY
ooooooooooooooXY
ooooooooooooooXY
ooooooooooooooXY

Notice how the first "X" that was there previously is gone, but you can still see all the o's and one extra column onto the next map

2) The second choice would be that once the theta reaches the end of the screen and moves onto space 17 X or 9 (or 0) Y, you switch maps entirely. It would then show a new 16x8 grid that was not in the previous map. For example: This would be the first screen which starts off the room:

XooooooooooooooX
XooooooooooooooX
XooooooooooooooX
XooooooooooooooX
XooooooooooooooX
XooooooooooooooX
XooooooooooooooX
XooooooooooooooX

Now after moving onto space 17, 9, or 0, you would see this:

YxoooxxooxxoooxY
YxoooxxooxxoooxY
YxoooxxooxxoooxY
YxoooxxooxxoooxY
YxoooxxooxxoooxY
YxoooxxooxxoooxY
YxoooxxooxxoooxY
YxoooxxooxxoooxY
YxoooxxooxxoooxY

Notice that this is a completely new tileset, a new map if you will, but a continuation of the puzzle. Here is a slightly more accurate diagram of what I'm talking about...

[A][B]
[C][D]
[E][F]

Each matrix stands for a map of 16x8 squares. [E] contains the entrance to the puzzle, and [B] holds the exit. You must make it through a series of arrows which lead you there, which provides only one way to get out. I thought this might be an interesting idea for you to try out in your RPG.
vuurrobin

Advanced Member

Posted: 02 Dec 2006 08:01:11 pm    Post subject:

Noob88 wrote:
do you plan to continue this or is it a dropped topic?[post="91829"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

dont worry, I am planning to continu.

Quote:
If you plan to continue, I believe your next order of business would be to create some sort of battle sequence for leveling up. Do you plan to have this incorporate graphics, or is it just going to be text displaying how much damage you did, enemy did, exp gained, etc.?

I am planning to add pictures of the monsters (dont expect much tho, I am not good/bad at making pictures) and the stuff I had in the first version (the one in my first post). I might post a screenshot of it soon.

myfavcolorchanges wrote:
I might be a little late, but I realized my mistake, (I think), I thought that it was using flash gordon, but really It was just running in regular basic, so That probobly caused the problem.
[post="91839"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

the version in my first post uses flash gordon, the teck demo uses resource.

Noob88 wrote:
I was curious... How fast do you think you would be able to create a side scrolling map in Basic? [...][post="91855"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I like the idea, but I dont think the first choice will work (unless i chanced the entire way of storing maps) but the second choice should be doable (but I dont know if it will work with the walking npc and the fire). I'll see if I can get it to work. and thanks for the idea

a question: what kind of attacking magic should I include, right now I have magic that deals damage, mmagic that inflicts a status condition (like poison) and non attacking magic.

edit: I just found out that I'm in the news section of omnimaga Laughing

Last edited by Guest on 02 Dec 2006 08:07:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Noob88

Posted: 03 Dec 2006 03:02:50 pm    Post subject:

Well the generic RPG is somewhat along these lines...

Magic:
Damage inflicting (thunder, blizzard, fire, earthquake, etc.)
Condition inflicting (upon enemy)
Condition inflicting (upon self i.e. heal, strength boost, etc.)
Miscellaneous (i.e. teleport [to other rooms] move things, etc.)

Weapons:
Short sword
Long sword
Battle Staff
Mace
Battle axe
Two handed sword
Bow and arrows (Of different levels, weak to strong)

Armor:
Defensive robes
Chainmail
Helmet
Platelegs
Shields
{Each thing under the armor category tends to have different classifications, for example there would be a beginner shield giving +1 defense, then a slightly better giving +2, and so on}

Also, I think there should be a new item added to the in game menu, EQUIP, or INVENTORY. This is where you can see what you have gotten and may equip different armor, different weapons, arrows, etc.

[EDIT] Sorry I did not see the Items topic under your menu.

Last edited by Guest on 03 Dec 2006 03:08:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
vuurrobin

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Dec 2006 12:31:59 pm    Post subject:

sorry about the lack of updates, I have been busy.

thanks for the list Noob88, I think (and hope) that I have all the fight options(I stil need pictures for the monsters, but I'm bad at making those. does anybody have any tips or something).

unfortunally, I had to cut the moving npc out Sad . it didn't/dousn't work with some ideas I have, the code became a bit confusing and it became to slow with a lot of maps. the plus side is that walking and map loading is faster, takes less bytes and some of the ideas i have will work.

the arrow puzzle can go trough multiple rooms, and so does the ice sliding Smile .
but I dont know what to do with te boulders/rocks/blocks. I think that moving them out of the room or pushing them in a hole isn't an option because it would be to slow and memory consuming. I was thinking of a switch where you would have to push te boulder/rock/block on. what do you think.

I am also looking for a token for water. I was thinking of ^ but I also saw somewhere (don't know where(edit, pokemon purple)) a combination of < and > which also looks good. what do you think.

edit:

how would you learn magic? I dont want to do by level, becouse you would have al the spells at the end. I was thinking of a magic book to keep some spells(like 10 or so), and you could get them by doing stuff. and once your spellbook is full, you would have to delete some spells to get others. this way, you would have to use some strategy deciding which spell to take with you. what do you think.

I have to go, my mum wants to check her mail. :hmpf:

edit2:

I have also been thinking about the cooking system. I think I'll expand it something like baten kaitos for the gamecube. you would have 3 bottles where you can put items in and in some place you can combine them into something else. so to cook a fish you would have to combine a fish and fire. and combining say, a seed and water you would get a flower. and combinging that flower with fire you could get ashes. this way you could have a lot of combo's. you could use the items for healing, combining or for certain quests (like getting magic). what do you think.

I am also working on a 2nd teck demo to show the arrow and ice puzzle going trough multiple rooms and to show some other stuff.

thanks in advance.

Last edited by Guest on 15 Dec 2006 06:17:18 am; edited 1 time in total
vuurrobin

Advanced Member

Posted: 21 Dec 2006 10:08:40 am    Post subject:

can somebody please give me some input? I really need some.
Noob88

Posted: 21 Dec 2006 11:18:56 am    Post subject:

Alright let's see here...

1) I'm not too great at sprite making, or anything involving the graph screen for that matter, all the pixels are too much to think about Neutral

2) The animations, such as the fire, do not work very well at all so yes, I would suggest removing anything animated because when you move, it doesn't look the same way as when standing still.

3) I'm looking forward to seeing the map scrolling Smile But I think you should include this into your original demo. Keep it the same programs except just add on. At the very end of the third map of your original demo, where the character is that marks the end saying "End of Teck Demo," take him out and replace it with an empty square where you can move on to the next rooms.

4) For the water, I've always preferred the / key. ^ Doesn't look all that bad either, but I still think / triumphs :biggrin:

5) Magic... I am not a big fan of magic, so I don't really know what to tell you here. There's always the basic elemental spells to use, but that's really all I can say. As for learning magic, I think it should be done by levels. But, to make your game moderately difficult, make it so that a lot of training will have to be done in order to beat the last 'boss' of your game. Say the best magic spell is learned at level 50 magic. But, if you just zip through the game without training spells, you will only get to lvl 25, maybe 30 magic.

6) Cooking... I don't have much input here. However, there was an old game I used to play, where there was an interesting cooking system for many things. Maybe you can look at that and get some ideas.

Looking forward to your next release Very Happy
If there's anything else you need help with, I'd be glad to give my input.
vuurrobin

Advanced Member

Posted: 21 Dec 2006 06:42:44 pm    Post subject:

thanks Laughing

1) I'll just try it and see what comes out.

2) I also noticed the fire, thats one of the reasons why I took it out.

3) well it's not exactly scrolling, when you reach the end of the screen, it just displays the next room. and since I had to get the animation out, I already started on a new demo Neutral . and I'm looking if I can get switches for the blocks to push on.

4) I am already using / for ice, but I can always use \ for water. I'll think about it.

5) the problem with learning magic by level is that you need to grind alot to get that exp, if you only fight with the sword you would also learn the magic and once you reach level 50, you would have all the magic. with a spellbook you would actualy have to think which spell to take with you, thus adding some strategy to the game.

6) I'll look into it.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Dec 2006 06:49:48 pm    Post subject:

For animations, stick all the frames (up to 12) in the same line of your sprite pic. Then when the animations appears, store {2,3,4,5,6,7....1} into L1. It should start at 2, then go to the total number of frames, then end with 1. Store the number of frames to a variable--like A. Then do this:
Code:
:L1(A->A
:[draw sprite at your location, with Ans as your sprite X]
Using the list will "scroll" A thru the frames of the animation, and set it back to the first frame when it reaches the last one.
vuurrobin

Advanced Member

Posted: 21 Dec 2006 07:01:34 pm    Post subject:

but that doesn't work if you have to walk at the same time.
Noob88

Posted: 23 Dec 2006 08:27:16 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, there's not really anyway to make the animations work while you move, but they would be nice for a part where there is just a text box or something along those lines :D

I still think you should just add onto the first demo Dry

Last edited by Guest on 23 Dec 2006 08:40:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 24 Dec 2006 01:11:40 am    Post subject:

you could add a spell-memorization magic system. This means that the character can learn any number of spells, but needs to "memorize" spells before use. The memorization slots are limited, but more and more are available as you level up.

The spells are also categorized by type and level. Stronger spells are of higher levels. The character can learn spells of higher levels even if he cannot cast those spells, but he needs to be able to memorize the spells to cast them.

The number of memorization slots also differ from each other based on spell level (ie if the chararcter can memorize 10 level 1 spells, that does not mean he can memorize 10 level 6 spells).

The idea came from the magic system from basically all games from Interplay, like Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale 2, etc.

So... what do you think?
Noob88

Posted: 05 Jan 2007 11:17:40 am    Post subject:

@vuurrobin; has any progress been made including a second demo or an addition to the first one?
vuurrobin

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Jan 2007 04:55:23 pm    Post subject:

sorry for the lack of updates, I tend to get lazy in vacations (and having the nintedo wii doesn't help).
I decided to add the first teck demo to the one I am working now and I will have it done in a few days (hopefully tomorrow).

Delnar_Ersike wrote:
you could add a spell-memorization magic system. This means that the character can learn any number of spells, but needs to "memorize" spells before use. The memorization slots are limited, but more and more are available as you level up.

The spells are also categorized by type and level. Stronger spells are of higher levels. The character can learn spells of higher levels even if he cannot cast those spells, but he needs to be able to memorize the spells to cast them.

The number of memorization slots also differ from each other based on spell level (ie if the chararcter can memorize 10 level 1 spells, that does not mean he can memorize 10 level 6 spells).

The idea came from the magic system from basically all games from Interplay, like Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale 2, etc.

So... what do you think?
[post="93437"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

it is a good magic system but I don't know if it is possible in basic and I don't think I have enough spells for that.
vuurrobin

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Jan 2007 03:07:04 pm    Post subject:

*bump*

the new teck demo is ready.
the new demo contains a new area, inproved and new puzzles, an animated ascii cutscene and more.
and I have an animated screenshot of the first part.
note: the screenshot may contain spoilers (puzzle ansers)

and here is the teck demo

[attachment=1199:attachment]

send ram to ram and archive to archive and run prgmRPGDEMO
map, items and magic doesn't work yet.
when the stars move across the screen, you are suposed to battle but there are no battles in this game yet.

to do list

• battle engine
  • learning magic
  • items
  • cooking/combo system
  • shop, armoury, bank and inn
  • story
  • anything else I forgot
if you have any comments, bugs, code optimsation, grammar errors or ideas, then please post them here.

Last edited by Guest on 08 Jun 2007 03:16:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cure

Posted: 07 Jan 2007 04:50:57 pm    Post subject:

I like the icy parts, where you slide. We need to see more stuff like that in games. I'll try it out soon here, and give you some feedback.
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 08 Jan 2007 10:58:26 am    Post subject:

interesting...I guess you are going to put lots of puzzles into the game, am I right?
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 5 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement