This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
CoBB

Posted: 14 Nov 2004 03:56:16 am    Post subject:

It's very original. I looked at the moving screenies of Blinded by the Dark and thought, what the heck, why not add a flame effect to the menu. So it happened, about 20 bytes of additional code... Originally the highscore screen was also in flames, but the scores were hardly legible, so I dropped it.

As for a tables folder, I won't ask them. We don't even know if there is going to be any demand for such a thing. I'm sure they will act if many people start contributing tables, but at this point it wouldn't make much sense.
jvdthwip

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 14 Nov 2004 08:40:26 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
A beautiful RTFM question

Sorry, when I selected "Export", and I saw "save" in the corner and the default selected file type was "xagt", My inner idiot took over and told me that the "export" option didn't make the file, but instead re-saved it (which I have no idea why I would think such a thing)... Just thought I should ask to make sure...
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Nov 2004 10:17:58 pm    Post subject:

Well, I've got to hand it to you. This was the most impressive game I've seen in a very long time! In fact, I was so impressed, I spent the past two nights typing a 500-word review for ticalc. Hopefully, you'll get that tables folder because I really think this game can hit it big. Cool
CoBB

Posted: 15 Nov 2004 01:14:11 am    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
I spent the past two nights typing a 500-word review for ticalc.

Wow, I wonder if it fits within the 'reasonable length' limit. Very Happy
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Nov 2004 03:49:17 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully not. It's really not as long as it sounds; just a little over 1 page in MS Word if you include the spaces. Plus it's basically split into graphics, gameplay, controls, replay, and a quick summary at the end. Personally, I think it's a crime that this game "only" has a rating of 8.8 so far--it should be strong 9 or 10 now that the update is out.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 15 Nov 2004 07:11:51 pm    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
Personally, I think it's a crime that this game "only" has a rating of 8.8 so far--it should be strong 9 or 10 now that the update is out.

I assume you gave it a 10?

How many total votes are there? If there are few enough, just telling the people in this forum could "tweak" that a bit....... next time I go to TICALC, I'll give it a 10. See if that helps.
Madskillz

Posted: 15 Nov 2004 10:12:40 pm    Post subject:

yes...give it the rating it deserves. Don't just give it a 10 to help the file's rating unless that is the way you feel about the file. Of course his game deserves a strong 9, even a 10 in my opinion. Very Happy

Last edited by Guest on 15 Nov 2004 10:13:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Nov 2004 06:10:48 pm    Post subject:

Hmmm... Those ticalc guys didn't display my (or any other) review yet and it's been four days already. Did they throw it out? Sad Mad
CoBB

Posted: 22 Nov 2004 01:47:52 am    Post subject:

I just stumbled upon this gem while browsing the past. Look at the thread, not the article. :)

http://www.ticalc.org/archives/news/articl.../91883.html?p=2
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Nov 2004 03:20:17 pm    Post subject:

Heh heh. I guess that must be where it all began. I remember when that 68k version came out and I thought: "Too bad there's not a Z80 edition. It probably wouldn't be fast enough." Razz

Well, it looks like my ticalc review is going nowhere fast, so I might as well post it here. First of all, let me say that I wanted to put "10"s in all-around, but I felt I had to toss in some 9's just so it would get taken seriously. Here's an earlier draft...

Me @ ticalc wrote:
GRAPHICS 10/10

From the time you see the flaming text effects on the main screen; you know you're in for a real treat.  The in-game graphics run at lightning speed--but rarely too quickly for a well-powered calc's LCD to keep up.  Even the lowly TI-82 looks like a supercomputer once the graphics start rolling.  The scrolling was smooth and uniform, and its speed rivals that of CrASHware's rightfully-famous render_map suite.  One thing that stuck out was Patai's creative ball-following technique, which helps you keep from getting badly disoriented.

GAMEPLAY 9/10

You really start to get a feel for how well-tuned the physics engine is from the moment the ball leaves the slingshot.  A quick peek at Patai Gergely's physics source reveals that real-world collision math is at work here.  The collision detection is spectacular—with nary a false bounce to be seen.  The gravity system is just as impressive; the ball can dart like a bullet and then crawl at a snail's pace all in the same match.  I can honestly say that the physics here is better than some modern PC versions I've played. 

CONTROLS 10/10

The key arrangement did catch me off guard, and I accidentally forfeited two of my first games in the process (my fault for jumping into things without reading).  But once you get past this, the layout makes more sense.  The keys are very responsive, and you can toggle both flippers independently, just like the real thing.  One notable feature was the *tilt* key, which nudges the ball in case it “stalls” on a flat surface.  The pause and exit keys were also very well-placed.

REPLAY 9/10

Interactive objects like drop targets, gates, and other cool gismos kept the tables fresh and dynamic.  For example, the SPEED map is filled with bonus items like spike strips, checkered flags, and spare tires (and even a traffic ticket) that will affect your score and open hidden gateways.  Difficulty varies from map to map: with “Speed” appearing to be one of the easier ones and “Cave” being much tougher.  Saved tables will retain your highest score for later viewing.  This gives you ample opportunity to import custom maps and challenge the old records later.  The only thing that might possibly limit replay value was the missing "initials" features and difficulty option that you might expect in most arcades.

OVERALL 10/10

There are a lot of things I could not cover here, like the editor, but I can only summarize here.  Despite the minor "double-table" bug that appeared on my CrASH version, this game met all of my expectations.  It wasn’t just good.  It was REVOLUTIONARY.  In my opinion, giving this program anything besides the top rating just wouldn’t be justifiable.  So I gave Acelgoyobis a 10 out of 10.
ducttape_87

Posted: 22 Nov 2004 07:18:59 pm    Post subject:

I have to say, this is one of those rare games that makes me wonder "how the hell is this possible on a CALCULATOR?!?!?" Awesome job. A real gem. I'm sure my friends will love it.
CoBB

Posted: 23 Nov 2004 01:24:09 am    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
Heh heh.  I guess that must be where it all began.  I remember when that 68k version came out and I thought: "Too bad there's not a Z80 edition.  It probably wouldn't be fast enough." Razz

Well, almost. When Jude's pinball came out, the base physics engine was already working (just some days old). Unfortunately the Maxcoderz boards have been wiped twice since then, so I can't show the original post.
shadowing