This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 03 Jun 2007 09:00:38 pm    Post subject:

That was done for 83 and lower compatibility.
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 04 Jun 2007 01:29:59 pm    Post subject:

Xphoenix wrote:
That's one of the things that brought down the game's popularity.
[post="106581"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

There was a Rants&Raves thread about that...here:
http://www.unitedti.org/index.php?showtopic=6516

I don't find it an annoyance, though Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Guest on 04 Jun 2007 01:30:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Jun 2007 03:12:31 pm    Post subject:

"Brought down?" It's held the top 10 spot in MirageOS games for 3 years!

Are we really making this big a fuss over some 10-second inconvenience? I don't see anyone else doing hyper-realistic physics for multiple calc models. The rants forum just seems really frivolous to me.
CoBB

Posted: 04 Jun 2007 04:20:05 pm    Post subject:

I only have an 83. When I developed AG, there were no decent emulators with flash capability (I’m not glad to say that, but TilEm has too much VTI legacy to be useful for a serious developer, and it doesn’t behave nicely under Windows, at least it didn’t at the time), so I had no means to test code working with the archive. This is the very reason why I started working on PTI. :biggrin:

As for the AG archiving problem, I guess it isn’t important enough if no-one has tackled it in the past two-three years. The source code is bundled with the game after all, and I put no restrictions on it. I definitely don’t feel motivated to help out people who so easily neglect all the positives just because they ran into some minor inconvenience and are apparently unable to appreciate the effort that went into the project.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Jun 2007 07:37:37 pm    Post subject:

I have to say that despite its uberness, it is not one that spends a whole lot of time on my DCS desktop, due to the RAM usage and inconvenience of ungrouping levels every time I want to use them (which isn't too bad, except that it means exiting DCS, tweaking with the memory menus and clearing up space, then only being able to have 4 levels at a time, and then I have to delete them after playing meaning I can't save my scores). I love the work that's been poured into developing AG, but the level system makes an otherwise good program into a PITA to use for the casual gamer.
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 04 Jun 2007 08:17:11 pm    Post subject:

Let me clear somethings up Cobb. I really like your game. And it stays on my calc to this day. I truly do appreciate the hard work and effort you put into Ag too. However when I posted that topic I never meant to attack your game specifically. I can name a couple others that do it too. Alien Breed, Tiny CarZ... and the archive situation does bother me. It not only bothers me, but limits the amount of people who can use it. I am just about the only person(maybe others) at my school who knows what archive is. And if tables were left in ram, Mario couldn't be played, they'd get lost due to ram clears and so on. Therefore it is tough to get people to play this game. Anyways, to sum things up Cobb, I enjoy your game, I appreciate what you did, yes I have a little problem with it, maybe someday I could edit the source but it is not a high priority.
CoBB

Posted: 05 Jun 2007 01:53:11 am    Post subject:

baorder54 wrote:
Anyways, to sum things up Cobb, I enjoy your game, I appreciate what you did, yes I have a little problem with it, maybe someday I could edit the source but it is not a high priority.

That’s not what I gathered from the post in the other topic... You know, I’ve seen way too many people saying ‘AG is a great game, but <insert mile-long tirade about having to unarchive tables>’. In other words, the proportions are not right. You’d probably understand this problem more if you authored something that received similar opinions. Back than I had no means (and knowledge!) to add archive support, now I don’t have time any more.

And maybe you’ll also understand that I find it hard sympathise with this ‘difficulty’, since as an 83 user I don’t have the convenience of storing stuff in the flash. Every time I want to load a table not present in the RAM I have to look for a PC and send it over the link.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Jun 2007 06:02:08 pm    Post subject:

CoBB wrote:
baorder54 wrote:
Anyways, to sum things up Cobb, I enjoy your game, I appreciate what you did, yes I have a little problem with it, maybe someday I could edit the source but it is not a high priority.

That’s not what I gathered from the post in the other topic... You know, I’ve seen way too many people saying ‘AG is a great game, but <insert mile-long tirade about having to unarchive tables>’. In other words, the proportions are not right. You’d probably understand this problem more if you authored something that received similar opinions. Back than I had no means (and knowledge!) to add archive support, now I don’t have time any more.

And maybe you’ll also understand that I find it hard sympathise with this ‘difficulty’, since as an 83 user I don’t have the convenience of storing stuff in the flash. Every time I want to load a table not present in the RAM I have to look for a PC and send it over the link.

you also get to use more of your 32K of ram than us 83+/84+ series users iirc.
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 05 Jun 2007 07:58:54 pm    Post subject:

CoBB wrote:

[post="106697"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I only replied in this topic to set one thing straight: I enjoy your game, I appreciate the work that was put into it. Heck I appreciate the work that was put into any game. What I said in my previous post really has nothing to do with what you are saying here. You are putting words in my mouth that I never said.
Quote:
I definitely don’t feel motivated to help out people who so easily neglect all the positives just because they ran into some minor inconvenience and are apparently unable to appreciate the effort that went into the project.

I would much like to settle this misunderstanding and it would help if you could reply with some quotes that make you think that I feel this way. Whether I said it or not in my previous posts, I surely didn't mean for them to convey that I did not appreciate your hard work. I hope you understand
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 05 Jun 2007 08:58:45 pm    Post subject:

elfprince13 wrote:
you also get to use more of your 32K of ram than us 83+/84+ series users iirc.
[post="106749"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Wasn't there a program out there that expanded the availible ram for the 83+/84+ series?
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 05 Jun 2007 09:43:56 pm    Post subject:

I think that if that was possible it would be more widely spread, although I don't really know. What I do know is that there is AddArc which adds archive to your 83+ and I think this might be what you are thinking of. Smile
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Jun 2007 09:45:24 pm    Post subject:

Yes...Iambian's making it, it's called Z-something, I can't remember...:blush:
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 05 Jun 2007 09:50:08 pm    Post subject:

baorder54 wrote:
I think that if that was possible it would be more widely spread, although I don't really know.  What I do know is that there is AddArc which adds archive to your 83+ and I think this might be what you are thinking of. Smile
[post="106775"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Does this work on 84's?
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Jun 2007 09:59:25 pm    Post subject:

TheStorm wrote:
baorder54 wrote:
I think that if that was possible it would be more widely spread, although I don't really know.  What I do know is that there is AddArc which adds archive to your 83+ and I think this might be what you are thinking of. Smile
[post="106775"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Does this work on 84's?
[post="106779"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm pretty sure thats not healthy for your calculator
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 05 Jun 2007 10:03:30 pm    Post subject:

ok, so then I shouldn't try it on an 84+, k got you.
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 06 Jun 2007 11:40:25 am    Post subject:

TheStorm wrote:
ok, so then I shouldn't try it on an 84+, k got you.
[post="106783"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You can always emulate it first Laughing
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 06 Jun 2007 02:34:29 pm    Post subject:

It wouldn't work on an emulator because you have to let it run until the batteries run out. That is kind of tough on an emulator. Also, you need to resend the OS. Another thing that is tough on an emulator.

That's not was I was thinking of. I have a SE anyway, so I don't need more archive.
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 06 Jun 2007 04:25:07 pm    Post subject:

I was thinking this for a friend who has an 84+ but ok btw since it waits for the batteries to die couldn't yo just remove them?
Xphoenix

Elite

Posted: 06 Jun 2007 04:35:17 pm    Post subject:

That's kind of different... Running out of batteries, um, IDK, and removing one just clears your RAM if it was on, or nothing happens if it was off.
vuurrobin

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Jun 2007 06:09:22 am    Post subject:

Harrierfalcon wrote:
Yes...Iambian's making it, it's called Z-something, I can't remember...:blush:
[post="106777"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think you mean Zigel

UTI topic

omnimaga topic
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 6 of 6 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement