This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
+ZERO+

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Jul 2006 10:12:55 am    Post subject:

OK, I have an application I made that when a user presses a NewEntry button, the GUI opens up so the user can type in a journal entry. When they press done, it publishes the multiple fields to a file called 'Journal.txt' I want to make a built in file reader that reads the files. I have made it so that the 4 fields have designated lengths, but I dont know how I will distinguish between two entrys. . . Please help.

If you want a (kindof) working version of what I have, http://tdwalden.googlepages.com/Journal.jnlp

It uses Java Web Start, but It just wont publish the file, please help me with that, too.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 14 Jul 2006 02:20:29 pm    Post subject:

Elaborate.

Why can't you just have a line that designates a new entry?

Ex)

File.txt:

ENTRY - 5/6/06 06:23:54
blah blah balh
blah blah balh
blaha balh blah
ENTRY - 5/7/07 05:12:34
blah blah
Blah blah

Then just search the files for lines starting with ENTRY

I can't really understand if this is what you mean or not, hence the first line of this post.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 18 Jul 2006 04:57:06 pm    Post subject:

if they have desiganted lengths, then store each entry on a line.

use String.substring(int,int) to separate the entries out.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement