This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
fool

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 08 Jul 2006 10:08:32 pm    Post subject:

I was wonderin if anyone could give me some ideas on how to improve my RPG im working on. Please try the game I have zipped along with the other progs. Run "AOC2" and have the other progs in RAM. Thanks.

Download here.

Last edited by Guest on 16 Aug 2006 12:31:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 09 Jul 2006 12:54:52 pm    Post subject:

Rather then double posting use Edit next time.
fool

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 09 Jul 2006 05:38:34 pm    Post subject:

feedback would be helpful and appreciated
todlangweilig

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Jul 2006 11:31:59 am    Post subject:

I liked it, it was pretty fun to play, but there are definately some things to address,

The biggest thing is that there is a serious memory leak. I tried to run your program and got through the menu, but got a memory error when it tried to store stuff to [A] in ZLOAD. I went to the memory screen and there was 2k left in RAM. I keep getting memory errors there as well. There was 0 bytes free in the archive, i only had the Apps that it came with there. So i wound up reseting the archive, archived your program and reset the RAM. That seemed to take care of the memory leak. I then ran you program and it worked, but when i go back to the memory screen I still get a Error memory. I believe this to be a problem with one of your ASM progs.

It would be nice if there were less battle in the beginning. It gets kind of annoying because you can't get out of the first map without fighting twice.

In battle, you might want to make it so that one doesn't have to keep pressing enter.
ie so it not like this:
Choose Attack
3. Sword
you do 3 damage
[enter]
*blank* does 3 damage
[enter]
Choose Attack

maybe more like this:
Choose Attack
3. Sword
you do 3 damage
*.5 -1 sec delay*
*blank* does 5 damage
Choose Attack
3. Sword

Could you make the names of the enemies a little more discriptive than b, `, ?, etc
It would be nice to see something like, "You were attacked by a Rapid Wolf!". I dont care if you use the characters to represent the enemies, that would be fine.

It would be nice if you did something with that 'M' in the 3rd map if you goto the left in the first map. It gives a Error Undefined when you walk on it. I had a pretty good character going until that happened.

I do like the fact that one keeps their stats when they die Smile I don't know if thats what you intend or not though.

You might also want to look into generating the maps instead of storing them. If you are going to have a lot of them stored, they are going to start hogging a lot of ram.

You should be able to optimize a good deal of things in your BASIC progs. Talk to Weregoose, he is great at optimizing. http://weregoose.unitedti.org/#Optimize

You done a lot of work, but you have a lot to go as well. So keep up the good work.

p.s. it might be nice if you would post your source to your ASM programs so we can see what you are doing/ help you with debugging.
fool

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 12 Jul 2006 04:15:24 pm    Post subject:

Oh wow, thanks alot for the feedback! About the enemies, Im not too concerned about changing them. I will add delay loops. Oh, the "M" is where i wanted to put a shop to upgrade stats and potions that heal you a certain amount. My biggest problem is the memory leaks. I've included the source codes for the asm progs. Thanks again for helping me out.

Last edited by Guest on 12 Jul 2006 04:21:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
todlangweilig

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Jul 2006 06:02:51 pm    Post subject:

There is still a problem with the ZARK program. Its somehow causing L1 and L2 to be screwed up. On my calculator it says that L1 has a dimention of 16719. :biggrin:. L2 seems to hold patterns of 0, 8e-128, and 4.4e-128.
fool

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 19 Jul 2006 07:54:35 pm    Post subject:

Try my updated version because I havent gotten any memory errors.
todlangweilig

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Jul 2006 08:04:48 pm    Post subject:

I downloaded the new version from the other thread. I don't mean a memory error from the basic program. I mean a memory error in the memory screen steming from L1. I've tried your program on two different 83+'s, so i don't think that it is something specific to my calc. To see what I mean, try running your program until you get to the first menu and 'kwit'. Then type [2nd] [1] and you'll see what i mean.
fool

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 19 Jul 2006 08:23:57 pm    Post subject:

omg, ur rite. Any idea what's wrong with my asm prgm zark?
todlangweilig

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Jul 2006 09:02:29 pm    Post subject:

Why don't you go through and comment ZARK, both the code and what exactly its suppost to do? This will be quite useful in figuring out what's wrong with it.
fool

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 19 Jul 2006 09:03:44 pm    Post subject:

I've looked, theres nothing wrong. I posted the source in Z80 forum
todlangweilig

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Jul 2006 09:24:52 pm    Post subject:

The comments aren't necessarily for you. They are for everyone else trying to read/understand your code. A four letter name isn't all that descriptive. People aren't going to want to spend time trying to figure out what it does. You need to explain how this thing works.

Comments are also good for helping you remember what you were trying to do 6 months from now.
fool

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 19 Jul 2006 09:32:51 pm    Post subject:

All it does is archive (if *is b4 the prog name), unarchive ( if a space is b4 the prog name), lock (if L is b4 the prog name), or unlock (if U is b4 the prog name) any program in str0. e.g. to archive itself:
:"*ZARK"->Str0
:Asm(prgmZARK

Simple as that, but i dont know why it has memory errors.
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 19 Jul 2006 11:16:53 pm    Post subject:

"You know you're brilliant, but maybe you'd like to understand what you did 2 weeks from now." -Linus Torvalds

;D
todlangweilig

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Jul 2006 11:25:17 pm    Post subject:

Nope, I've never exemplified that one before. Razz
fool

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 20 Jul 2006 08:38:47 pm    Post subject:

umm howbout we stik to topic? Rolling Eyes
phi_plus_u_squared

Posted: 23 Jul 2006 01:51:33 pm    Post subject:

Its a good game so far. Keep it up. I recommend that you put more things in like items and puzzles because battle after battle can get boring. Overall, good job.
fool

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 23 Jul 2006 06:56:26 pm    Post subject:

What kind of puzzles should I add?
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 23 Jul 2006 07:43:37 pm    Post subject:

Like a riddle so that you can battle the next boss, (something) so that you find out what sword or spell is more powerful against the next ennemy...

Anything that will fit in the memory taking of your program!
fool

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 23 Jul 2006 10:58:32 pm    Post subject:

is it possible to make a maze with invisible walls so that if you "fall" you'll go back to the beginning of the maze?
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 4 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement