PHP
This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
PHP
james

Posted: 19 Jun 2006 05:50:07 pm    Post subject:

Hey

I think i have a good idea so i wanted to come to my united ti friends first.(because i know you wont steal my idea and run away with it..lol and been with the site so long)

The idea...
I want to make an online community...like 'tagworld' or 'myspace'...but what i want to do is have a webcam support. So your able to see the person your talking to.

What i need...
programmers....People who are experienced in php...maybe java(not sure what im going to use)

thats basicly it for right now...i want to get something together

all feedback is welcome

thanks in advance everyone :biggrin:

Edit:
I see people viewing.....but no comments....all feedback is welcome:)

this is an example of what i might want the site to look like..

www.realpics.net

Edited By Braz. Please be more patient next time.
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Jun 2006 05:57:53 pm    Post subject:

That's a pretty good idea but a huge project. You'd need support for different webcams, etc...

Luckily, there are such things out there already, but not two-way as you suggested. The way they do it is by making the person download a program from your site, then the program send the info to their servers and they put it all up.

So you need C programmers for the program AND experienced server-side programmers who have a fetish for actionscript.
james

Posted: 19 Jun 2006 06:02:21 pm    Post subject:

Brazucs wrote:
That's a pretty good idea but a huge project. You'd need support for different webcams, etc...

Luckily, there are such things out there already, but not two-way as you suggested. The way they do it is by making the person download a program from your site, then the program send the info to their servers and they put it all up.

So you need C programmers for the program AND experienced server-side programmers who have a fetish for actionscript.
[post="82665"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Thank you

I understand its a hudge project..lol and that sucks...but the rewards could be hudge. Especially if i gets as big as myspace..
Do you know anyone who is willing to help with the c programming or server-side programming?

Thanks again in advance
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 19 Jun 2006 06:06:18 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
What i need...
programmers....People who are experienced in php...maybe java(not sure what im going to use)

What you need:

Programmers: Lots of them. A team of at least 10.
Money: Lots of it. At least 10,000. Minimum. Probably more like 100,000.
Motivation: Lots of it.
Luck: Not lots of it, a freaking ton of it.
james

Posted: 19 Jun 2006 06:12:59 pm    Post subject:

Rezek wrote:
Quote:
What i need...

What you need:

Programmers: Lots of them. A team of at least 10.
Money: Lots of it. At least 10,000. Minimum. Probably more like 100,000.
Motivation: Lots of it.
Luck: Not lots of it, a freaking ton of it.
[post="82668"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

thanks for your support

why do you think i need 10,000-100,000 dollars?
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 19 Jun 2006 06:17:43 pm    Post subject:

Paying the lackeys, servers, bandwidth....

I hate to be my usual pessimistic self, but I think this is too big of a project for one person (or even several).
james

Posted: 19 Jun 2006 06:24:07 pm    Post subject:

alexrudd wrote:
Paying the lackeys, servers, bandwidth....

I hate to be my usual pessimistic self, but I think this is too big of a project for one person (or even several).
[post="82673"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

well other than the usual advertising...i was thinking about getting a webcam company behind the site so that they could help out with the funds and be our offical webcam for the site
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Jun 2006 06:29:52 pm    Post subject:

Oh dear oh dear oh dear, whatever would've become of open source projects if that much money was required for anything?

Start small!

The PHP and database part doesn't have to be more than a one-man job. Just throw together a basic main site with a profile view and edit page.

Research research research!

Figure out what webcam solution you want. You can use flash actionscript, java, jsp, and probably a whole bunch of simpler or more advanced techniques ranging from uploading a streaming file for each account and working it with a php script to your own custom render apps.

For a college project we made a CMS and as an extra we where allowed to add webcam support, some project teams implemented that. 0 funds, 3-4 months, 4-6 man. Now, that's not supder duper professional comemrcial business success software, but it would make a great start for a site.
james

Posted: 19 Jun 2006 06:35:52 pm    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
Oh dear oh dear oh dear, whatever would've become of open source projects if that much money was required for anything?

Start small!

The PHP and database part doesn't have to be more than a one-man job. Just throw together a basic main site with a profile view and edit page.

Research research research!

Figure out what webcam solution you want. You can use flash actionscript, java, jsp, and probably a whole bunch of simpler or more advanced techniques ranging from uploading a streaming file for each account and working it with a php script to your own custom render apps.

For a college project we made a CMS and as an extra we where allowed to add webcam support, some project teams implemented that. 0 funds, 3-4 months, 4-6 man. Now, that's not supder duper professional comemrcial business success software, but it would make a great start for a site.
[post="82675"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Thx for the support...
You could be a hudge help to me...is there anyway you could help me out...you and the cms could be a big help
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Jun 2006 08:59:05 pm    Post subject:

The CMS was programmed in JSP, and I was the only somewhat decent programmer in our team so you don't want to see a single line of code, except maybe mine but I made the pure html (client side anyways) real-time chatroom. Razz It's very specific for that assignment anyways.

Heck, you could skip this part and use an already excisting open source PHP CMS. Just fill in your pages and make a nice css style/layout.

I'll ask around if anyone has any research material lying around about those webcams. Our official college education material about video streaming of any kind consisted of a single powerpoint slide that pretty much just said "lolplugins".

Last edited by Guest on 19 Jun 2006 09:06:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 19 Jun 2006 10:43:48 pm    Post subject:

Why do you need money? Because if you are running a site as big as Myspace (or want it to get anywhere near that big) you are going to be expelling money right and left on:

- Advertising
- Programmers
- Designers
- Dedicated Servers
- Any liscenses you'll need for software

Look at Riya. They were a small startup with a simple idea: Face recognition. They ended up raising 15 *million* to fund it.

As the founder himself put it: "Cash is everything in a startup. Your adventure ends when cash ends."

Last edited by Guest on 19 Jun 2006 10:45:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Jun 2006 05:56:36 am    Post subject:

You don't need a 100,000 dollars to start with something like this unless you like to blow money on stuff you don't use.

You won't need advertising while you're developing the product. You don't need to pay programmers. You don't need to pay designers (have you ever looked at myspace.com? :p) and you don't need licenses.

All you need to start with is a dozen gigabyte bandwith per month php/mysql webhost that'll cost you from 10-100 dollar a month if anything at all. And maybe after a while, if your idea seems worthwhile judging from visitor's reactions then you may want to spread the word with some advertising here and there. Part of that can be covered by advertising on your own site, but don't count on it.

Or you can first spend 2 years raising a couple of million and spend it on programmers, servers, tv commercials, and an office building to work in for some reason, when you haven't even got a tech demo running yet or get stuck at 100 hits per month.

Sure, after the first tests and concept runs and surveys on how liked the site is, you may want to spark it up with some good ol' cash investments, but untill then you shouldn't spend a dime without knowing what you're doing.

You're competing with a multimillion dollar company with a concept that is not too unique from theirs so far. First see if your concept is feasible, then go about making some business plans to bring it to the market. That can mean buying a server to put on your attic and some more bandwith or that can mean starting a billion dollar software company.

---

What to think about (and strategize for!) from a business point of view: (I major in business engineering รถ)

Strategic Alignment Model: http://www.valuebasedmanagement.net/method..._alignment.html
Porter's 5 forces analysis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porter_5_forces_analysis
Porter's generic strategies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porter_generic_strategies
Market positioning: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_positioning
Internal strategic plan/analysis: strategic principles, spearpoints, SWOT, organisation context/structure, etc.
SWOT analysis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SWOT_analysis
ICT Architecture: task models, dataflow diagrams, C/U matrix, and various other information diagrams.
Return on Investment
and so on.

Last I checked you can deal with that for free, but if you want to send some of that 100,000 dollar to my paypal account to do it for you... "your adventure will start" :p

Last edited by Guest on 20 Jun 2006 06:02:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 20 Jun 2006 08:18:45 am    Post subject:

Quote:
All you need to start with is a dozen gigabyte bandwith per month php/mysql webhost that'll cost you from 10-100 dollar a month if anything at all. And maybe after a while, if your idea seems worthwhile judging from visitor's reactions then you may want to spread the word with some advertising here and there. Part of that can be covered by advertising on your own site, but don't count on it.

And then you can watch while nobody signs up for your site because none of their friends has, or anybody else at all.

For a site like MySpace to succeed it has to reach 'critical mass', and that's something you're going to have to advertise, advertise, advertise to reach.
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Jun 2006 10:23:53 am    Post subject:

10K? No way...

Successful sites started out with little or no startup capital: eBay, Wikipedia, Facebook, etc...

Last edited by Guest on 20 Jun 2006 10:24:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 20 Jun 2006 10:53:59 am    Post subject:

They also had no competitors and got a headstart on everyone else.
c_plus_plus
My Face Hertz

Posted: 20 Jun 2006 01:02:24 pm    Post subject:

word of mouth will start the site going and then mabe it wil grow from there.

EDIT: You need something diferent so it will attract people even if you don't advertise.

Last edited by Guest on 20 Jun 2006 01:03:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 20 Jun 2006 01:38:33 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
word of mouth will start the site going and then mabe it wil grow from there.

Right, but word of mouth isn't going to start until you've reached a substantial amount of visiters already.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Jun 2006 01:50:11 pm    Post subject:

Another problem is that a site meant specifically for webcam use is going to have a narrower audience in general. I mean, I don't even own a webcam, and I'm sure I'm not alone here.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Jun 2006 02:52:53 pm    Post subject:

Got any articles detailing how MySpace really got started?

Quote:
Right, but word of mouth isn't going to start until you've reached a substantial amount of visiters already.
You'll be surprised what a couple of posts on some popular forums here and there can do.

Not to mention advertising gained freely.

I myself even know people who don't spend a dime on advertising and are getting millions of hits per month, 400 unique visitors per day, with a far from original concept for their site(s).

Last edited by Guest on 20 Jun 2006 02:58:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 20 Jun 2006 03:57:32 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I myself even know people who don't spend a dime on advertising and are getting millions of hits per month, 400 unique visitors per day, with a far from original concept for their site(s).

I'm honestly not trying to ridicule you or anything, but 400 uniques a day isn't very much. Especially for a social networking site.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
PHP
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement