This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
CDI

Advanced Member

Posted: 16 Jun 2006 11:17:57 am    Post subject:

So, if you've been on IRC recentally you may have seen me with the word "Mansion" as part of my nick, and the most I told anyone at any time (besides certan people) is that it's a project name, after whiping up some code as seen here I began adding things, like doors, and a gun, and enemies... Then I thought to myself, "well, since this will be a platformer, I need good test maps" so I dug up the original 4 test maps for Metroid I noticed that this was pretty fun, I added in a morph ball like ability, and all of a sudden I had Metroid, on the homescreen. At first I decided NOT to do this game, because last time I did, it took 5 months and countless hours of work, and I'm still not done with it...

But then Kévin Ouellet started to work on Metroid II as a sort of sequel to mine (totally better though) and I didn't want to enfringe upon his territory. So I just idled by and let him do his thing, but just to have fun I showed him this and he got all excited, so I went with it, and kept adding maps (and in cases a few more rooms) originaly (and loosely) based off of this it's a direct port of Metroid BASIC 83+ to the homescreen, only now I have 20k to do it in, and maps will take up about 9k of that, leaving me 11k for gameplay (4k of the ram is going to be used for ingame data). There are 2 screenshots of this game as seen here and here.

The bosses in the game will all be the same ones as in the original Metroid BASIC, Kraid will change from the 64px tall behometh to a 2 character tall thing, though he did seem to gain a new power. The varia suit after Boss 2 is gone, and missles (needed to kill Mother Brain) take it's place, you can jump forever in lava, but it will always hurt you, there are 2 more health pickups in the game (for a max health of 399 when going up against Mother Brain) the room for the 2nd boss no longer has rising and falling lava, thus making it easier. The ship is the only thing that recharges health (besides health packs) and after you beat Mother Brain, instead of the game ending with an explosion, you have to escape before a timer runs out.

So, what now? Well... I have to do all the boss battles, code in the gaining of the morph ball, code in the gaining of the health packs, and the rest of the maps, and then some little extra things if I have space.
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 16 Jun 2006 05:23:17 pm    Post subject:

This looks like it could be really fun. I hope it works out. It would take more time but would it be possible to display the map all at once by preparing it to a string and outputing the string to 1,1 (does this work on 83+?). It might make it look smoother espcially if it actually worked fast.

Last edited by Guest on 16 Jun 2006 05:23:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Jun 2006 06:58:05 am    Post subject:

I assume pure means pure basic Smile
CDI

Advanced Member

Posted: 17 Jun 2006 10:19:57 am    Post subject:

@Super - Yes, I could use strings, but Mats are faster for hits detection, and changing things, as well, I only have 20k to do this in, so I'm conserving space EVERYWHERE, besides, map loding on my 83+ nonSE takes 1s at most

@leo - Yeah, I'm not using any ASM for anything, or any computer stuff, all done by hand on my 83+ (non SE)

I finished Kraid last night, fun battle really, now I have to do the 2nd boss battle, and next up is Mother Brain (I may have a 4th battle)

Last edited by Guest on 17 Jun 2006 10:22:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 17 Jun 2006 12:03:14 pm    Post subject:

You could still use Matrices for hit detection, here let me show you what I mean:

Start with this command if the first block in top left is always "N"

"N
for(x,1,128
Ans+[look up whats to be displayed]
end
output(1,1,ans

Shouldn't really take up that much more memory, right?

Last edited by Guest on 17 Jun 2006 12:03:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
CDI

Advanced Member

Posted: 17 Jun 2006 04:58:20 pm    Post subject:

waitwaitwait? What??? That's slower actually, much imho, because you have to do addition then a display, instead of just display... and if it is faster, it'd SEEM slower because you don't see progression... and my maps are 8x12 not 8x16, so that puts all kind of diffuculties in there...
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 17 Jun 2006 08:34:53 pm    Post subject:

The reason I liked the idea was because you couldn't see the proggress and could just put loading, but you are completely right about the 8x12 thing, I just hate watching the tile proccess.
Cure

Posted: 17 Jun 2006 09:00:28 pm    Post subject:

Maybe it's been answered, but you're not using xLib, right CDI?
SilverCalcKnight
|_

Posted: 17 Jun 2006 09:09:32 pm    Post subject:

No, he's not.

-=SilverCalcKnight=-
CDI

Advanced Member

Posted: 18 Jun 2006 02:47:04 pm    Post subject:

Okay, every last map part is done, 9.6k for maps total... I have the 2nd boss complete, it started out as ridley (because I have kraid) but that didn't work out too well, so idk WHO he is, but he's a bit hard, due to the envrionment.

The after effect is done, I emulated it (because I can ya know) and almost died, I got out with ~5 energy, and started with over 300 =\

There is 1 "secret" in the game that you might have to grab so you can get out enough...

The map has changed a bit, but you don't need the complete map to play, it's only 36 parts (37 ish)
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement