This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 19 Jun 2006 10:47:11 am    Post subject:

c_plus_plus wrote:
sigma wrote:
5. C++ sucks, but you can at least maintain larger projects with it.
[post="82433"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Mad What do you meen c++ sucks Mad
[post="82435"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think Sigma meant he doesn't like Visual C++ the program. Perhaps he prefers using some other compiler and IDE.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Jun 2006 05:37:46 pm    Post subject:

After checking some of the opening chapters, you're right VB 2005 is definately object-oriented and claims to have way more functionality than VB 6. It will probably be a few week before I can appreciate the difference, but it's good to know the language is going somewhere. This book's on the intro-level, so there was really little mention of the .net framework until the chapter I'm on. I figure I'll work through all the basics, then move on to the intermediate stuff in a few weeks to get a handle of this .NET stuff before I start messing around with VC++.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 19 Jun 2006 06:15:20 pm    Post subject:

Liazon wrote:
I think Sigma meant he doesn't like Visual C++ the program.  Perhaps he prefers using some other compiler and IDE.  [post="82640"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I think he considers C++ itself garbage, and would rather stick with C or use Java.
c_plus_plus
My Face Hertz

Posted: 19 Jun 2006 07:23:23 pm    Post subject:

I know Java, but I like the controll of C++. You can controll pointers and such. He might not like C++ because it is not pure OOP. simply C with OOP tacked on.
sgm

Calc Guru

Posted: 19 Jun 2006 10:39:25 pm    Post subject:

Yes I mean the language. What do I care about some IDE when all you need is the command line?

http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/ht...tml#cc_language
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Jun 2006 02:03:55 pm    Post subject:

So far, no one has explained what the problem is with Visual C++. Other than "d00d it sux" descriptions.
benryves

Posted: 21 Jun 2006 06:16:55 am    Post subject:

Visual C++ (the IDE) is fine. Visual Studio is certainly one of the most popular IDEs I've come across and certainly seems to be the industry standard.

I dislike C++ (the language) as a rather nasty hack of OOP on top of C. I much prefer plain C in that regard (even though I like OOP). I understand Objective-C does a much better job of moving C towards OOP, but have had no experience with it.

Oh, and writing header files sucks. ;)

The thing C++ has going for it is a lot of legacy code and support (C++ was and still is, on some platforms, the 'best' programming language for many applications).

The best bet is to make sure that you don't rely on a language, just on the general practices of programming, so that you can pick up and use language X as appropriate to the task.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement