FPS
This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
FPS
Sage Orator

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 Jun 2006 06:32:44 pm    Post subject:

I am thinking about starting a project that is essentially a first person shooter, not to be confused with a shoot 'em up. I plan for it to be a summer long, at least, project. Unfortunatly I already have six other projects. Laughing Anyway any suggestions on how I should start out or if it's possible.

BTW are there any other fps's out there?
axcho

Posted: 04 Jun 2006 06:58:20 pm    Post subject:

Try these:
Gemini
Wolfenstein

Or Mine: Razz
Ionquest
Actually, I have a better engine that uses the graph screen, but I haven't done anything with it yet.
Sage Orator

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 Jun 2006 07:09:42 pm    Post subject:

Thanks a lot. I'm gonna look at those.

Yours is the only one in Basic. Anyway what exactly, this is probably noobish, is raycasting.

Last edited by Guest on 04 Jun 2006 07:24:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
kalan_vod

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Jun 2006 12:18:55 am    Post subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_casting is all you need to know Razz, and there are a few other basic games like Unreal T. and others but they use pics.
Sage Orator

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Jun 2006 08:38:54 am    Post subject:

Thanks, I'm not sure whether I will, or even could, do raycasting. Anyway, I'll keep you guys updated. I have the main story done.
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 05 Jun 2006 05:46:53 pm    Post subject:

This is BASIC too:
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/328/32888.html
Sage Orator

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Jun 2006 06:42:55 pm    Post subject:

No disrespect meant. Smile I just searched raycaster, still figuring out what one is exactly, and yours didn't come up. That's what I was speaking of.

Thanks for all the help guys. Development is going, though very very slowly, foreward.

Last edited by Guest on 05 Jun 2006 06:44:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
tr1p1ea

Elite

Posted: 06 Jun 2006 12:35:26 am    Post subject:

FPS's are always cool. One thing that you must make sure you do is not set your aims too high, calcs are good but like fully 3d grayscale shooters are a little over the top (for now Smile).

Could you possibly give us any hints as to what the story will involve? Smile.
Sage Orator

Advanced Member

Posted: 06 Jun 2006 08:49:06 am    Post subject:

Let's see...it's a mix between the later Ender's Game books and an enormous xenocide/genocide. I'll put up the attachment when I get home. Okay I got it up. I left room open for a sequel.

I don't expect too much, especially right now. I'll probably do what I do with all of my games and update it a thousand times until it is completly different from the original.

Last edited by Guest on 06 Jun 2006 03:18:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
axcho

Posted: 06 Jun 2006 03:41:08 pm    Post subject:

Is this going to be in BASIC? Because I can't think of how you would do it in BASIC without raycasting. If you want, you can use the graph screen raycasting engine (faster than Ionquest) that I made. I can help you figure out how to use it for your game.

Could you post a description of the type of gameplay you want to have in the game?
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
FPS
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement