This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 29 May 2006 01:09:39 pm    Post subject:

I was at my freind's house the other day and he pulled out a game I'd never seen or heard of before from Japan. Apparently the game is not available in the USA and he
got it as an import. The idea of the game is to swing around by pushing off wall's and floating objects with lightening shot out of your staff, this same lightneing is used to shoot enemies. It was by far the funnest game I've played in years. It gave me an idea...

What about a physic's based game where you jump off object's continuously while in combat? While there are places to land, for the most part they are just places to breifly rest before jumping into the action once again. The enemies, unlike you, just float around unaffected by the law's of physics. While in my game you do not use lightening to float around, you still shoot something (not sure what yet) out of your hand at the enemies. You appear to be a dot, yay.

No enemy's yet. Engine V.1.04

Test level:

0->B
30->D
30->A
0->E
0->H
Horizontal Ymin
Horizontal Ymax
Vertical Xmin
Vertical Xmax
Vertical 10
Vertical 40
Line(10,-58,30,-58
Line(37,-20,37,-59
Pt-On(32,-58
Pt-On(32,-57

EDIT1: SCK is having trouble with code, let me check it for typo's before copying it. It is still appear's to be buggy but 99% of these "bugs" are there on purposes that are not right now apparent.

EDIT2: If Inot(G is part of old version of engine which I forgot to delete. As well take the ClrDraw from the begining. (if you copied from V1.01).

EDIT3: If you have V1.01 or V1.00 this affects you. Added If K before the 2->H very early in the code, it makes game play more convienent. In case you are wondering the thing that alow's you to swing around poles is not a bug, the reason you cannot move when this happens is I intend for level's to be less full of long lines and this makes it look cooler and this is the most effeciant way to this considering that.

EDIT4: There was a bug in the first line posted. Replace B with D. Sorry about that.

EDIT5: Major changes, anyone who copied before 1.03 should change, that means you.

EDIT6: Those who copied before 1.04 need to make changes.

EDIT7: Several optimizations, now on version 1.06, I now added in quotes "v.1.06" to the begining of the program to avoid confusion.

Window settings:
0->Xmin
-62->Ymin
1->[delta]X
1->[delta]Y

Pxl-Change(int(D),int(A
While 1
Pxl-Test(int(D)+1,int(A->G
Pxl-Test(int(D)-1,int(A->I
Pxl-Test(int(D),1+int(A->J
Pxl-Test(int(D),int(A)-1->L
Pxl-Test(int(D),int(A->M
getkey->K
If J+L and not(G
Then
If ans
2->H
(B>-1 and B<0)-(B>0 and B<1->B
End
.95Hnot(K=34 or G->H
If Gnot(I)(K=25
2->H
int(A->C
int(D->F
max(-1,min(1,B+(.5+not(m))((K=26 and not(J))-(K=24 and not(L->B
Ans+A->A
D-G+1-H+Inot(G->D
.95B-BG/4->B
Pxl-Change(iPart(D),iPart(A
Pxl-Change(F,C
End

Last edited by Guest on 08 Oct 2006 04:15:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 31 May 2006 03:50:53 pm    Post subject:

I updated the code above with bug fixes and some minor optimizations. Optimizations and feedback would be greatly appreciated. As stated above there is no combat in there yet. If you set it up right the dot can do some real cool things.

I've started the actual game and I'm attempting to make randomly generated level's (not all of them), a story line that changes based on decisions etc.
SilverCalcKnight
|_

Posted: 31 May 2006 04:58:48 pm    Post subject:

This looks and sounds fun, but ERR: DOMAIN isn't too fun of a game. ; )
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 31 May 2006 06:10:20 pm    Post subject:

ERR: DOMAIN probably came from you not setting up the demo level I listed, if thats not it tell me, it would be a typo from one of us (probably you, I checked the code twice).
axcho

Posted: 01 Jun 2006 07:00:45 pm    Post subject:

I am very interested to see how this develops. I'll try it out next week once school gets out.
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 08 Jun 2006 09:58:08 pm    Post subject:

Ok, I've been experimenting alot with level storage and display. But here's what I need:

1) A way to efficiantly display and erase enemies stored to a list (maybe at most five at a time). Then shot angles and speed for attacking these enemies.
2) Something that gives a small ammount of level interaction and change while playing but wouldn't slow the engine down much.

Thought's would be greatly appreciated as would your optimizations to the posted code. When it is fully finished I will replace all main variables with finance variables which is faster and may allow for further optimizations.

I like the swinging around poles (did anyone here notice this feature?) and want to keep it even if it makes large walls and barriers illogical to this game.

As you may have noticed I will be continually updating the code in the first post, take note when you copy it of which version you have so you know whether what I posted effects you.
SilverCalcKnight
|_

Posted: 08 Jun 2006 11:31:55 pm    Post subject:

I still don't get it. Code copied again, symbol for symbol.

-=SilverCalcKnight=-

SCK=Me
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 09 Jun 2006 03:15:12 pm    Post subject:

Didn't right a value for A in the setup... 30 should do. Sorry Silver. There is also a bug in the first lind, see the new code for the change. Sorry once again.

Last edited by Guest on 09 Jun 2006 03:17:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
SilverCalcKnight
|_

Posted: 09 Jun 2006 05:13:26 pm    Post subject:

Sure, sure. That's what I'm for, right? : )

-=SilverCalcKnight=-
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 13 Jun 2006 04:34:38 pm    Post subject:

So far this game is going great, I will be changing the code on the first post soon (I promise), but give me a couple days to take my finals and regent's exams. The game runs much smoother now, only slightly slower (un-noticably).

SilverCalcKnight has pitched me bugs, ideas and has been overall helpfull and I'll thank him now. He came up with a great idea for using stat-plot's to get moving stepping stones or walls. This will be perfect (I don't intend to use more then three or four plots).

For more interactivity with the level's I plan to have switches (ideas on how to accomplish this would be appreciated), moving wall's (a single line that shifts left and right) and finally a way to make walls stop you from moving.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 18 Jun 2006 09:19:30 pm    Post subject:

Sorry for the double post but I made many changes to the engine.

Did not test this with test levels, I may have made a bug copying it over, I'll check now. I would really appreciate some feedback on this project, it is taking up much of my time right now (with level design and such). Thanks once again SilverCalcKnight for the help.
SilverCalcKnight
|_

Posted: 18 Jun 2006 09:42:49 pm    Post subject:

The pole-swing has been replaced by a wall-jump.
And now the game feels more energetic... kinda fun, actually. Great job, Super Speler. If only we could get more people to play this... Level design is gonna be freaking sweet!!

-=SilverCalcKnight=-

P.S. You're welcome. Great sig.
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 18 Jun 2006 09:45:13 pm    Post subject:

Poll swing is still there, just a little different (and not done, see if you can find it).
SilverCalcKnight
|_

Posted: 18 Jun 2006 09:53:26 pm    Post subject:

Spoiler:Just found it, you have to jump into the pole. Otherwise you do a wall jump. Really cool. I think it's coming along great, it seems fun to play with (but not yet fun to eat). Like I said, level design will be awesome.

@Super Speler: Have you got the 'training level'? If not, I'll make one, then post it here, or maybe PM it to you.

-=SilverCalcKnight=-
axcho

Posted: 20 Jun 2006 02:17:05 pm    Post subject:

Okay, I just finished typing it into my calculator. There are some things in the code I was wondering about:

Code:
Pt-Change(iPart(A),-iPart(D
I may be missing something, but it seems like you might as well use Pxl-Change() for this, since it is faster, and you're already taking the iPart(). Plus the graph window settings match the pixels.

Also, where does the level setup code go?

And when you have the single If statements, it seems like they would be faster with full If Then End blocks.

Code:
If B<1 and B>0
1->B
If B>-1 and B<0
-1->B
This seems like it could be optimized to remove the If statements.

I can't really figure out how to move around very easily. Could you explain how the mechanics work and what buttons do what?

(after playing with it a little more)
I kind of see the pole-swinging where you go back and forth along the pole, and there's automatic bouncing off the walls. I am kind of confused about what the up arrow key does, and what all those variables are for. If you could explain what each variable does and what the game physics is supposed to be like, I might be able to simplify the code. Right now I just can't tell what is supposed to be happening, but it seems like it could be optimized.
SilverCalcKnight
|_

Posted: 20 Jun 2006 03:47:22 pm    Post subject:

Up jumps. And you continue bouncing once you hit the ground.

-=SilverCalcKnight=-
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 26 Jun 2006 05:24:50 pm    Post subject:

axcho wrote:
Okay, I just finished typing it into my calculator. There are some things in the code I was wondering about:

Code:
Pt-Change(iPart(A),-iPart(D
I may be missing something, but it seems like you might as well use Pxl-Change() for this, since it is faster, and you're already taking the iPart(). Plus the graph window settings match the pixels.

Also, where does the level setup code go?

And when you have the single If statements, it seems like they would be faster with full If Then End blocks.

Code:
If B<1 and B>0
1->B
If B>-1 and B<0
-1->B
This seems like it could be optimized to remove the If statements.

I can't really figure out how to move around very easily. Could you explain how the mechanics work and what buttons do what?

(after playing with it a little more)
I kind of see the pole-swinging where you go back and forth along the pole, and there's automatic bouncing off the walls. I am kind of confused about what the up arrow key does, and what all those variables are for. If you could explain what each variable does and what the game physics is supposed to be like, I might be able to simplify the code. Right now I just can't tell what is supposed to be happening, but it seems like it could be optimized.
[post="82745"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The reason I had pt-Change rather then pxl-Change was because how the game was originally coded. Thanks for the optimization. Pole swinging is in there but not finished. Left, Right arrows for movement. Up for jump. Level's are stored and displayed externally (and in a completely different way then implyed by the sample level).

That should answer several questions.

List or variables:

A,D - Location of dot.
D - Last key pressed
G (below), I (up), J (right), L (left) - Tests surrounding area for pixel's
M - Fixes a movement bug (I can't explain what it does)
B - Velocity
H - Used for jumping
C, F - Stores last location of dot.

Sorry for any confusion. It should not automatcally jump if you hit walls inless your pressing a button. I'll make the optimizations you have suggested now (except if-then-end for now because of neatness(will change this later)).

Last edited by Guest on 26 Jun 2006 05:30:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
SilverCalcKnight
|_

Posted: 26 Jun 2006 05:38:27 pm    Post subject:

Heyyy, Super Speler! It's been a while. How'd you do on your exams?

To be more on topic, so it's been updated? Meaning I need to change the code? Sure, anything new?

-=SilverCalcKnight=-
axcho

Posted: 27 Jun 2006 12:35:08 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the info. I'm still not sure how the physics are supposed to be, but I can probably figure that out by looking at the code again, now that I know what all the variables do.

Quote:
Level's are stored and displayed externally (and in a completely different way then implyed by the sample level).
Could you tell me how you are storing the levels? I might want to use the method for my Ninja game. Smile
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 27 Jun 2006 12:52:27 pm    Post subject:

axcho wrote:
Quote:
Level's are stored and displayed externally (and in a completely different way then implyed by the sample level).
Could you tell me how you are storing the levels? I might want to use the method for my Ninja game. Smile
[post="83045"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The second I finish the code I'll send it to you, it's about 50% done. If you tell me how the level's in Ninja work and what is displayed often I can customize it for your game as well.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 4 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement